close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Things to improve boat ramps....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Knowing that we are watched here by our ODNR friends... maybe we could plant some ideas in their heads as to what items would really make launching and loading our boats at public ramps a better experience. I'll start with a few ideas of my own...

1- Lighting
    a. More of it
    b. Strategically placed to aid in boat preperation

2- Garbage receptacles
    a. Numerous containers so as not to overflow
    b. Placed in area where boats are prepared
    for towing.

3- Courtesy Docks
    a. A place for Solo Boaters to keep their boats
    while parking/retrieving their tow vehicle.
    b. A place that people could fish from and be out
    of the way of boaters.

4- Boat Launch Etiquette Signs
    a. Clearly stating that TOW VEHICLE has right of
    way.
    b. Clearly state that the "rampside" of the dock is
    NOT a place for unattended boats. All boats left
    unattended should be tied up to the "NON-
    ramp side of the dock.

Would you believe that we had to wait to launch our boat at mosquito lake because someone decided that they wanted to run across the street to buy minnows before he launched????? Oye.. what was he thinking?? lol
    We couldn't even use the other ramp because sitting in that lane was a woman (holding the boat to the dock with ropes) who was waiting for her husband.. who was parking the car... who had to make multiple trips back to his truck to load his stuff onto the boat... Men.. do us all a favor and TEACH your wives how to launch and load the boat!!!!! :C I am certain that this alone will speed up the launching/loading process.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've seen this on Erie and out of state, but not on inland lakes. A designated ramp for launching, and one for retrieval.

3. All good ideas :) Seems most people can't READ though :confused:Took me almost a hour last Sat to get my boat out-one boat no start at the ramp and his buddy with his boat both blocking ramps and dock :mad:One more thing make a ramp for the people that can load or unload their boat in less than 10 min :) Reel Lady not sure what you mean by tow vehicle has right of way??

4. All good ideas REEL LADY, especially the etiquitte signs. I can here the ODNR now: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. "If we would of passed the parking permit we could of done all that stuff for ya."

How bout unattended tow vehicles? Once saw a boat dealer put in at W.B. with a boat to check out after he had worked on it. He was by himself, mind you. He launched and motored on down the lake and left his truck/trailer in the water at the ramp. I thought that to be a bit nervey. Your experience at Mosquito would of gotten my attention, for sure. Some people just don't get it. See ya.

5. This would have been helpful one day at Hoover when a storm moved in and everyone decided to get off the water at the same time. I think these signs would be good to have facing out on to the lake so people could read them as they came in and docked their boat on the rampside. :rolleyes: All good ideas though Reel Lady. Hopefully some of them will be used and we will all benefit from them.

6. Reel Lady

Meaning that if you are going to leave your wife/partner/friend sitting in your boat hanging on to the dock while you go get your vehicle, that you should place your boat on the outside of the dock where boats are not launching or loading.
    You see, what I see happen is this.... Boaters will leave their boats in the launch ramp lane (sometimes with, sometimes without passengers), they will go and get their tow vehicle, and then have to wait in line behind all of the other tow vehicles. This completely blocks off this launch ramp lane. But, if they were on the other side of the dock until the tow vehicle came to retrieve them.. then many other boats could have been launched and retrieved during the time it took this person to go and get their vehicle and wait in line till it was their turn.

7. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Old Greybeard, you're absolutely right! I've seen the idiots from the local marina launch a boat and run it all over the lake while their truck and trailer sat in a launching lane at the dock on West Branch. Where was the park ranger then who always gives the general public a bad time instead of being courteous and trying to be of help? Both of these people leave a lot to be desired. In my opinion they are Nitwits running rampant!

8. Yes I agree with that.Most people just don't care :rolleyes:

9. Reel Lady

Well, being the kind of person that I am... I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they just don't know better. I know there are some out there that are just rude, but I'm sure that some people are just totally unaware of the Do's, Dont's and Shouldn'ts of a boat ramp.
    For instance....The very first time we took our boat out onto West Branch I had NO idea that the other side of the bridge was all a No Wake area. So you ask.. Well Marsh.. what did you do? LOL... I went flying across the lake being absolutely oblivious to the fact that people were not looking at us because they liked our boat or recognized us.. People were looking at us because we were being totally rude!!!!! I can laugh about it now.. But I'm sure that none of those fisherman were too pleased with us :eek: But.. my point is that we just didnt know. Neither one of us had ever been on that lake, or any other lake for that matter before. Those darn novice boaters.. lol Hey, we all gotta start somewhere :eek:

10. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Thats what I like about fishing the river.

No docks, no lights, no waiting, Lynn and I have a very set routine that we launch the boat, tops of three min. in and out, generally it is total darkness but we get used to it. Most always we have to beach the boat, as long as there are no big rocks it's not a problem, but the boat does show the wear from abuse, but that's why we bought it to fish out of. All the years I have been boating all of the above suggestions are real good but it is never going to change.

When I launch at lakes I like to sit back and see what the "norm" is, at CJ it is dictated as what the locals do, if you mess up there routine be it good or bad right or wrong they don't like it and a lot of owners mind set is my boat is much better or bigger than yours or I have money so I make the rules.

Couple of weeks ago Lynn and I were on Cj a storm came up, boy you would swear that everybody was made of sugar, people running all over everywhere, docked all there boats at the main docks, 2 courtesy docks were left open so when it came time to get there boats out, it was a major cluster, sat on the water with Fishb8it and watched all the happenings, got soaked but at least we waited till all the idiots were off the water then we trailered our boat.

11. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

The state post a sign at the ramp in my area that says
    "15 minute max time limit at ramp.
    I said something to a couple jet skiers one day who had launched and were dressing(dry suits) on the ramp, they just pointed to the sign and asked me "what's the rush?"
    People just do things at differnt speeds, like stated on here the last few times this topic has been posted, I've seen whole bass tournies launched before some people can launch thier jet ski! Alot of people omly go a few times a year, so it's an event for them at the ramp, like RL said they just don't know!
    A little patience will make eveyones day better! :D
    By the way I took someones advice here and have been trying to teach my wife AGAIN to ramp the boat, It only cost me one trailer light so far! and that was in the parking lot! :D I guess we're not all pros!

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

another reason i love fishing hoover :D
    not that i don't see my share of moronitis there,but it's very minimal when compared to ther lakes i've fished.
    so far this year,i've only had one small incident.probably would have had a couple more if i was out more :rolleyes:

here i am,sitting in my boat while toad is backing me into the water,after another boatt launched.this guy stands on the dock holding the boat,blocking our launch,while his buddy parked the truck and jerked around getting his gear.
    i'm waving toad in,and he keeps inching back and stopping,for fear of hitting the other boat.my waving gets more vigorous,as this guy just keeps pulling the boat back a few inches at a time,and is getting on my last nerve :mad:
    after severalmoves,he says"how you doing?"
    DUH!!!!
    that was it for my last nerve.
    so i tell him."i'lll be doing a lot better if i can just get this boat in the water."after which i waved toad on again,and with my boat inches from the other one,the guy finally figured out i wasn't the least bit worried about pushing his boat out of the way ;)
    i'm sure they were rookies,but you would think the guy would have caught on a little sooner,since we kept backing in :rolleyes:

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think there should be NO Docks at the ramps... Only ramps. Have the docks away from the ramps, so everyone has to park there. Ever seen Brookville Lake in IN ?? No one can block with the boats, although the tow vehicles are blocking while they park the boat. It's not perfect, but you don't have boats parked blocking the ramps. Other than that, yes they need courtesy docks for boats to park at, and signs on the ramps, not to block the ramps.

14. mrfishohio

Here's an old shot from Brookville,IN 3-31-02 notice the docks on the sides, I'll look for another example.
    [​IMG]

15. mrfishohio

Here's a good shot...
    [​IMG]
    Here's one from 4-7-02 with my buddy picking me up.
    [​IMG]

16. mrfishohio

This is the Northern Pool...known as the "sailboat" ramps. Very deep ramp, the docks are in the center of the ramps. There's a pair of 2 ramps with a long dock between them. You have no option not to park there. You can move to the end of the dock while you park your tow vehicle. If the docks were off to each side, then the ramps would be clear.
    [​IMG]

17. Reel Lady

Brookville,IN...Hey now.... that is a great layout! Looks like someone was thinking....

18. mrfishohio

[​IMG]

You can see how the ramps get blocked quick. If there was no docks, then less blockage. Just move those present docks off to each side away from the ramps

19. Reel Lady

That is the solution! I hope ODNR is reading this :D

20. When they put ramps in the river they always put them straight in or in a creek. You cant get in if theres ice and you have to fight the current sideways to load the boat & debris always builds up on the ramps. In Tenn. they are angled down river so the current is not pushing you sideways and the debris will not build up on them and they dont freeze up.