close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The V 1/5/09 Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by jojopro, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Outing Date: Monday 1/5/09 2:45pm-Dark
    Body of Water: Vermilion River
    Weather: Partly sunny
    Air Temp: Low 30's
    Water Temp: Low to Mid 30's
    Water Level: 2.75' on USGS gage. Normal
    Water Flow: 140 cfs and holding fairly steady
    Water Color/Clarity: Murky green. About 12"-14" visibilty
    Fish Species: Chrome
    Successful Patterns: Spawn Sacks in peach, orange, and white. Sucker Spawn in hot pink. Maribou Jig in black over chartreuse over white tipped with Gulp Waxies
    Fishing Quality: Fair/Good

Report: Okay so the V and I kissed and made up and I love her again...for the moment. Flow and clarity were both decent at the same time for once, and there were active fish to be had. I never had to contend with any slush and I was able to find plenty of open water to fish...I think it will be a totally different story though tomorrow and the rest of the week, and I will once again hate the V. All fish I hooked were holding close to various submerged structures either in the middle of runs or along the seams. Spawn sacks were most successful for me but I also caught a couple on a hot pink sucker spawn and a jig and Gulp waxie. Sure was nice to finally catch fish on the V again...probably won't get to fish it again untill Spring now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John

2. I was going to fish the V tomorrow and I am coming a long way. Did you say it won't be fishable? Please explain and save me a trip if possible. You can PM me if you would like.

OldSteelGuy

3. You WILL have to deal with MAJOR slush for most of the day, IMHO. Low of 21 tonight :(

4. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

it was ok today. some slush but nothing that messed with my drift

5. Nice fish there, I had a rough time fishing the V on Sat. Hopefully ill get out soon and get my first fish of the new year. FFBG