Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just killed them again last night. Caught around 60 in less than 2 hours with a newbie in the boat. They all hit on Purple/white hair jigs. They were just inhaling the jig last night. There was still plenty of "milky" substance coming out of them. We will have another week and half to 2 weeks of this yet (in my opinion). Last 3 years I have caught limits jigging on Mothers Day yet.

ReelNaughty did well last night also with a 6 man limit! What a great time!

P.S. Got some big ones last night. All males but had one that went 26 and 2 that went 25.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well I for one hope your forecast for 2 weeks is accurate.....I'm up there Saturday and Tuesday coming up.

Hopefully I can repeat last week's performance.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
You really know how to make a guy jealous don't you Greg??? Hopefully the weather will be nice in 2 weekends so I can join you in the fun! Maybe we can meet up on the water then too....I will give you a hollar when time comes closer.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You really know how to make a guy jealous don't you Greg??? Hopefully the weather will be nice in 2 weekends so I can join you in the fun! Maybe we can meet up on the water then too....I will give you a hollar when time comes closer.
Let me know, you could even tag along or I can put you on the drift. I will meet you on the water any time, just let me know in advance when you are coming. I will be out pretty much every day till June weather permitting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
man Greg, really kickin myself for not going. Debated for most of the afternoon before I decided against it. :mad: Still plenty of time to hit em. See you out there soon

Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Rutty - You seem to fish the Toledo Lighthouse area if I'm remembering your other posts correctly. Iif you don't mind I've got a few questions.

Where do you launch? And then how for is the run to the lighthouse? Also where do you get your bait?

My brother and I came over for our first jig bite last Sunday and launched at Fenwick. We come from Indiana so would love to find a launch a little closer if possible. The fishing was good right outside the launch so we weren't too worried in our 17.5' boat. But heading out several miles in rougher water would be a little tougher - but we'd do it!

So if you don't mind can you clue me in a bit? I really appreciate it. We'll be heading over there Friday if the rain isn't too bad.

I just picked up a Humminbird 757c finder/plotter. This thing is fantastic. I didn't have the money to buy the Navionics maps so I was just planning to use the GPS and punch in my waypoints. When I turned it on at Fenwick it already had some sort of map in it! It showed the river/inlet, etc. Didn't get to check out what other map features is had because we only drifted about a mile or so and were done. So I don't know if the lighthouse is on there or not. If not I've got the coordinates and can put them in.

Sorry to ramble......

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Rutty - You seem to fish the Toledo Lighthouse area if I'm remembering your other posts correctly. Iif you don't mind I've got a few questions.

Where do you launch? And then how for is the run to the lighthouse? Also where do you get your bait?

My brother and I came over for our first jig bite last Sunday and launched at Fenwick. We come from Indiana so would love to find a launch a little closer if possible. The fishing was good right outside the launch so we weren't too worried in our 17.5' boat. But heading out several miles in rougher water would be a little tougher - but we'd do it!

So if you don't mind can you clue me in a bit? I really appreciate it. We'll be heading over there Friday if the rain isn't too bad.

I just picked up a Lowrance 757c finder/plotter. This thing is fantastic. I didn't have the money to buy the Navionics maps so I was just planning to use the GPS and punch in my waypoints. When I turned it on at Fenwick it already had some sort of map in it! It showed the river/inlet, etc. Didn't get to check out what other map features is had because we only drifted about a mile or so and were done. So I don't know if the lighthouse is on there or not. If not I've got the coordinates and can put them in.

Sorry to ramble......

I launch at Cullin Park (in Point Place across from Detwiler Golf Course). I am running out to around the Radar Bouy (South of the Lighthouse). From the mouth of Cullin Park it is about a 4 mile run (a lot of it is the mouth of the Maumee River and the Bay area so it is pretty protected unless you get a strong Northeast Wind). I haven't been using bait, but if I do get bait I get it at Edgewater Bait and Tackle. it is about 2 miles from the ramp.(if you need directions let me know)

Friday should be a great day to fish. Wear a raincoat......the fish don't mind getting wet..LOL

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks! I just may try that out depending on the wind. The minnows gave me confidence with my jig presentation - so I may stick with them. I'll swing by the bait shop on my way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just killed them again last night. Caught around 60 in less than 2 hours with a newbie in the boat. They all hit on Purple/white hair jigs. They were just inhaling the jig last night. There was still plenty of "milky" substance coming out of them. We will have another week and half to 2 weeks of this yet (in my opinion). Last 3 years I have caught limits jigging on Mothers Day yet.

ReelNaughty did well last night also with a 6 man limit! What a great time!

P.S. Got some big ones last night. All males but had one that went 26 and 2 that went 25.

great ...

i have yet to see you again out there we go to the same bait store and everything look for the blue lund with the evenirude on the back...

and i dont know about you but my freezer is getting really full..my wife is always telling me fish sounds good for dinner..but now she is telling me we need more than fish in the freezer she had no place to put the stuff from the store....lololololololol........ and yes i have a small chest freezer......:D :D :D

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great ...

i have yet to see you again out there we go to the same bait store and everything look for the blue lund with the evenirude on the back...

and i dont know about you but my freezer is getting really full..my wife is always telling me fish sounds good for dinner..but now she is telling me we need more than fish in the freezer she had no place to put the stuff from the store....lololololololol........ and yes i have a small chest freezer......:D :D :D
I have been looking for you out there, but haven't been able to find you. I have the Tan/Red Lowe with a Mercury Optimax on the back.

If the wife needs something else in the freezer, we could always go Turkey hunting...........LOL that is what deer hunting is for. I have 2 stand up freezers, 1 chest freezer, and then my refrigerator freezer. They are all full of Deer, Walleye, Crappie, Bluegill, and even some Cow!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Rutty, thanks for the tip last night on the shallow water. it made cleaning up our limit faster then if we had stayed out in the deeper water.

Plan to be out again this weekend weather permitting.

JD

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Hey Gut Hook, I was at Turtle Creek from Fri-Mon. Too bad we didn't meet up, I was right next door to you. This was my first time fishing that area and had more fun and caught more fish than I ever have the Toledo area. It was worth the extra drive for me. My brother-in-law went out of Toledo Saturday. Moved 4 times before he got on fish. One of the guys never caught a fish (sounds like me when I went with him before). All my guys limited out quickly. Largest fish was 25" and 6-11. Was a great weekend at the outing. Shoulda stopped by.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah - that whole area was pretty well packed when I was there Sunday. We got to the ramp around 10 or so and the fish cleaning station was already backed up with dudes ready to get their knives out! Amazing is all I can say.

I would like to fish a spot with a little less traffic which is why I'm thinking about the Maumee Bay area. We'll be going Friday and my guess is there will be a pretty big group out of the Turtle Creek/Fenwick/Reef area. On Sunday I could see how every square foot of water had been drifted over time and time again by the time my bait made it through that same water. I can't believe how hungry those fish must be. Maybe there are just so many of them they are constanty fighting for food? Who knows. Just enjoy it!

So I'm going to check out thie lighthouse drift Rutty and the other guys are mentioning just to give it a shot. It will be nice to learn a few areas.

What do you do up in LaGrange Eyesman?

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts
Tool & Die. PM sent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts