close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The subtle joys of fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

while its always fun to catch a :B , there are also much more subtle ways that we all get enjoyment from fishing.....what are some of yours?

I'll start....getting satisfaction from doing things the proper way - like retying a lure due to a "minor" nick in the line :)

2. The best thing I like about fishing is getting out of the house and having time to think.

3. My father once told me that, "time spent on the water, does not count towards your time on earth" and therfore you live longer. It may sound corney, but that is wht I think about while I am patiently waiting on my next fish.

4. I like it when I see my girlfriend (or anyone in my boat) catching fish. You know, its not always about how you do fishing, but how those that go along with you do. You keep them catching fish and you will always have a fishing partner. I also like to talk to those fishing near by, someones always got a great story to tell or be told.

J

5. I'm going to experience great joy tonight as I join TX Transplant on Portage Lakes and, yet again, outfish him. LOL! :D

Lots of fun that goes with fishing. From backing my boat in straight on the first try to watching my son sleep in the boat after he gets worn out. I think I could come up with dozens of things for each trip I take. It's just ALL FUN!

Gene, you ready???

6. Ultralight

Ultralight Crupi Wannabe

I just started making and painting lures. I think I will have a sense of joy when I take the first cast with a homemade lure.

I also get a lot of joy or a laugh when my fishing partner always says "Got One - It's Good" and it's either a 6" sunfish on his ultralight pole or a tree branch. Cracks me up every time. Funny thing is that I do the same thing he does! :) :D

Another subtle joy I recently experienced was when I caught my first fish on a certain lure - a gaudy soft plastic salamander in the Scioto. I lost the lure on the next cast. The next time out in the same spot it was pretty funny. My fishing partner, up to his usual antics, made a cast and said "Got One - It's Good" and ended up reeling in someone else's broken fishing line. He pulled on that line, and at the end of it was my gaudy soft plastic salamander. That was truly a subtle joy!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I really enjoy seeing Flathunter land a big Flathead when we go out fishing, it makes me...... Oh wait a second, I've never seen Flathunter actually catch a :B other than a giant SHEEPHEAD, and come to think of it now, I dont even enjoy having to clim down Mt Rushmore (the spot we fish) or the Death Drop (another spot) just to net his little fish! :D

So let me start over, I really enjoy seeing Flathunter have to net all of my :B . I also enjoy seeing the pictures of all my :B , the pictures that Flathunter has to take.
    :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

something subtle?

when youre perch fishing and you catch a perch and your minnow is still on the hook in good shape so you drop the line right back down with no delay.

9. TexasPete

TexasPete Fishin' Fool

It's so peaceful and relaxing to fish... Also, when you don't know what you'll set the hook into next. That mystery keeps fishermen going back to their favorite holes.

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I find no joy in fishing other than catching big fish, which I rarely do anymore..Every since I started fishing with H20 MELLON..The two years before I fished with Mellon, I caught a 50, 40, 36 and 28...Since I have not caught much....Really I think fishing is boring and a waste of time if I am not catching big fish..I waste alot of time.

11. That's a great one Hardwater.

Personally, I just like the serenity of getting out. It's a welcome change from the rat race lives that most of us live. Catching fish is just an added plus to an already good day.

12. - Knowing that you made the perfect skip cast into cover, and the feeling you have that split second right before you know you're going to get bit.

- Seeing how quiet you can be when top water bass fishing at night.

13. Exercise man! There is nothing like paddling a canoe all day long against the wind. I am slowly toning up.