close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The perfect managed and prospering Ohio deer herd

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by hopin to cash, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I would agree, they don't and can't. That is what there is not even distribution of deer on all properties. Property, private or public that provides hunter access will have potential for lower populations through hunter harvest. If those lands have high hunter concentrations and harvest (public land) the population will be less.

2. I saw the numbers on your spread sheet. Thanks for posting that, it's interesting to see the numbers over the years. Kill permits are down, but those 4244 dead deer could have brought joy to many hunters rather than being executed. The damage kill numbers are not real accurate either. Some shooters prefer to gut shoot the deer so that they run off and die elsewhere. These deer don't get tallied. I'm not saying that all land owners and shooters operate this way, but it's not uncommon.

3. Montana has a block management program where private land owners are compensated financially for allowing hunter access. A win win situation. This also serves to distribute hunting presource more evenly. They also have a lottery to hunt "nuisance " populations on private property with little access. A lot of this is geared toward elk, and may not be an apples to apples comparison.
    At any rate, ohio could definitely handle nuisance deer situations in a better way.

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I think it would be great if there was a way to utilize hunters to fill needed damage permits.

5. There is definitely a way. I think the hard part is getting people to open their eyes, let go of old mindsets and be open to more options.

6. bobk

bobk

No, it was directed at chatter.

hopintocash2 likes this.
  7. No worries. Thanks for the clarification.

8. Flathead76

Flathead76 Carp53.65

Many of these public lands do have a decent amount of deer around me. The problem is that the pressure from hunters is so intense that the deer get blown off of them. I can go a 1/4 mile from the house and be on more public land than I could hunt. I don't waste any of my time on it. Behind my house I hardly saw any deer until holloween. Then the non resident rut hunters come in the first two weeks of November followed by gun season hammering the piss out of it. Now there is a pile of deer behind the house. If you over pressure deer in an area they will move on to an area where they do not get pressure.

jray likes this.
  9. I'm not going to bash the farmers but... IMO the areas I hunt have seen less farming and more hunting lease posted properly... these same farms that have been compensated for crop loss along with no plant compensation and now huge oil lease money have no interest in sharing anything with the public... hell why would they?

10. This is all too funny. We keep beating this dead horse and nothing happens. Until we get a new horse, things will get worse for the hunter. But, from the numbers Lundy posted, vehicle/ deer collisions are on the decline. Which IMO was the goal.

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Vehicle collision were up over 6% in 2015 from 2014:D

Deer herd is coming back!!

bobk and Shad Rap like this.
  12. Or, more people are on the roads with cell phone in hand.

13. Maybe they wouldn't. But possibly, if there were no nuisance tags issued and no crop loss compensation unless a farmer allowed hunting also , the tide could be turned? If landowners are getting oil money, block management could still be an incentive to open access. More money to the landowner.

14. But down 8% from 2002. I say cell phones to blame now.;);)

15. Said it before on other threads and gonna say it again...

Remove the many thousands of 'non huntible' deer in the cities, suburbs and parks which are included in ODNR's guesstimate of Ohio's total herd and setting bag limits, remove the thousands of accidents caused by these non huntible deer which is also figured in when setting bag limits, and maybe we can then get a much clearer picture of what's really going on overall.

I will say this...the City of Cols. has a guy that does nothing but pick dead animals off, and alongside the roads inside the 270 interstate corridor. All city area and no hunting. From dogs to cats to raccoons and deer. From the start of the chase phase of the rut till the end of the rut, he'll average anywhere from 5-12 deer a day. The rest of the year he will average 2-5 deer a week.
    Again, this is just within Cols. city limits around 270.
    No doubt all the drivers turn in insurance claims.
    Would be interesting to know the tally of other major city's in Ohio as well.

These non huntible deer, nor the damage they cause should be used by ODNR in the equation when setting bag limits to appease the big insurance machine in Ohio.

Lewis likes this.
  16. Fastwater, I agree with you. I had this argument many, many years ago with Mike T, via email, about killing deer in the huntable areas won't help the nuisance areas. I wish I still had his response. But basically they are hoping spill over from hunting areas will help the nuisance areas. I don't think it's working. I am a portage county resident, and for the life of me, can't figure out how this is a 3 deer county. There are not that many deer here. That's what they (odnr) keep doing, they shuffle the regs and bag limits, but really they change nothing. We had bonus gun, they removed it, added early mz, they removed early mz, added bonus gun. It's nothing more than a bunch of bs. I am not sure how things will go in the future, but I'm glad I got to hunt before, and thru the good times.

fastwater likes this.
  17. My brother and I seen this coming a long time ago, we are not biolists, not college educated in deer management. Just hunters who see what we see, and our eyes did not lie to us.

Lewis and fastwater like this.
  18. Wonder if in 25 years the herd size takes off again where are they going to find the hunters to reduce the herd. Interest is falling off. Should be interesting.

19. A group of us Tried to have the same discussion with Mike as well, some 4-5 yrs back. Just got blown off. Like you, saw this coming as well.
    What is really baffling is there are those that still yet today don't see it. Maybe it's cause they still have deer in their own neck of the woods. They can't seem to realize that just like animals follow the food chain, hunters will do the same.
    When their areas start drying up, they will realize some of their comments like " you just need to hunt harder" or " quit shooting the deer in your area" was not the answer to the problem.
    For many, many years, I've bought my tags but never left my property to hunt deer. Depending on how the freezer looked, killed one or two deer every year here using property owner tag.
    Just this past two day shotgun season and Come BP season, I made up my mind to go someplace claiming to have more deer. May as well put those tags to use. And who knows, maybe I'll run into someone that scoffed their comments as I'm dragging my deer out of their hunting area. ;)
    Four family members that are neighbors of mine are not hunting their farm but heading down to Athens. They are considering a lease of an 80 acre farm down that way that belongs to a relative of a friend of theirs.

So....just like the migration of animals goes, so goes the migration of hunters.

20. bobk

bobk

Any person that hunted with a group of 5-7 guys and each shot 2 deer a piece should have had no problem seeing this coming. Pretty simple to figure out where it was heading for ya. Yep, your eyes don't lie when you're looking at a big pile of dead deer.

hopintocash2 and Flathead76 like this.