Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Haven't fished Kelly's for a long time, but have fished South Bass off the rocks by the state park and the old coal ramp. Caught a wide variety from Sheepshead to Smallmouth, all on "fuzzie" types....Woolys, bunnies, and streamer types.
the Hex is on...., so big "wiggle" nymphs should work.
Good luck,
R

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have never been but I remember friends telling me about giant carp up there, near shore and in clear water. I suggest a 6-7wt and some crayfish and hex patterns. there should also be some drum and largemouth in on the banks, plus the occasional anything that may swim shallow in erie, so you should have a good time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's good news. Bringing a 6 and 8wt. The 6wt I have is on the slow side and is great for medium sized rivers but in the wind it can create problem..the 8 I have can handle most situations...I'm looking foward to it now. Thought I would be driving around in a rented golf cart eating ice cream all weekend...
Janus

·
Fishing Fool
283 Posts
Thank God for fly fishing. If I was stuck doing nothing with a golf cart, I would likely end up crashing it in a drunken stupor...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK I'm back from the island. No inebrieated golf carting happened. But I did get to fish a bit. Ended up at the state park area by the courtesy docks and break wall with my brother and nephew. Ended up bringing a new med/fast 6wt..They are spinners so they had their thing going and I walked a bit...this was about dusk. All of the sudden the water appeared to start boiling we thought we were going insane. Then we realized there were minnows dashing everywhere. The boiling were perch losing their minds like hundreds of very big perch..but the perch were out of our reach by about 10yrds and we watch a boat pull up and just start picking the out like it was a fishing exhibit at the IX center outdoor show..then it just shut off. I had never really seen anything like that and it was pretty amazing to see..
Water is deep deep like 15+ and clear started with a floater then realized the true benifit of a full sinking line and managed some of the largest rock bass , thought they were smallies the way they put a bend in tmy 6wt. Also a handful of gills. All were caught on a very simple wet fly pattern cast let it sink and start stripping and then feel a thud. One thing that makes it tought is it is really hard to get the fly to all the way or very close to the bottom because the rocks are so big and there are crevices in them about 15-10ft under the surface very uneven and if you sink to deep you will just snag and have to lose the flu. I decided to just strip over the tops of the rocks and the fish would fly out of hiding and attack. But I know the big fish are all the way down just seemed tricky to get to. If you are just starting out with a fly rod it might not be the best place for you because it could get frustrating and really kinda dangerous with the people around. But if you are careful and aware you can get by just fine. Be prepared for some odd looks, or should I say curious looks, it's spinning rod land but everyone seems to get along. All in all Kelly's Island is alot of fun to fish and there are some rather insanely large fish. Riverking your friends were right there are some very very large carp trolling through there ... I haven't fished Lake Erie in a long time and forgot how diverse it is as far as the different fish that you can catch. One other thing about Kelly's there is a quarry there that is just jaw drop beautiful and is so crystal clear that you can see 50ft down the water to the bottom. I saw two people fly fishing all the way down and they must have hiked to get there but it would be well worth it to investigate if you ever get out there, I know I will. Great place for kids..mine had a blast.
I'm going to try and hit some of the breakwalls here around Cleveland and see what happens. Gotta make sure the wind is down but it was a nice change of pace from all the river fishing I do.
Janus

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Sounds like fun. Somehow I missed this posting. I would suggest using hvy weighted clousers. You will lose some but you get it down in their zone.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark I had thrown out a bunch of clousers but probably didn't get them down enough but had some chasers. You are right though need to be ready to lose some. Parallel cast the walls seemed to work best for me. Chart/white and olive/white from about 2-6. Tom I will pm you.! I might line up this leadcore shooting head for my 8wt sinks like a bowling ball but can cast it a mile..when it all comes togther.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts