this almost went up my taipipe.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freyedknot, Jul 12, 2008.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i was setting up to troll north out of edgewater this am, and kept seeing something behind me out of the corner of my eye. i thaught it was just the downtown buildings? it turned out to be this freighter, and not even a warning horn?

Attached Files:

2. THAT THING IS HUGE!!!! I always get sea sick on Erie.. I Wonder if I was on that monster if I would still spend all day blowing chunks???:confused:

3. Pretty sure it being a working vessel you are responsible to avoid it.

4. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Wheew! When I clicked on this thread I was afraid it was going to be a bad colonoscopy story. Glad to see it was it was just another one of those "Almost got hit by a 900' freighter" incidents. ;)

5. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

but if he gave you the horn, you probably would have needed you privacy to wipe:eek:

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

You must have a ginormous tailpipe.

7. He's not falling for the banana in the tailpipe...

8. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

We almost had this in ours... scary! Saw them coming right at us from a distance... and as they got closer realized they were not budging for our little boat - we were anchored. We must have blended into the brown water in our brown boat. We popped anchor and then got out of the way and took this photo.

Scared the poop out of me!

Attached Files:

9. freyedknot

N.S. do you think underway would be considered as working? you would think ,that just like a train, he would give a toot when approaching a small vessel from behind, glad i did not make any quick moves his way. i have seen them run thru perch packs and trollers too.

10. Thirty some years ago, I was out of Catawba, when some un-forecasted fog rolled in. We were bobbing and weaving just above idle(lights on, and an occasional blast from our boat horn) when we hear a BLAST from a freighter. The sound came from up in the air! It had to be only 30 or so yards from us and we could see a huge white wall as it moved past. I gassed the engine and made a retreat at 90 degrees to the ship to avoid any possible huge, swamping wake being thrown in our direction. Scared the heck out of us. I hate fog on lakes-it's really... erie!!

11. freyedknot

there were a couple of navy frigates in the cleveland area last sunday. that was a neat site to see, but i was not close at all.but they were highly visible from 5 miles away.

12. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

What is the wake like from one of these big fellas?

Buick

13. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

LMAO
    Glad your safe FK

14. freyedknot

the wake is not big at all. maybe 3 or 4 ft at best.

15. Mac

Mac

I see them going up and down the Black River all the time. It isn't the wake that is the problem because they are going so slow it is the turbulence they create. I swear I see the bottom come up and roll over 2-3 times after they go by.

16. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Right of way my arse.

Tonnage rules..........:p