close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thermometer

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by archman, Jul 10, 2007.

1. I've not used either. However, the only thing the laser can read is the temp at the upper most layer of water. It seems to me you'd get some really skewed readings. I think a probe thermometer would provide the most information.

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I use both for work.
    When I need to know something precise, I always try to use my probe.
    You can also get a simple digital meat thermometer at any grocery store for about half of what the bps probe costs.
    Laser types usually don't read shiny surfaces all that well either.

3. "You can also get a simple digital meat thermometer at any grocery store for about half of what the bps probe costs"

Less than half. I have been using one for years.

4. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

These guys are right. I would even consider going a step simpler and buying a standard probe thermometer with the dial face (not digital). If you are like me, you'll probably drop it in the boat/rocks, etc. and otherwise abuse it over time. The 0-220%F dial probe thermometers have a small nut on the underside of the head that allows you to adjust the reading. Simply put the thermometer in an ice water bath and allow it to sit until the needle stops moving. It should read 32 degrees...if not, just turn the nut to adjust the needle to the correct reading. Now your thermometer is calibrated.

Also, this simple thermometer can be purchased for less than $10.