Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to hit the GMR today with not much to show for In fish but I did find a spinner bait that was one of the biggest I've seen easily 1 oz or more so it got me thinking about how much stuff I find while wading. Here's some lures I've found all this year ( the big spinner is the one I found today) ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376274200.076145.jpg
Not to mention the plethora of bobbers I find and ignore almost every trip, I don't think I'll ever have to buy any ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1376274245.399592.jpg
So what are some cool of strange things you guys have found while wading?

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm not sure why but I CONSTANTLY find shoes while wading. All kinds too. Gym shoes, flip flops, hiking boots, you name it. It's really weird. I've also found a lot of sports balls (mostly tennis balls), coolers, water bottles, clothes (including underwear), lures, broken rods, toys, bikes, road signs, orange cones, a canoe paddle, and all kinds of other stuff. I'd say the weirdest thing I've found so far though has to be a tombstone. I found that a couple years ago while wading the LMR in the Loveland area. It was kinda creepy.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I also found a tombstone in a creek off Todds Fork once.

A foot long piece of a petrified tree in a trout stream in W. Va.

A plastic lawn mower in the GMR

great idea for a thread. Ill probably think of a few more things before I'm done

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also found a tombstone in a creek off Todds Fork once.

A foot long piece of a petrified tree in a trout stream in W. Va.

A plastic lawn mower in the GMR

great idea for a thread. Ill probably think of a few more things before I'm done
I have no idea what petrified tree is? Is it rare?

·
Registered
805 Posts
other then the occasional pole and tackle among the list of stuff I've came across (and mostly left) would be rafts, shoes, chairs, some crazy creepy like homeless lean too thing, various car parts and clothing articles and lastly (a real trip downer) a dead puppy.. unfortunately nothing of use or nothing I really care to pick up. Although poles are a nice find last two were salvaged after some heavy duty cleaning and awaiting placement with plans of them being put in the hands of some aspiring fisherman that just need a pole and a few things to get them started.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
141 Posts
I find lures all the time whenever I go out looking, sinker's, TONS of bobbers, I found a couple rooster tails stuck in a tree awhile back. Pretty neat what you find when you actually take the time to look for stuff lol. I did find a camp chair and a Spud Bar last year (ice fishing bar), I caught the spud bar in a cast net.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Fishing in Dayton, I find plenty of the bad and a little good. Bobbers, hooks, lures, poles with something as little as the tip broke( a $3 remedy nowadays at ole wally world) tools, a knife that has become my favorite bait knife. Goes on and on. Few days ago, found a working bic lighter, locs brand sunglasses, and a sweet camo fishing hat all in the same spot. Dozens of balls that have gone to kids or dogs. Plenty plenty more.

The bad list is much much larger, but the worst of the worst would be cars, bikes, SEVERAL grocery carts (must've came from parking lot storm drains right), swimming pools, boats, 2 dogs, a cat, pac n play, a full sized swing set, tires to boot, and lots more.

Could've sworn one time swimming in an old spot on the mad as a teen that I stepped on a dead body. Human or beast not sure, but upon stepping and feeling some squishing and cracking and then seeing some blackish rotten material left on my foot, wasent brave enough to check.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I find bobbers & lures on almost every trip, nowadays I pour my own jigheads so I pick-up every piece of lead I see. I found my favorite knife and three rod & reel combo's while wading (not all at the same time). I caught a fire extinguisher once, didn't put up much of a fight.
I found a boat out in the middle of nowhere once in 4 Mile Creek. It looked almost brand new until I got up to it and looked inside; the bottom had been torn out.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Dude, a pogo ball! Is that how you stay in shape now? lol

I had a small creek in the back yard of my old house, and it drained a decent suburban area including a high school parking lot. It kept the kids in more sports and bouncy balls than they could use.

Just yesterday, messing around in a small creek with my bro's family, we found a rusty pushrod V8 with no heads but distributor and torque converter in place, an entire rear axle with one wheel, several newer car badges, a lawn mower blade, a lawn mower, and a sewer lid.

Some past finds are misc rods and reels, from which I got my first baitcaster, my kayak milk crate, sunken boat, old license plates, and a bunch more I'm forgetting.

I won't hijack and go into what I have found snorkeling, but that list is pretty long too.

·
Banned
1,419 Posts
Wading C.C. around the bridge to the North and hooked into a large trash bag.Peeked inside and knew I had something pretty good.Dragged it up the hill and put in the truck.When I got home I saw that I had many Vintage Rated XXX films in their original boxes.What a find!Somebody thought they hit the creek but barely missed.

Roscoe

·
Registered
12 Posts
I grew up in KY and used to fish Elkhorn Creek every chance I got...I remember wade fishing a new to me section of the creek at this spot where a feeder creek emptied into the Elkhorn..I happened to look down the feeder creek and maybe 25yrds in...the whole front end of a 50s vintage chevy was sticking out of the bank.Full bumper,grill,fenders,everything up to the windshield/A-pillars...That is the weirdest thing I have ever found.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wading C.C. around the bridge to the North and hooked into a large trash bag.Peeked inside and knew I had something pretty good.Dragged it up the hill and put in the truck.When I got home I saw that I had many Vintage Rated XXX films in their original boxes.What a find!Somebody thought they hit the creek but barely missed.
Roscoe
If I were you I'd have been really relieved just to learn that there wasn't a body in that bag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only thing I've found that hasn't been mentioned yet is a bowling ball. As many have said, I find tons of sunglasses and shoes, mostly flip flops. I laugh to myself every time I'm near a livery and see everyone in their flip flops and sunglasses. I figure at least one of them will lose them.

I've logged quite a few hours on the rivers around here and I'm always surprised at how careless people get in their planning. The lessons I've learned are: don't take anything that you can't afford to lose, assume everything will get submerged (not just splashed), and if it isn't attached to you or the boat and you flip, it's probably going to get lost.

Even on two or three day trips, I take an absolute minimal amount of gear and carabiner as much as possible to the boat or put it in a pocket. If I even take a cell phone, it's always in a dry box turned off, and only turned on if I see something incredible and require a picture, or I have and emergency and need to call for help.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
A few years back I found a rock that looked a horn. I thought wow this cool, I wonder what it is? As luck would have it I ran into a group of college students and their professor that were out looking at stuff also. I asked him what it was and he said it was horn coral.

Now it seems every time I go wading I find two or three. Some look better than others. That first one I found was the best, it was really pointy.

This is one I found tonight.

I thought this porcelain sign was cool. Complete with bullet hole.

Apparently the phone company used to hang phones on poles and in little closets for people to use. I heard there weren't many apps for them though.

I can't remember when they quit making these, but I found this one a few weeks ago and thought it had aged quite gracefully.

And of course hundreds of single shoes, but one time I actually found a pair of shoes sitting in the middle of the river on a rock bar???

·
Registered
805 Posts
If I were you I'd have been really relieved just to learn that there wasn't a body in that bag.
Or a body of the inflatable variety at the bottom of the back, especially seeing what the contents were! .... sorry had to go there..

Also today was a win for me. thursday I lost a spinner in the kokosing literally dropped it as i was tying it on in the middle of the river... water was a nice chocolate color so I didn't try and retrieve it. Especially with the flow I figured it was long gone.. well today water levels have dropped clarity improved and I was wading near the spot of dropped it.. so for poops and giggles I walked on over and eureka! I found it laying on the bottom! ..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took my son and his friend creek fishing this weekend... Not much luck so we hiked the creek for awhile since I hadn't been there since I was a kid...So it was neat to stomp around my childhood grounds...hahaha My Son found a old grave stone/brick... and I found my name and friends names we spray painted in a tunnel pipe in 1979....almost legible... I was 11 yrs old at the time... My son wasn't too impressed... He commented, "Atleast you spelled it right" hahaha Great Thread!!!

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
UPDATE: Found a 5 dollar bill today sitting on the bank next to where someone built a fire ring. I'll take it as pay back for the five dollar crank I lost in the area a couple weeks ago. LOL

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 69 Posts