Ohio Game Fishing banner

Thinking of trying new line.....

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr. Creosote 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about trying some new lines on my Ultralight rigs. I have been using 4 lb. Iron Silk for a while now, and have had no problems with it until recently. Its starting to have a tendency to coil excessively off the spool at times. Really annoying to have to mess with straightening them out. Last 2 filler spools have been really disappointing.

I was thinking of trying out either Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Silver Thread Excalibur. Both are about the same price, and like Iron Silk, they are copolymer lines. I've tried P-Line Flouroclear, and hated it - simply crap line (broke easily, coiled very bad, etc.). Anyone use Yo-Zuri or Excalibur? Mainly looking for info only on 2-6 lb tests, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

#2 ·
Jake, have you tried using "Line Magic" to help out with the coils? If you have been happy with that particular line other than the coils, Line Magic just may be your ticket for continuing to use Iron Silk. Give it a try unless you really want to make the change in the line you use.

My suggestion for lines to try would be Stren Magnaflex and P-line CXX.

#3 ·
Well, I think the change might be more for the sake of just changing lines to see if I like something better, but the coils are a pain sometimes, usually after a few casts when starting out there are no major problems, but the first few sometimes are pretty nasty. I guess coiling isn't really the word I want to use, but the coils sometimes get caught on the guides toward the top and create a mini birdsnest sometimes. Oh well. May try out the Silver Thread here next time I go to the store. A little experimentation now and then never hurts.

What is this Line Magic stuff? I've never seen it (well, never looked for it either actually). Is it similar to a fly line cleaner to condition line? If so, I have fly line cleaner/floatant that I had thought about using sometimes on regular mono to see what might happen.

Jake

#6 ·
The reason your are getting more coils than you might be expecting is because the line is a copolymer. If you are using a small spinning reel, and I guess that you are by the lb test line, you will probably have better sucess with a regular mono line with low memory, or at least I have. The two that I always use on my ultralights are trilene ultra thin (no longer made) and BassPro excell line. The excell line is the most limp memeory free line that I've ever found. I've never had much sucess with flourocarbons or copolymers on small spinning reels.

Kim

#7 ·
I personally use 4lb Fireline on my ultralight rods/reels. What I found for me to help with the bird nest problem is when you spool the new line onto the reel. Make about 10 cranks of the reel, then stop, then take some electrical tape and tape down the first 10 winds on the spool. Then fill the spool as normal. Seems that these new lines out there might be spinning on the spool a bit. I have yet to get any birds nest issues after doing this. I can't take credit for the idea, this was Steelhead1's tip given to me.

flash--------------------------------out

#10 ·
Hey Kim....Co-polymer coils more than regular mono??????
I dont use regular monos because of this very reason..too much line memory.
I use only co-polymer lines and fish 6lb. test a heck of a lot all year long for smallmouth bass and never have a problem.
In cool water reg. mono gets stiff and is a pain to use...co-poly stays the same and ive caught smallies in low 30 degree water temps. and it handles just like summertime.
Superlines are ok for those who like them, but i personaly think its a waste unless your jigging in 50 ft. of water or trolling very deep. I used all of them and found them to be more pain than thier worth...and they are not worth the high price tag some charge.
Plus with the no stretch, i would have to replace all my Fast action St. Croix rods NO THANKS! I used these lines and broke off WAY more than with my normal lines because of fast action rods an hard hooksets..lol

Jake stick with Silver Thread Excalibur(what i used to use), Gamakatsu G-power(what i use now) or McCoy Mean Green(trying it out) and you'll love them.

#12 ·
I normally let all the line out and hook the tag end to a tree or sumthin and reel in while walking toward the tree keeping constant tension on the line. This seems to eliminate the problem w/ about any mono line. It may stretch the line a little but that's what the drags for on reels. And the part of the line it stretches was the weaker part anyhow ;)

#13 ·
Riverrat,

Fishing lines are lot like women, they come in a lot of different types because everyone has there own preferences of what they like. My experience with co's has never been good, your's has, that's what makes the world go round and keeps so many line manufacturers in business.

Kim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.