Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
find me on YouTube: catchNrelease
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to order some new baits to try for smallies when I came across this hellgrammite pattern. I am embarrassed to admit I have never thrown a hellgrammite style bait before so this was a new experience for me. Needless to say, this bait has a spot in my top 5 for smallmouth fishing in creeks and rivers for now on. Enjoy this live creek fishing report from a tributary in Southwest Ohio! stay safe and tight lines..LETS GOO!

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Cool stuff! I also plan on incorporating some creature like baits on ned type head when I start smallie fishing this summer.
Here's a couple local choices fyi. Cant an wont say there better then the elaztechs cause there prolly not. But I've always been a fan of venom lures
Centipede Font millipedes Fishing lure Insect
Botany Plant

They also sell there version of a ned head,and a ned head with a bent shank for weedless nedding

·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool stuff! I also plan on incorporating some creature like baits on ned type head when I start smallie fishing this summer.
Here's a couple local choices fyi. Cant an wont say there better then the elaztechs cause there prolly not. But I've always been a fan of venom lures View attachment 356655 View attachment 356657
They also sell there version of a ned head,and a ned head with a bent shank for weedless nedding
Yea I am new to the ned game so I am exploring all kinds of different baits and ned heads.. I got some seedless ned heads too! Excited to see what this season will hold for me!

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Yea I am new to the ned game so I am exploring all kinds of different baits and ned heads.. I got some seedless ned heads too! Excited to see what this season will hold for me!
I've been using it a couple years now,there straight fish catchers. I'm not a big fan of the wire weed guards on the zman ned heads. When I need to go weedless I brake these guys out
Auto part

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have to find some of those seedless ned heads. Dentist said if I keep chewing the seeds my teeth will break!:D

·
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
Curious, in creeks and rivers, how do you keep the NedHead from getting stuck in the rocks? I've given up hundreds of jigheads, tubes and everything else to the rocky bottom. How do you keep these from burying in the rocks?

I've got a bag of Hellgremmites I'd like to try.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Curious, in creeks and rivers, how do you keep the NedHead from getting stuck in the rocks? I've given up hundreds of jigheads, tubes and everything else to the rocky bottom. How do you keep these from burying in the rocks?

You don’t lol, sacrifice to the fish gods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

Unfortunately, you can't...

·
Paddle N Fin Kayak Fishing Podcast
2,278 Posts

Actually there are companies out there making Ned EWG hooks you can Texas rig ned rig baits now. Lifted jigs, venom lures to name a few. Can be bought on tackle warehouses website.

Lifted jigs

Venom lures

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Actually there are companies out there making Ned EWG hooks you can Texas rig ned rig baits now. Lifted jigs, venom lures to name a few. Can be bought on tackle warehouses website.

Lifted jigs

Venom lures

I’ve got some of these but I feel like the hard hook set that is required on weedless plastics kind of defeats the purpose of Ned rigs; a light hookset at most should be all that is required when finesse fishing to preserve the presentation. I do love Venom Lures though.

·
2,278 Posts
I’ve got some of these but I feel like the hard hook set that is required on weedless plastics kind of defeats the purpose of Ned rigs; a light hookset at most should be all that is required when finesse fishing to preserve the presentation. I do love Venom Lures though.

Depends on the product I suppose. Zman elastic would last forever.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Depends on the product I suppose. Zman elastic would last forever.
I don’t mean preserve the bait itself, I mean how you are presenting it. A home run swing would pull the bait way out of the strike zone and could spook any interested fish. With a Ned rig I kind of just reel the line up tight and the fish usually hooks itself. Not to say the weedless Ned heads aren’t good, but aren’t quite the same niche for me.

·
2,278 Posts
I don’t mean preserve the bait itself, I mean how you are presenting it. A home run swing would pull the bait way out of the strike zone and could spook any interested fish. With a Ned rig I kind of just reel the line up tight and the fish usually hooks itself. Not to say the weedless Ned heads aren’t good, but aren’t quite the same niche for me.

The presentation is similar with regular Ned head or an EWG. I’ve even tried T rigging a TRD on a ned rig and caught fish that way. You don’t have to set the hooks hard with either of these ewg hooks or ned heads.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The presentation is similar with regular Ned head or an EWG. I’ve even tried T rigging a TRD on a ned rig and caught fish that way. You don’t have to set the hooks hard with either of these ewg hooks or ned heads.
Well seeing has you have caught more big bass this year already that maybe I ever have, I’m going to trust you on this and try them more this year. I have a whooole bunch of Venom and Z Man Ned rig stuff that I acquired over the winter lol.

·
2,278 Posts
Well seeing has you have caught more big bass this year already that maybe I ever have, I’m going to trust you on this and try them more this year. I have a whooole bunch of Venom and Z Man Ned rig stuff that I acquired over the winter lol.

I’m no expert whatsoever. I attribute my success this year so far to the influx in fishing days thanks to this virus crap lol. I’ve fished probably close to 50 days since beginning of March already lol

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I’m no expert whatsoever. I attribute my success this year so far to the influx in fishing days thanks to this virus crap lol. I’ve fished probably close to 50 days since beginning of March already lol
I am very close to getting a yak so maybe I’ll see you out there someday!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've found the zman jigs bend quite a bit with each fish, and have broken several pretty easily. Perhaps I need to use a heavier weight....but usually try to go as light as possible that is still cast able for the conditions. Any recommendations on alternative brands for a ned rig with a stronger hook? How are the Venoms/Lifted jigs on this front? Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts