·
Registered
1,558 Posts
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers couldn't have said it better

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,906 Posts
My Mom always said that critters are a lot smarter than most folks give them credit for. When my buddy came home from the hospital after getting all busted up, his roommate had a hospital bed brought in. My buddy's main GSP hunter, Abby, would jump up there and lay beside him. He wondered why she would do that, since it wasn't her normal behavior to get in bed with him. His roommate told him that she knew he was hurting and was trying to make him feel better. Also, she was kind of stressed because it was bird hunting season and he couldn't take her out. His wife suggested to me that it would be really nice if I could get her out in the field, because she knew what time of year it was!

So, that Saturday I took her out to the club to hunt stocked pheasant. When we put up a bird I wanted to get it for her so bad, believe me, I felt the pressure! I whacked that bird hard, and it was dead before it hit the ground. Here comes Abby with the bird, but there was a snag. She would only retrieve to my buddy. So, when she got close, I could see her looking around to find Bruce and, not seeing him, looking confused. I tried to praise her up and call her in, but she just sat down with the bird in her mouth. I talked calmly to her and approached, putting my hand on the birds feet and giving her the "give" command that she had been taught. She let go of the bird and gave it to me. After that I took her out every chance I got. At the end of pheasant season we had a healthy, well adjusted dog!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I work with the public and see and deal with hundreds of people a week .99% are O.K. but the 1% just are unbelievable.A dog will give you unconditional love and loyalty and when they come in they get a treat.They know all of us with snacks and come right up to us.Thank God for dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts