close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The proud new owner of my first aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by KSUFLASH, Mar 21, 2005.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I had the opportunity to get a 12ft aluminum boat with a trailer for a good price. So now comes a few questions for all you pro-aluminum guys out there with these size boats.

I got a 7.5 HP Gamefisher Aircooled motor thrown into the deal, and was wandering how you guys secure your outboard motors to the transom. I know there are those 2 screws that you crank down, and a safety chain can be hooked to the motor in case the motor were pop off the transom. Is this sufficient in securing the motor to the boat?

I was looking into getting the motor tuned up so that it would be ready to reliably use this spring, yet I have found out that finding parts for these Gamefishers is a challenge. Does anyone know of someone that might be able to tune her up for me? I would prefer some place in the Northeast Ohio area. I have already checked with my goto Bridges Marine and they won't work on it.

Do you guys whom have small tiller outboards leave the motor on the boat during transit? and if so how do you ensure they dont fall onto the highway too and from the lake. If you take it off, is there a paticular way you lay the motor down in the bed of your truck, or does it not matter.

I am sure I will have more questions later,

Thanks,

Flash

2. Do not lay the motor down. Always stand vertically, even if you have to build a frame inside your vehicle.

The manual says do not tilt the motor when trailing, but I think that it would be OK. But use a transom saver or some means of keeping the motor from damaging the transom when hitting a bump.

A 7.5 horse will probable weigh around 100# when full of fuel and oil. That is too much lift for me so I leave it on the boat. Not a high crime area here. They sell a lock that fits over the mounting screws that in not a bad idea for theft prevention.

I would tune up myself. Not that big of a deal. Might have to replace some gaskets if they are very old. But general cleaning, checking fuel line etc. You might add a fuel line filter. What is the condition inside the tank. If it is old they start to rust.

Not an expert here so that is about the extent of my thoughts.

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Congrats on your new boat Ben! Thats sooooo exciting!

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

doooood, those screws would work for anyone but you, you might want to bolt that motor straight to the boat!

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Congrats Ben. That boat is perfect for the river. Now that I don't have a river boat anymore I may have to hit you up for a trip. Try Boaters Marine. They work on anything. Where Arlington dead ends at E. North is where they are at. Phone is 330-253-9226. I've gotten parts from him and know he works on everything. Even very old stuff. My brother has had him do work before and has been very happy. The guy has given me a ton of free advice when doing my own work also.