close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The proper ettiquete when going on a trip with a fellow fisherman??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Aug 2, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I have always wandered this question. Sometimes I go on a trip with another fellow fisherman for a day of fishing. Being a boat owner myself, I know there is cost involved with the trip, but I don't have a huge boat. My question to those of you who do is this. What is proper when it comes to the guest helping out with the cost of the trip. Some of you guys have huge gas tanks, and run a long way, others may not. Then there is always the bait question. I am more than willing to pay for some of the cost, but I personally would like to know from those of you whom have more cost per trip on what is proper in regards to guests helping with the cost of the trip that day.

Should I pay for everything or just some of it?

thanks in advance,

flash--------------------------------------out

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Most operators just don't ask. I myself never do. If I run my boat fast, yes it does like the gas. I'd say offer to pay for part of the trip, be it half, or offer to top off the tank, pay for the bait etc. At least you know you offered, even if the operator doesn't want it. Make you look like a real top notch guy for offering anyway. It may also get you invited again ;)

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Anytime I invite somebody on board to fish with me I expect nothing in return, if they offer I normally will turn the money down, if I fish with somebody in there boat I will always offer some money but most times they too will turn me down, I generally will make an offer but there are times that I will insist that they take the money as we all know what costs are being owners ourself.

I recently just returned from a tournament in which I fished with a very good friend of mine, he allowed me to stay with his family for the weeekend so that I wouldn't have to get a motel, in return I picked up the cost of the gas in the boat for the tournament, big tank but he saved me a lot of money so it was my way of saying "thank you", he was running a four stroke so we didn't even come close to using any gas in that boat but it made for a tighter freindship just doing what I did.

My best friend Donnie and I don't even offer each other except when we go on a long trip, that's what being best friends is all about, when we go to the Cumberland we just split all the costs 50/50 Man do we have a great time, I look forward to this trip, we decided to go once last year ended up going 7 times between November and January, having a Hooters right across from the motel is a plus also........:D :D

Doc

4. Hey Ben, it depends on the situation. When someone goes fishing with me locally and offers to pay I usually dont take anything. I`m am just happy to have the company. If they insist I let them pay for the bait. When I go away on a major trip to Canada my friend and I always try to split the expenses down the middle as best as we can. At $6.00 a dozen for shinners and running miles on the water systems it can amount to quite a bit of money by the end of the week. We would go through six to eight dozen shinners a day and at least 15 gals of gas. When I am a guest of someone I always offer to pay for something. Usually it is split down the middle if the person takes the offer.......JIM

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

If I'm going with my brother in his boat I let him pay for everything, but I WILL leave him a few fish. In the boat. Under the seat or in the glove box. Tell him later. :D

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

If someone goes out with me and I've invited him, I'll not ask for a dime. If he offers, I will RARELY accept. The single time I have taken money was on a trip during which we drove 400 miles for a trip. I split the gas with him. And he offered. I figure if I am going anyway and someone asks to go, I'll have someone to talk to. LOL ( DIP, that's for you buddy.)

I'll not ask. You can offer- it's up to the boater. Some will accept, some will come right out and ask. Never know.

UFM82

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Depends. Locally I don't even think about asking for anything and will refuse anything other than a couple of cold beers following fishing. On long trips that's another story, and usually splitting the trip equally is fair in my book.

8. Fish2day

Fish2day member

I will offer whatever I can get the host to accept. Buy the bait, buy lunch, pay for the gas (or part of it) or hand them some cash.

If they won't accept anything then you definitely want to go with that person again ..... often :D :D :D

9. Just for fishing locally I never ask for or expect anything. Weekend or longer trips are usually split 50/50.

10. When going out with someone, I always offer. When someone comes with me, help with bait, gas, etc., is appreciated, but sometimes I turn down the offer to pay. Depends on how far we go and what we go for.

Usually, sharing the costs of bait works, but if we drive a ways to the lake or use the gas motor all day, some help is welcomed. It does depend though. A lot of times, I'm just happy with the company.

11. Flash
    I think its a good question and made me think. On close trips to local lakes I never ask and don't expect anything - but anyone I have taken will usually buy bait or something- mostly always a good friend. On a longer trip like Lake Erie I think cost should be split at most - that is gas for car and boat/bait/etc.

12. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I think it really varies on the individuals and the costs incurred during the trip. A one day trip with miniimal expense is much different than a 2 or 3 day trip.

I have a lot of guys fish with me on Erie, and most of the times I really don't want any money from them, although they all offer. The guys that I fish with a lot will pay the ramp fee or bring the bait. That is enough for me and is very appreciated.

To me it's not as much the money as knowing that they appreciate the opportunity to go fishing.

Some of the guys that I've met and and fish with on a regular basis are such great company out on the lake that I almost feel like I should be paying them for going with me. It takes a special person to fish with me more than once.

The cost of boat ownership and operation is pretty high. Each individual determines what they believe is fair compensation. To some it's just having company along. To others it's an equal split of the costs. I would always offer cash or at a minimum try to cover some of the cost where the guy doesn't feel as uncomfortable as taking cash, like bait, ice, ramp fees, breakfast or lunch.

Kim

13. Usually fish with fins3932, I'm considering a cleaning charge for his end of the boat (worm dropping, pizza crust, tobacco juice) but then again he puts up with my cig smoking and singing and he's a heck of a net boy.

Rick

14. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

usually, i always offer to pay for most, whetherit's my boat that is getting towed by a frined do to a lack of a truck or if i am a guest. these trips are usually close to home and somewhat inexpensive. If it was a long trip where lots of gas would be used and many things needed, i'd probably only offer half, which is pretty fair. Actually, my company is pretty good and I feel i should be compensated just for coming along in a boat. It's like haveing a live stand-up comic all day. Just ask Ben, I am a laugh a minute! :D

15. I have found this very informative. This is when OGF is at its best.

16. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

I take a few different people from here Perch fishing on Erie with me. I get gas for boat, gas for truck, and launch fee. They get the bait. Seems fair.

If I go in someone elses boat (which is rare, I mean come on have you seen KSUFLASHES? :eek: ) I always offer bait/gas.

17. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

hey, flash's boat is fine, it's just everything that has gone along with it :D

18. catking

catking Banned

I hear that steelhead1- KSUFLASH would probably have to PAY people to fish in his boat, you all know his track record :D .DA KING !!!

19. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I always try to offer something when I fish in anothers boat. I almost always am in my boat though. If I ask someone to fish I don't expect anything. If it is a long trip it is nice to have some gas money for the truck though. My boat doesn't take much gas and I use artificial baits. I just would like to have the company every now and then. Money isn't really important to me because I would have the boat out fishing anyway.

20. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

You guys crack me up.....when the day comes for me to sell my boat, I will make sure I don't post it here, cause I will just be setting myself up.....haha...

flash-------------------------out