Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you are enjoying a day on the water canoeing,hiking, exploring or whatever brings you to a river.
Sure the water is hypnotizing and lulls you into a state of child like ignorance. Somewhere nearby a guy is wading or paddling/floating in the stream and fishing but it doesn't quite register.
You have a dog with you?
A kid or kids
How about a troop?

Here is a guide to help you focus on everybody having a good day on the water.

Chime in as I'm sure we all have lots to contribute....
I'll get the ball rolling with some if my top boneheaded moves by these folks.

- do not skip stones anywhere near ANYONE in the water. Angler or no. You could at worst hurt them and at least scare away the fish he is hunting.
- it is in fact NOT a good idea to pick up a stick and hurl it into the water for your ill trained, overly rambunctious big dog to fetch 100 times ( not even once) near an angler.
- run your canoe into a wading angler as you lose control of your vessel coming through a nice riffle and then yell at the girl in the from of your canoe to do a better job of steering!
(News flash Einstein, if you are in the back if a canoe, you are the steering wheel!)
- decide that hey, I'm going to get out of my canoe and push it for awhile through this long run. Then as you come upon a befuddled angler ask, " you catch fish outta this river"? Then get pissed because said angler says, " you paid 25$ to push that canoe"?

I can't wait to hear yours.
I'm aware that this thread may get moved. I'll keep you posted if it does and hope you all will as well.
Lets have some fun with this!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Barberton,Ohio
94 Posts
Be it lake, river, stream.

1. Carry your yak, inner tube, aluminum boat, ect down and throw it into the lake in the middle of bank fishermen then ask if your catching anything and where you should fish.( could have used boat launch or clear spot you passed 50 yards back closer to your car that had no one fishing.

2. Beach your $60,000 boat ( that's five times bigger than you need for the lake )right on the shore next to a fisherman just to let off 3 drunken women to use the bathrooms because you didn't get a toilet or didn't want to clean it. then when they get back blast off at full power back 40 feet then anchor and throw five feet from the bank fisherman's line.

3. Threaten to sue fisherman for hooking your dog in the water when it runs full speed into lake right into your bobber. I love animals also but on a park trail keep them on a leash when not in the dog park.

4. Please I'm not a free babysitter for your kids when you are fishing, don't get me wrong I enjoy kids and do take friends, ect kids out fishing I don't fish just help the kids, but keeping your four 2-3 year olds out of my tackle for safety sake all afternoon ain't fun for me.

5. Bring baseball team to park for meal after game carry picnic table closer to lake for better view is great. I enjoyed watching the kids have fun also but then take off leaving all your fast food trash and picnic table for me to clean up and drag table back( I'm disable with bad back ) not so much fun.

I never said one bad thing to these folks even the owner of the puppy (biggest beagle I ever caught)
Who offered to give me a new nose.

I enjoyed the time spent outdoors even with your annoyance and ignorance.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I would just like to say (AGAIN) when a guy is fishing a pond, even though it is public, and you have your dog with you, please think before you ENCOURAGE your retriever to chase the frog I'm throwing. Screw you if you got mad at me for going ape s*#t and scaring your dog out of the water but removing a 5/8oz frog from his throat would have been a lot worse for him! And honestly, did you really think that was a good idea. If you "thought" I was throwing a regular lure not a "frog looking thing" why would you think I was in the wrong? Sorry, this thread came at the perfect time for me to rant! Thanks for letting me get that out.

Mr. A

·
Registered
860 Posts
- run your canoe into a wading angler as you lose control of your vessel coming through a nice riffle and then yell at the girl in the from of your canoe to do a better job of steering!
(News flash Einstein, if you are in the back if a canoe, you are the steering wheel!)

Haha this same thing happened to me last month.

Great thread,

How about, don't bash a fisherman for his equipment and/or techniques. We're all here for the same reason.

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
- As you (drunkenly) try to park a canoe on top of a three year old playing on a beach… do not look shocked when the father of the three year old gently pushes the bow of your canoe back into the water, with his foot.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Go up and stand next to an angler, cast your line right next to his, ask him if he has caught anything, make as much small talk as possible, and ask if he has any lures you can have/borrow. Recipe for instant friendship!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Speaking of kids, never get so drunk that you can't form a sentence without every other word being an f bomb, even when your buddies tell you to shut up, as you are well within earshot of a 5 and 11 year old.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
157 Posts

Haha this same thing happened to me last month.

Great thread,

How about, don't bash a fisherman for his equipment and/or techniques. We're all here for the same reason.
This happened to me twice in the same day. I just had to laugh in order not to get mad.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I get unnerved when I hear grown adults screaming in their canoes. We get it. It's slightly faster moving water. Handle your liquor better and relaaaax.

I've been run into 3 times while wading this year. I've been dragged into 2 fights between couples being drunk and arguing with each other because they didn't know how to canoe.

I really hate when canoers ask, "catch anything?!" Reason being is because I have already been asked the same question 37 times before you asked me.

I hate when canoers state that I should be fishing in a particular area because they saw a fish that was "this big."

And my number one pet peeve is when somebody who has no idea how to fish recommends I use "corn" or "Wheaties" or "chicken livers" for bait.

I. Hate. Canoers.

I get out on my yak and enjoy a beer or 12 and float down the river with friends all the time, I do not understand why people are so loud and disrespectful to others around them. I especially do not understand why people think that the beer can fairy comes out at night to pick up the beers cans floating in the river next to their canoe.

I feel much better now. This should be the start of a group counseling session.

·
Burnin line drowning worms
815 Posts
Amen amen amen I agree to the above

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
This is absolutely an EPIC thread idea!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts
I really hate when canoers ask, "catch anything?!" Reason being is because I have already been asked the same question 37 times before you asked me.
This also annoys me, I understand they are trying to be friendly but after being asked 25 times it gets old, I plan on getting a shirt that says (a lot on the front) and (not a f***in thing on the back) or make odd sounds to them like I am deaf and dumb to watch the looks on there faces!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
This also annoys me, I understand they are trying to be friendly but after being asked 25 times it gets old, I plan on getting a shirt that says (a lot on the front) and (not a f***in thing on the back) or make odd sounds to them like I am deaf and dumb to watch the looks on there faces!
There were a group of kids and parents canoeing by me earlier this year. When I say group, I mean probably 60 canoes. They were all just separated enough to each individually ask me if I caught anything. By about the middle of the group, I put my cell phone next to my ear so I could fish for more than 5 seconds without being asked the same question. I fully understand they don't realize the canoe in front of them just asked the same question, but it's still annoying. To be fair, most ppl out there are respectful.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Also, there's nothing worse than running into a guy with a "fishing uniform" on. Big floppy khaki hat, khaki vest, and full waders in the middle of the summer. The best part is most of these guys are terrible fisherman. I'll never forget last year walking up to a riffle and talking to this d-bag who really was convinced that he was the man. He was such a arrogant ass that I stayed and fished the other side of the riffle (didn't crowd him at all) with full intention of showing him up with my zebco and gym shorts. After catching 3-4 fish pretty quickly to his 0, he packed up and headed out. He may have been planning on leaving at that time, but in my own mind he wasn't too happy that some clown with a zebco was landing them and he wasn't. This gent drives a very tiny little sports car, some of you may have seen him around.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
My brother handles the question well. They ask if we caught any and he says " oh, a couple.. A COUPLE DOZEN!" Then laughs like an idiot. Everyone gets a chuckle, even though its a dumb joke.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
People swimming or walking through you're casting radius and asking if you're catching anything is really annoying. Although I will say that I don't really get mad about people asking if I'm catching. Usually a "not yet" or "a couple" will get them going on their ways. Unless small unattended kids who hang around.

Not to sound like a perv, but I kinda like these times. I feel it gives me a chance to teach them something they're parents don't. Admittingly, if I'm in a crunch to get bait, it can be nerve wrecking. but I feel if I don't teach em what's what they'll just be another rude person getting in the way later in life. Couldn't fish at east wood unless this wasnt true, that's for sure.

Id also say, as this happened to me few weeks back, that splasing water and throwing large rocks at each other and then cheering me on when I actually manage to catch something despite the utter chaos isn't necessary. Saying to your husband/boyfriend "look hunny he caught something" is acceptable whereas wooting and screaming like your at a boy band concert is not.

Also, not sure if true, but my cousin told me boat fishers are supposed to give right of way to bank fisherman. Either way, flipping your rig at the bank where I'm cat fishing lines on bottom is quite annoying as well. Especially since I knew he seen me there as I flashed my head lamp at him as he got closer to me while coasting down the lake bank.

He was twenty feet from me straight out and was casting so close I could see what he was using when it landed a foot from my feet. There may have been some loud explitives exchanged but was immediately resolved by my dumb a$$ running into the water after him, followed by him burying the throttle in retreat. God I love eastwood!

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of my all time favorite responses to "what are you fishing for?" Is, " because I love to" OR " cause I just can't help it".
Saying this with a big goofy smile on your face....priceless.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Last week I was bank fishing at alum and it was daylight and the stupid teenagers were looking right at me so I knew they saw me fishing and they came straight at me in there speed boat as fast as they could about 12 feet out from shore and turned real fast to make huge waves like seriously it's really annoying when they do stuff like that have some respect...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts