Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Scioto, Big Walnut, SF Licking, Kokosing, and Hocking are all at flood stages, and it looks like we could get some serious storms the next two days. At least it seems like there is an end in site. Things should dry up quickly with some fair summer weather.

I hope this year's spawns aren't being damaged, but that is probably too much to hope for at this point.

Be careful out there. People slip in and drown in rivers all the time when conditions are like this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Drove past the Kokosing today in Howard. Up over the banks farther than I have ever seen. Gonna be 2 weeks before you will be able to fish down this way. On another note Apple Valley got lowered 2-3 feet over the weekend. I am sure that didn't help the situation either downstream of Howard. The management of the marina were getting complaints of the water being too high and damaging peoples boats. I had just fished it Friday and I would say even with all the rain we had in the past 2 weeks the water levels were at an acceptable level. As of yesterday 1pm the levels were so low many people had almost dry docks! Kind of one of those situations where more rain would help the lake but detrimental to others downstream!

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,941 Posts
Be careful out there. People slip in and drown in rivers all the time when conditions are like this.
I agree streamstalker -
It'll take a while to get back to safe conditions at this point. This has been a wet 2-1/2 weeks.

Be careful, and don't take chances.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Haven't seen the kokosing in a couple days..but it was nasty when I last seen it hezzer... I've been camping since monday up near lexington and dang has this rain made a mess of it.. .good thing I moved the cooler of beer next to the tent or I'd be miserable!!...also for you clearfork fishers.. good luck firstly every park access is closed. We fishing near the marina at the bridgebthat crosses the river. .. water is just feet away from the bottom of the bridge..its a wreck!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Bass & Catfish Charter Service
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just made a drive across Knox County to assess the river. Kokosing is really bad. Not sure how much more water it will take before parts of Millwood Road are under water. Apple Valley Lake was lowered on Sat 2-3 feet. Just drove down to the boat ramp and it is back to where it was prior to the lowering. Not sure how much rain we got last night but it must of been an ass load! Pictures are of Kokosing River at Millwood Canoe Access.

Attachments

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
It's not all bad. Floods help clean the rivers, moving gravel around, making holes deeper, cleaning the banks. Last year we needed a few massive floods, flows got way too low and full of algea and gunk. Love going out after these gully washers and seeing a different river.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
This sucks. Lost March and now July's probably toast. Stupid smallie habit. :mad::mad::mad:
July is far from toast, unless we get another 10+ day spree of nothing but scattered strong thunderstorms. Sure we may get another shower or two in the next 20 days, but nothing like we've seen in the past 3 weeks. This coming weeks forecast of 0 rain and moderate temperatures will allow almost all local flows to come down, fast. Remember these fish haven't been feeding well the past 2-3 weeks and are likely borderline starving at this point, look for a phenomenal bite once the creeks/rivers get to a *decent* level (decent may not be what most of you consider "optimal" btw...).

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
It's not all bad. Floods help clean the rivers, moving gravel around, making holes deeper, cleaning the banks. Last year we needed a few massive floods, flows got way too low and full of algea and gunk. Love going out after these gully washers and seeing a different river.
The Olentangy was roaring below Dodridge today; the freshly exposed river to the south is likely getting re-worked in ways we can't even imagine. Going to be some good holes all throughout that stretch when the water finally comes down...

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This coming weeks forecast of 0 rain and moderate temperatures will allow almost all local flows to come down, fast.
Yeah, it's nothing like when the levels get this way in the spring and take forever to come down. It's like the difference between putting a wet blanket in the dryer on cool vs. hot. All the plants are drinking it up too.

I woke up this morning with plans to drive 1:45 to the closest flow I could find. It's blown out now too. Let's hope we don't get the severe weather they are calling for today.

Love going out after these gully washers and seeing a different river.
Yeah, there are going to be some changes out there...Watch out for that tree! :D

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Who knows, just want to get out and try my new Abu Garcia rod, tried to buy one from where Larry works but he bought most of them up himself!
Can always float the one me you and Larry did a few weeks back, it's high but falls quickly, or we could hit New water that's controlled by Corp of engineers, most are dumping insane water now, but come down to fishable levels faster than others

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.