close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

They're still biting......

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by LittleMiamiJeff, May 28, 2007.

1. But you have to really work for them.
    Watched Rooster put on a seminar today, 1-2 lb wiper after another, there were a few nice size caught, this is my biggest today:
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like you have turned into a surfer!
    Cady

3. It was great meeting you guys….and all the guys from OGF down there yesterday! I hope to get back down there soon, but my body needs to recover. It is amazing just how heavy a 3oz spoon gets after a few hours of casting!

4. Rooster, good to finally meet you too, was Cady there? I'd like to meet you, but if I have and don't know it, well, I didn't meet anyone I wouldn't want to, so I guess it was good too! LOL
    Yes, I borrowed back an old 12 foot surf rod, and as Rooster pointed out, wore myself out for 3 wipers. That I most likely wouldn't have caught otherwise, so it's work, but worth it!
    I tried a couple weekends ago w/8.5 " heavy action Salmon/Steelhead rod, can only get to first wall, caught a few nice wipers that way, but there seems to be bigger fish farther out. Size DOES Matter! ;)

LMJ

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Saw these guys risking it all, not catching any either. It was early in the afternoon, didn't see much action there. Used to be they'd give you a ticket, but due to being understaffed, people will have to die first.:(
    [​IMG]

6. LMJ, no I wasn't there so we haven't met but I'm sure one day we'll run into each other. I saw two old, old guys get close to the dam on the KY side last week and staff from the dam came in their own boat and made them move behind the buoys. I love to catch fish but those guys are risking it !!!
    Cady

7. But if you were legally allowed to pull your boat up within ?? a hundred feet or right up to the dam, I'd be there.
    I went to Markland Sat. to check it out, there are warning signs, no boats within 150 feet, which is castable.
    And of course a few boats were right up at the wall and boils.
    With life jackets and a watchful eye, you can take a stable boat w/power up into the turbulent water and catch fish and live to tell it.
    I wouldn't recommend mixing booze/dope or idiots with the fast water though.
    LMJ

8. one, thats crazy
    2. they probably caught the crap outa them and...it would be tempting to get up there if it was legal
    3. i swear i know the guy in the back of that boat, and he's an OGF'r

9. Every time I have been to Markland there are boats right up against the gates, did you catch anything?? PM me if you want.
    Cady

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Markland allows up closer, Meldahl you are not allowed inside the bouy line which stretches from the end of the dam (lock) wall to about 200 yards down from the face of the dam on the KY bank.

As far as catching, I heard from some men on the bank they only caught one garr out there in the water. I've always been told and have observed from the bank, that the boat scares the baitfish & then the stripes leave too. Actually I know a guide who guides in Western KY and that's also what he told me, you can fish close to the dams there.

11. dwwv4

dwwv4 dwwv4

everybody wants to go to heaven... but nobody wants to die!!! what's up with that jeff ?? don't be afraid, motor right up there and catch those bigguns.... dave

12. Hey dave, back from surgery?
    If you're gonna live, might as well LIVE! ;)
    Maybe I'm nuts, but get where the fish are. I can understand to some extent the comment on scaring the bait, my only real experience was on the Tennessee river, below Ft. Loudon dam, and the bait nor the stripers gave a hoot about the boat in the tailrace with them. Only to the extent that we caught about a dozen stripers over 30 inches that day, and had people coming to us on the ramp wanting to know how we caught that many fish, nobody else was catching that day.
    Between the Gizz4, Crankblade, and being IN THE BOILS we caught a lot of fish, and by being careful and wearing our life jackets we lived to tell about it.
    In Alabama, (I guess I have done this more than once, now that I get started) you MUST wear your life jacket within some few hundred feet of the dam, as well as Tennessee. And in Alabama, you must remain seated within 100 foot of the dam, if the engine in the boat is running. Now I wouldn't turn the engine off if in rough boils, but the guy Dave I was with in Alabama would run up to the boil, position the boat sideways to the flow downstream, shut the engine, THEN you could stand up and cast into the boil or whereever around the boil you thought the fish were holding in a seam, and let the boat drift downstream while you drifted your lure or bait.
    I would cast the Gizz4 with a 4 foot leader, 1 oz egg sinker above it, and just keep tension on the line, if I felt the sinker more than bouncing off the rocks, I'd reel a couple times to lift it up out of snags.
    Seemed to work pretty well, just bouncing off the rocks, everyone lived, and caught fish.
    I could see that same scenario working at Markland, even Meldahl if they'd let us boat up to the dam. Yes those are dangerous waters, so don't be stupid or drunk, or drunk AND Stupid for that matter!
    But using common sense and safety measures, there is no reason you can't fish the flood gates safely, and catch fish.
    Or, stay on the couch. :p
    LMJ

13. dwwv4

dwwv4 dwwv4

hey jeff, just got me and the boat back in fishing shape. need to get off the couch, and try and find some fish. so if ya get into a bunch, give me a yell..... dave..