1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
here kitty kitty!
467 Posts
i have a ugly stick SPS1186-2H spinning model .... i use it for catfishing and it does a very nice job... however... don't think it would handle a big flathead ... although i have never caught a big flathead... but i've got some big channel out of sandusky bay with it ... and i've also caught some yellow bullhead that weigh maybe a half pound... it is sensitive and has a nice tip.... and i've cast a 2 ounce weight with it... so all that being said...

i would think it would handle 20-25 pounders... but i don't know about pulling one out the trees, tangles, and other junk the flatties get into... i sure would like to try it!!! :)

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have been using some regular cat rods for flathead and I've used my pin and Clarus for big channels. My buddy actually uses a heavy rod with his pin for flatheads but he hasn't got one over 20 pounds. My brother got a 30+ pounder on my first cat rod tiger spinning haha. I totally understand why you NEED a heavier rod to keep them out of the crap once you hook them but I just don't have the funds.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just received my Tangling With Catfish Extremes yesterday. They seem pretty heavy duty. I haven't used them yet so I can't post how they handle fish.
Although I have used the Ugly Stick catfish rods on the Ohio River for the past 3 years. I have caught a 55 pound bluecat along with a few 40's. The rods did fine. However they dont have much backbone if you did have to try to pull the fish from some cover. Good luck on your purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts