close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Snake that I missed

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by H2O Mellon, Sep 23, 2004.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Two weeks ago, I was at my cabin riding my ATV. There was a black snake that was in my grandpaws yard fo his cabin. The snake was just under an estimated 5 ft long, which is almsot 5 ft too long for me. I went to the truck & grabbes dads .38. I went back to the snake, shot at it 5 yes, 5 times with 6 ft of the snake and missed every time. By this time, I'm amazed that I missed, I still have no idea how I missed. This snake coiled up & started stricking at me, it was ticked off to say the least. I went back to the cabin, got my .45 this time w/ snake shot and my dad & I both went looking for the snake. It was long gone.

LAST EVENING (around 5:30pm)

I'm sitting here at work & my dad calls from the cabin, says he wished I would'nt have missed the snake, becasue he's been bitten by what seems to be the same snake.!!!! He said he was mowing the grass on a riding tractor when he got bit by it. He said it was near the same spot it was last time, but on a log, by the time dad saw it, it struck him. Dad said after it got it , the snake went 90 miles an hour into the woods. I guess he bled alot, but nothing more than that, but man I feel bad now!

Now I knwo some may get all worke dup over me trying to kill it, but I have my children down there & dont want them to end up in the same situation as my dad.

I'm hoping to find it again on Saturday as I will be down there, this time I'll be sure to take shot shells the 1st time.

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

The only mistake you made was not shooting it with a scatter gun! Better luck/aim next time.

Otherwise, call the croc hunter for a relocation! :p

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

you shoulda just grabed it!

4. 12 Gauge and #4's should do the trick..............Rich

5. I HATE SNAKES

Anything less then a scud missles is a understatement

6. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I am looking for a pet black rat snake! That one would be perfect as for me I would just have picked it up and brought it home. sounds like the meanest one I have ever heard of though if it bite hime while he was mowing, that one has a mean streak in him, normally they are the first to run and you never see them.

7. I read your post and I have to say that is a shame ... that you missed.
    Better luck next time.

8. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Hey H, for a nominal fee I'll take care of it :)

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Sorry that your dad was bitten.

I've NEVER heard of a black snake biting anyone before and their teeth are really small. Most farmers and rural homeowners like the black snakes around. They are rodent eaters and really don't hurt anything. I guess if he was conered or stepped on he would bite.

As much as people have fears of snakes there are really few few worries about snakes in Ohio. Just a couple regions with very small populations of rattlesnakes and a pretty healty population of copperheads, that's it.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Be sure to take pictures next time !! Wow !! 5' snake...........
    PS: Maybe you did hit it, but not a fatal wound & just ticked it off??? :confused:

11. H2O Mellon

It was the alrgest black snake that I've seen. In fact the largest snake I've seen that wasnt in a zoo or somewhere like that. The head wasnt real big, thats what I was aiming at. Any other time, I'd ahve it hit on the 1st or 2nd shot 2 times as far away. I guess I was just too excited and nervous.

One thing I never realized is that a black snake could or would coil there body up. This one did it after my last shot & man when it struck at me, I jumped back even farther. They can really stretch out there.

12. I am realy suprized you missed,alot of times they bite at the bullet-or I am a better shot than i thought ;) daryl oh they will coil up when mad or cornered

13. Where I grew up you would have been switched for killing a black snake. they are the best rodent and snake deterrent that has ever been invented. The one problem is that they love eggs as much as I do. The bigger they are the better. I have seen copperheads and rattlers go to extrems to avoid them. Just something to think about before loading the gun next time.
    Old saying, "better to be bit by a black snake than to be stung by a copperhead"

14. H2O Mellon

Try telling me that if it were one of my 2 year olds.

I shot that same gun over the weekend & its shooting way high & to the left, so maybe it wasnt me after all! I havent seen it for a couple weeks now & w/ the weather here/comming I'm sure its about to get dormant.