close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Saga Continues

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by DavidWS10, Jul 11, 2004.

1. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Well, I got a new bilge pump installed this afternoon and it works great. I even filled the boat up with water to see if I could find any drips. As a matter of fact, I put approximately the same amount of water into the boat as was there 2 weeks ago when I thought I was going down with the ship. Not the first drip could be seen - not even a slow drip. I let it sit filled with water for about an hour, too; and I would've stayed there a while longer, but I heard some thunder and looked up at some serious-looking very black clouds. I guess my next step is to take the boat to the ramp one weekday afternoon and let it sit for a while. I did find one problem that I didn't think would be a problem. The thru-hull fitting for the bilge pump must have a crack in it because when I turned on the pump, I had a little bit of water dripping inside the hull. I'll pick up a new fitting at BPS one day this week after work.

2. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Glad to see ya' got her fixed. When we going cattin? I have a new catfish pole that needs to be tried out. Who knows, maybe I will get another addiction. :) (Another boat) lol Todd

3. DavidWS10

Has anything been happening at HVL lately? We could go after some crappie and some cats there.

4. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

5. DavidWS10

Catfishhunter33, I hope you are wrong, too. The last thing I want to do is try to change the bellows. If that ends up being the problem, the boat will probably end up sitting for a while; at least til I can save up enough money to replace the gimbal bearings, u-joints, and the transom seal as well.

6. DavidWS10

Thanks for the info. It will come in handy if I have to go that route. Have you had pretty good luck with Hern Marine? I have yet to have a pleasant experience with those people - at either their Fairfield or Florence stores.

7. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Huh? Yank all that stuff out, glass the transome, we hang a Merc 300 on it with a sea drive and get down the river FAST!!! No wait, Big block with a v-drive, then we get down the river Real fast! LOL David, haven,t been to the Valley in weeks. How bout fri or sat? Nite. We can fish and run the underwater camera. I hear the weeds have been sprayed and the fish are biting. Let me know, Todd :)

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But most outdrives will drop pretty easily- 6 bolts or so hold the thing on. When you drop the drive, you will have access to the 3 bellows that are on most outdrives- the driveshaft, the exhaust and the shift linkage. Remember the leak on the Cat-Illac? Shift bellows. Considering the age of your boat, I would look closely at those things. Filling the boat with water won't show you those leaks unless you put a LOT of water in the boat. ( That much water could squash your trailer.) The bellows are relatively high on the transom. Best thing to do is put the boat in and look closely under the engine for leaks- it will trickle in back near the mounting ring on the transom. Exhaust bellows can be done by just removing the outdrive- shift bellows are trickier and driveshaft bellows are just a pain but are do-able. As long you don't have to remove the gimbal ring you are good to go- if so, have a shop do it. Unless the u-joints have gotten wet or are just worn out, replacement usually isn't necessary. If the exhaust or shift bellows is leaking, the u-joints won't get wet. Same with the gimbal bearing. Only the driveshaft bellows will allow those to get wet.

When you check the bellows, spread the pleats apart as far as you can to look for leaks. It will take a lot of abuse over the years and will get stiff. If you have a leak, it will be in the deep folds of the bellows. At first glance, it may look good. After closer inspection, you may find the crack or split that is causing the problem.

Good luck. Give me a shout- maybe I can help out.

UFM82

9. DavidWS10

Well, I took the boat to Tanners Creek this evening after work. I had it in the water for a little over an hour, and the only water that got into it came from the rain that started right after I pulled it out of the water. There were no drips, no runs, no errors. So apparently, the problem I had came from more or less being swamped by all of the boat traffic that was on the river 2 weeks ago. At least, that is how it is looking right now. I will have to take it out a few more times before I start feeling comfortable again. Now it looks like I will be able to take my boat with me to the Eagle Creek outing in 2 weeks. I will put it into the water again this coming weekend, just don't know exactly when. And Craig, it is a 1979 Mercruiser 'R' drive.

Todd, Saturday night is good for me. I've got to work all day Saturday, but I'm free from around 5:30 on.

10. DavidWS10

I had to bring this thread back to the top because after all this time, I FINALLY found where the water was coming into my boat. Catfishhunter33 and UFM82, the leak is coming in at the driveshaft bellows. The split is on the top of the bellows and in a spot that is not very easy to see. I called the Dry Dock in West Chester this afternoon, and they have the parts I need for $135.00. Those guys have had everything I've needed for this old tub of mine, when nobody else could help me. I will undertake this repair after I get back from my Labor Day trip down to Mississippi. I'm not looking forward to this, but at least it will take care of my problem and hopefully get me a couple years of use before I bite the bullet and upgrade to a new boat.

11. UFM82

Like anyone could see the top of the bellows. NOT! That's a really tough place to see.

As far as the replacement goes, you may want to look into having Dry Dock do ALL the bellows at the same time. It will run you about $550 to do all thee, but you're 1/4 of the way there right now, and the exhaust and the shift bellows are just as old. Plus, if you do the driveshaft bellows and then have to do the other ones down the road, you may ruin the new one doing it.

I would consider having all 3 done, or at least doing all three yourself. I never attempted it myself on the Cat-Illac because it required a few special tools that I don't have and didn't feel like getting. IF you can remove your bellhousing without cutting the access holes, you've already won half the battle. The shift cable and the boots require some tools though.

From what I have read and been told by several "in the know", it's a relatively uncomplicated repair- just tedious and frustrating as all get-out. Seems the bellows don't like to stay where you put them and fight you the entire time. Good luck and definitely get a manual if you don't have one. Or, go to http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf and see if you can trace back to a series for your outdrive.

Good luck- see why I wanted an outboard again?

UFM82

12. DavidWS10

Craig, I'm going to replace all 3 bellows. The Dry Dock quoted me that $550.00 price, and although I'd really rather pay them to fix it, it's just something that isn't in the financial cards.

13. UFM82

In addition to the bellows, you'll need the clamps, the tool to crimp the clamps, the glue for the bellows, lots of patience and a book. It seems to be pretty straightforward as far as the repair goes, but sometimes it is a lot easier and less frustrating to just pay someone. There is a special socket you may need to make to do the shift cable as well. And you'll need to make certain everything is adjusted properly when you reassemble everything. I looked at the steps for the Bayliner and didn't want to mess with it, although it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Just didn't want to mess with it.

Good luck and "gitter done"! There is still a few months of fishing left- at least until October, unless the current weather pattern holds, in which case the Big O will be ice bound by Halloween.

UFM82

14. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

David, your are more than welcome to perform the surgery here at my house.
    New air compressor and tools for operating are at your disposal! 100,000 lb press, dianostic center (refridge full of cold ones :D ) overhead chainfall, crane, (did I mention the dianostic center? lol) gas grills and smokers for eats :D while we're wrenchin', Max (son) for muscle, in shop tv-video machine for watchin' boat drags while wrenchin', AND Red stoppin' out every 5 minutes sayin' "can you guys put that back together?" LOL Bring Connie so her and Red can come out every 1/2 hour and say "They'll never put that back together" LOL UFM82 has to be here and everyone else who knows what there doin'- please show up! Lets gitther done!!! Raider<><> :)

15. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

I'll come help and watch :) I'll have a few cold ones (either foo foo drinks or pop) :D Seriously I'll come help if you guys need. Except for Aug 20-30 cause I'll be on vacation :D

16. UFM82

The first " Let's get really drunk and try to fix David's boat problem" party. Ooooh boy, that should be a hoot. LOL

Maybe we can get Raider to install a 6-71 blower on the old 4 banger and really get the R's up on the ride. I can Dave running full bore down the river with the bugs getting sucked in the intake with a 20' high rooster tail.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Man, what a rush.

UFM82

" My Dad is a TV repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. We can fix it".
    -Jeff Spiccoli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

17. DavidWS10

Ok, I'll set the date for "surgery" on the boat. How is weekend of Sept. 11th, sound to everyone? That's the weekend after Labor Day. I will buy the food and drinks for the after-party. BigJohn513, are you paying attention to this?

18. catking

catking Banned

Keeping an eye out on this thread. Hey, wouldn't mind seeing this myself ;) .Good Luck guys....... THE CATKING !!!