Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago some cowards broke into my buddies house in marengo area and stole an 870 shotgun a safe a laptop big flat panel tv and then was spooked we are guessing by the ups guy. Its a long shot but anyone with any info pm me he's not so worried about the items cause we all know they are gone but these people need to be in jail. Anyone in the area watch your property close they hit in the middle of the day

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear that. I would guess that your buddy some how knew these low lifes or they at least knew he would be gone during the day.

I live in Delaware but I will keep an eye out and hopefully these idiots will be caught and charged for what they have done.

·
2 min 30 sec from Hoover
550 Posts
Hate to hear that! I got hit just north of Marengo back in the early 90's. They ended up catching the crooks in Union County but it turns out they lived in the area around Northern Lights in Columbus. The Union County Sheriff figured out who hit my house from an answering machine recovered from the thugs they caught that had a message with my friends name and number, called him and tracked me down. I think they target those areas 'cause they know no one is around during the day after a little observation. If you see any suspicious vehicle parked on the roads call it in.

I also think they know the county is way understaffed and take advantage of it.

I check Craigslist quite often and will keep an eye out.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Had some kids, we think, get into into a bunch of cars in the area a few weeks ago. We live kindof out of the way a little and the houses sit way back off of the road and are a long way apart. The thought of someone coming that far off of the road and walking around my house didn't sit well with me.

I upgraded my alarm system to include covering my two barns and added multiple motion detectors outside my home.

The outside motion detectors, when tripped, do not activate the alarm system, they only give be an audible tone in the house so I know if someone is walking around my house.

With my upgrade I went to cellular service that notifies me via text or e-mail, or both when ever the system is armed, disarmed or a alarm condition ( entry, smoke and fire, carbon monoxide) has occurred. I also set it up to send my wife the same notification. It is nice to know when a family member comes home or leaves. I can also monitor the system, arm and disarm the system from my I Phone

I really hate that I have to even have a security system, but there are just way too many cruds out there.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Had some kids, we think, get into into a bunch of cars in the area a few weeks ago. We live kindof out of the way a little and the houses sit way back off of the road and are a long way apart. The thought of someone coming that far off of the road and walking around my house didn't sit well with me.

I upgraded my alarm system to include covering my two barns and added multiple motion detectors outside my home.

The outside motion detectors, when tripped, do not activate the alarm system, they only give be an audible tone in the house so I know if someone is walking around my house.

With my upgrade I went to cellular service that notifies me via text or e-mail, or both when ever the system is armed, disarmed or a alarm condition ( entry, smoke and fire, carbon monoxide) has occurred. I also set it up to send my wife the same notification. It is nice to know when a family member comes home or leaves. I can also monitor the system, arm and disarm the system from my I Phone

I really hate that I have to even have a security system, but there are just way too many cruds out there.
what company do you use? and how much does that sort of system cost? thanks, been thinking of doing this with my house.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
there are alot of people that live in marengo considering it is such a tiny town we do have alot of problems with home invasions as well the only time marengo makes the news is when something bad happens haha just suprised to know there are so many ogfers living right beside me

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
what company do you use? and how much does that sort of system cost? thanks, been thinking of doing this with my house.
I live in the Grove City area.

I used a local company, JDMK Building Technologies LLC.

Call Joey, 614-301-2173 and ask for a quote. He is very good to work with. A military vet,that started his own small business and he even knows what he is doing. Tell him Kim recommended him and he might charge you more:)

I had service from ADT, formally Brinks. I was not overly happy with them. Their monitoring service was OK but customer service left a lot to be desired. I tried calling for weeks to get additional hardware installed with no success.

Also when I decided to cancel I started reading the fine print on the contract I signed when we moved into this house almost 3 years ago.

It was a 3 year contract and you are responsible for the 3 year term no matter what, if you move you still owe it, if you elect to turn off service you still owe it, if you die your estate still owes it:) That is all ok I guess pretty standard big company got you by the gonads type contract. The one provision that really bugged me was the automatic ONE YEAR contract renewal UNLESS you notify them in WRITING 30 days in advance of the contract expiration date.

With my new service, I purchased all new equipment, legally ADT owned my old system brains and panel. They do that to keep you from switching to another service. They tell you they own the equipment and want to come and remove everything and they are not responsible for any damage done to your walls or home during removal, that's all in the small print in the contract also.

Anyway I did some research, went with a new company, upgraded to the newest technology, added my barns in the system, added more smoke and fire, and carbon monoxide detectors, outside motions and only pay $20 a month for monitoring. ADT was 39.95 per month. AND there is NO contract with the new company, it is month to month. I even paid 12 months in advance and saved another $12 and we don't have to write a check every month.

Also if you wonder if a small company can offer the same professional monitoring as a big company I assure you they can. Many if not most alarm companies contract with a second party UL listed monitoring service to oversee you system. They do not directly monitor your systems themselves.

If you do add a security system read the fine print before you sign the dotted line. It is a racket

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
I almost forgot another great part of the ADT contract

If for some reason their system fails or if they fail and your house burns down or you are robbed or killed, they are not liable in any manner.

I know that is just standard legal disclaimers and everyone protects themselves but it was funny reading that just a couple of paragraphs after reading that I still owe them the contract amount even if I die.

Soooooooo, if a guy breaks into my house, kills me, and sets the house on fire to cover up the crime and system fails or ADT drops the ball and never calls police or fire, I still owe them the 3 year contract:D

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Once last thing and I promise I will stop. ADT does fire me up however.

I tried for 2 weeks to cancel my service by asking for the remaining balance on the contract, a final bill to be mailed to me and service to be terminated at the end of the current billing cycle, which was June 22. I finally was transferred through multiple departments to the CUSTOMER RETENTION department. I certainly know now why they have a CUSTOMER RETENTION department. I finally get the payoff amount and all is good except they turn off my service 5 days early and it took them 4 days to turn it back on when I call them with their mistake.

When asked why I was leaving ADT I explained it was the scam like business practices of the automatic one year contract renewal unless notified in writing 30 days prior. He did not even try and respond.

Ok I'm done, sorry

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

I live in Grove City as well, off of Alkire. I have had my truck rumaged through twice. Neighbor across the street had his back sliding door kicked in....relatively early on a Saturday evening.

A few of us have an idea of who it is....

Wouldn't you just love to catch them in the act!!!

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
I live in Grove City as well, off of Alkire. I have had my truck rumaged through twice. Neighbor across the street had his back sliding door kicked in....relatively early on a Saturday evening.

A few of us have an idea of who it is....

Wouldn't you just love to catch them in the act!!!
According to the Sheriff they,the same guys they think, hit Alkire the weekend after the hit everybody along 665 where I live.

Neighbor across the street said she saw a car with fins and 6 tail lights at the end of my driveway around midnight the night they got into my car. I keep looking.

There is another member that lives on Alkire also.

YES, I would dearly love to see them caught

·
don m
1,014 Posts
Check with all the neighbors even the ones you dont know to see if they have a video tape system that may have gotten something out of the ordinary for the cops to check on. An unknown walking near the cameras or a vehicle that made several slowwww passes past the camera view.
JMTCW
donm

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
According to the Sheriff they,the same guys they think, hit Alkire the weekend after the hit everybody along 665 where I live.

Neighbor across the street said she saw a car with fins and 6 tail lights at the end of my driveway around midnight the night they got into my car. I keep looking.

There is another member that lives on Alkire also.

YES, I would dearly love to see them caught
The last time they got into my truck, that day(Sunday) I was working out in garage and noticed a kid that I had not seen before walking a fat english bulldog. I may not have paid him much attention, except for the fact that he stopped just past my driveway and got on his cell.

Sure enough, the next morning my backpack, with all my school stuff, and a few other items was missing from my truck.

I know they see all the stuff in my garage and are hoping for a garage door opener.

Now, a week later my neighbor had his back sliding door kicked in. The contractor that came to fix it told him(this is before he knew about my truck) that a group has been going around the area, one will be walking a dog and if they see something they get on the phone and a teal colored minivan will come along and they rip someone off.

I don't see how residents know all this but the police can't figure it out and catch them.

One day they'll slip up and enter the wrong house.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i know just how he feels. we now own my mother-n-laws trailer in tenn. it has been broken into a few times now. we know who is doing it and even told the police when they came out. its my wife,s dead brothers wife, she lives next door. she broke in back in feb and cleaned the place out. she even took pictures of her daughter and grandkids that my mother-n-law had. so we know its her. but the law told us without an eye witness there was nothing they could do except file a report. she took everything that wasnt fastened down. she even took the toilet paper off the holders, wash cloths, towels, paper towels, trash bags, iron skillets, yahtzee games, coffee and filters, and much more stuff. then i went back down to check on things last week and our old heavy tv was gone. i had thought about adt also, but i dont like the fact you have to sign a 1 year contract. so i,ve decided the next time i go down i,m going to take a couple of nanny cams and set them up. but i,m going to replace my old laptop she stole and another tv. and some other stuff. so i can get her on video stealing all this stuff and not just being in the house. i just hope the video is enough for the police. it is a sick feeling to know some sorry sob has been in your home and you know who and the law cant even go look for your stuff. even tho were only there part time. it is our home.
sherman

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
If karma is real then those that do those types of things will get what they deserve eventually. It'd only be fitting that since they rob people of their belongings that it'd happen to them. You know they would cry like babies and want something done because it's not fair that their stuff got jacked:D.

It's a shame that people have to go to the lengths that they do just to keep their hard earned items where they belong,in their house or on their property. However it's the world in which we all reside in and there'e always gonna be idiots that want to go around and take what isn't theirs. And yes someday they will enter the wrong house or property and get exactly what they deserve;). Maybe we should start cutting off peoples hands when they get caught being a thief,they'd get caught once lose one hand and I'd bet they never do that crap again unless they was the dumbest person ever.

·
KEEPIN' TIGHT LINES
58 Posts
I remember in 91' me and my family bought a house that was about to be demolished (it had been boarded up for a few years) and started rebuilding it after it. So after a couple of months of works on it, we started to live there. On the first week living there, my father hears a bump in the night, he goes to check it out, its 3 creeps taking the boards of the front door and prying the door open with a crow bar.

He verbally warned them to get away they still keep trying to get in he fires off a couple of shots and they scatter and run around the back of the house intent on getting in. by this time the police come and my father had gone outside in pursuit of the crooks, the police bust him and take him to jail and they caught the 3 guys. Police said all his actions were right until he came outside with the firearm. The police could not figure out why they wanted in the house, well a week later we were cleaning and found 1/4 of a brick cocaine they had hide in the closet. My mother flushed it. Thats the city of chicago for you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts