Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my son's boat as he moved to Denver. I posted the ad on Craigslist and got this response today:

-------------------------

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my son and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick i after i have made the payments.I hope to read back from you soon
---------------------------------------

Sorry guy. Go take your crap somewhere else.:D:D

·
5,997 Posts
Well really don't understand how you can get messed up. Pay Pal deals bank to bank. If its a check wait for it to clear. Just don't let go till cash is in the bank and you have called to clarify. Your email account is easy to get off line and they really can't do any thing to you with it. I have used Pay Pal for years and most all online stores even some chains use it. Its said to be the safest online banking there is. But like I said if the cash gets there before you release the boat your good. I sold an 18 footer this way.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Daddy,
Pretty obvious just from some of the verbage and his choice of words , that he's a foreigner and a scammer! Sucks we gotta put up with them.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
You can also check this guys paypal standings and transaction history to make sure he doesnt have a bunch of complaints or usernames under his accounts or accounts. If he is in good standing for some time and this is not his first transaction I really wouldnt worry to much. You can also take down the ID and plate numbers of his agent incase the agreement goes south for some reason. The buyer really has more to lose than you buying site unseen is a bit of a risk with no guaranties. It is up to you to do your do-dilligence. You can check him out also before the transaction to see if he really is where he says he is. I think you can call his base personel department for a job verification which should be easy.
Sounds to me like a quick easy sale to me.
later
donm

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well really don't understand how you can get messed up. Pay Pal deals bank to bank. If its a check wait for it to clear. Just don't let go till cash is in the bank and you have called to clarify. Your email account is easy to get off line and they really can't do any thing to you with it. I have used Pay Pal for years and most all online stores even some chains use it. Its said to be the safest online banking there is. But like I said if the cash gets there before you release the boat your good. I sold an 18 footer this way.
It sounds too good to be true so it probably is.

He would probably deposit into my PP account using a bogus foreign account.

CL is full of scammers.

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,432 Posts
Are you people really dumb enough to think this is not a scam??
This is one of the oldest scams there is. To think someone is going to send money to your account then have a stranger pick up the boat. If your nieve enough to fall for this please contact me about a bridge I have for sale that leads to Ocean front property I have for sale in Arizona.

Report this to Craigs list ASAP.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is one of the oldest scams there is. To think someone is going to send money to your account then have a stranger pick up the boat. If your nieve enough to fall for this please contact me about a bridge I have for sale that leads to Ocean front property I have for sale in Arizona.

I agree man...I feel no sympathy for dumb people who get duped by this method..Boatnut,you're right about how he constructs his conversation differently as well..

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Whenever they say they are out of town, and that an 'agent' will pick up the merchandise, paypal or not, you are about to get scammed.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Dale if you got one of them bridge's in OHIO I'll take it.lol:D

·
Soutwest Ohio Muskie Assc
341 Posts
It's obvious that it is not on the up and up, but what is this guys angle? I can't figure how he plans to pull the scam. Did he provide an actual link for you to click on? If so maybe he hacks you, gets your bank account info when you sign up for paypal. Joys of the net, dirt bags!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's obvious that it is not on the up and up, but what is this guys angle? I can't figure how he plans to pull the scam. Did he provide an actual link for you to click on? If so maybe he hacks you, gets your bank account info when you sign up for paypal. Joys of the net, dirt bags!

Nothing other than the PP link he posted in his reply. I did not click in it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
this is a big scam . my daughter listed a horse on cl . we got the same reply . in military pay with papal agent pickup blblbl . then they wanted me to send money to pickup agent befor i got paid . you see where this was going . i tried to get info on the guy through some high ups and there was none to be found . beware

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
I have found that most deals done, face to face with cash in hand turns out better than any other method.... Why cant his (agent) show up with the money. besides who buys a boat with out seeing it on the water???
SCAM

MAC

·
Registered
468 Posts
OSUdaddy dont listen to anyone who trys to tell you this isnt a scam, this is one of the biggest internet scams going ! Trust me I have had almost the exact same email on every single thing I have ever listed on craigs list, that and the one where I am sending a representative with your payment. Pure forein rip off!!!!!!! Sad thing is it obviously fooled some people even on here !! Run Daddy Run !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Akron
2,440 Posts
Here is a reply I got from a recent Craigs list listing.

l really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold, please do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance,anyways
I don't have time to come over to take a look because of my
Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the shipment, I'll
take care of that by engaging the services of a mover, hence I'll be
sending a Certified check and it will be delivered to you via United Parcel
Service (UPS), so I'll need you to provide me with the following
information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

First Name.........Last Name.......
Street Address ...........................
City, State, Zip Code ......................
Cell Phone Number ...........................

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check..........Best Regards.

--
Brian Mattozzi Sutterfield

·
XXX
1,063 Posts
That's almost identical response that I got from someone the other day about a bike I was selling.. weird thing is, I went into my email to try and find the message and re read it, and now its not in my inbox or outbox , I never responded back after he offered to buy it. Just seemed to weird..
Here is a reply I got from a recent Craigs list listing.

l really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider
it sold, please do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance,anyways
I don't have time to come over to take a look because of my
Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the shipment, I'll
take care of that by engaging the services of a mover, hence I'll be
sending a Certified check and it will be delivered to you via United Parcel
Service (UPS), so I'll need you to provide me with the following
information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

First Name.........Last Name.......
Street Address ...........................
City, State, Zip Code ......................
Cell Phone Number ...........................

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check..........Best Regards.

--
Brian Mattozzi Sutterfield

·
Banned
14,059 Posts

would you please bring the bridge to the icw in ft pierce florida this saturday. i,ll send you your money on mon. to the address of your choice.
your bestest friend

·
5,997 Posts
Ok lets see you keep the boat till money not check is in your account.
They pick up after you get cash in bank.
Done it a few times still not burnt.
If this is a scam just were does the scam part come in?
Its not logical to think if you get CASH They get product its a scam.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts