close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The perfect managed and prospering Ohio deer herd

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by hopin to cash, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Cash 2 would be upset if I didn't put a disclaimer on our harvest years back... we never harvested more than 2 per person but there were times when we had 5-7 guys for a week of gun season also. So if you want to call me part of the problem have at it.

2. roundheadjig

roundheadjig Roundheadjig

Odnr doesn't shoot the deer they use midges to transmit EHD very effective management tool that makes farmers , insurance company's and people driving on roadways very happy..........

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

[
    Are you being serious?

4. I get several surveys from the odnr every year, usually deer and trapping but have also had others for waterfowl etc. And when I'm fishing I always stop for the creel surveys too. If you take the time to answer their questions they will send you more. I grew up with my dad being a hunter & trapper education instructor and now I do nuisance trapping work. I deal with the division 3 office mostly and have had many experiences with the odnr over the past 30 years, all very positive. When I go to the office to tag otters I am usually there quite some time just talking with people there from all facets of the department. Some have the same views as me or eachother and some don't but each time I leave with more than I came with! Once again I highly recommend getting involved in the process. They are just like everyone else there is really no "us" & "them". Of course some people are grumpy a$$ old farts who are incapable of realizing that their opinion may just not be a fact or true??

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Here is a sheet that I put together years ago and try an keep up to date to keep some information straight in my head.

Attached Files:

lawrence tracey and miked913 like this.
  6. skiff

skiff

Interesting discussion! The ODNR certainly made it clear their intent was to reduce the deer herd via harvesting does. Being an old school hunter from the days of bucks only I never really bought in, but I do understand we can't have a herd to large for the available food and habitat. There are certainly other factors at play here such as coyote predation. Back in the "70's" & "80's" we never saw a coyote. Even in the "90's" they were much scarcer then now. Also I read an interesting piece in an outdoor magazine that said the prevalent use of roundup ready corn and beans has reduced the amount of weeds found in fields. Some of these weeds are or were important sources of brouse for deer. ODNR has a tough job trying to balance the herd. I would like to see a season or two with buck only again but that's not likely. So it's up to us to try to determine if herd numbers in the area you hunt is sufficient to justify harvesting a doe. I for one have seen too many posts complaining about not seeing any deer for 3,4,5 or more days but then shooting a doe! Just my 2 cents worth!

Bprice1031 likes this.
  7. Interesting numbers to be sure! Looks like the record harvest in 2009 saw a success rate of 41.8%. In following years it dropped as low as 35.5% in 2014, but rebounded to a success rate of 40.4% in 2015. It would be interesting to see the success rates of other states .

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I don't think we have enough information to determine hunter success rates. We only know how many tags were sold but not how many hunters there actually were that may have purchased more than one tags.

9. I heard ODNR once air dropped condoms to the deer but had trouble getting the bucks to use them.
    ...and no Lundy, I am not serious. :D

10. WELL SAID

11. Good point. I guess there isn't enough info to show harvest rate per hunter, only enough to show the percentage of tags that were successfuly filled? Am I looking at this right?

12. My gripe is the way they let the population be decimated in some areas and some hunting lands, and hardly touched in others. One size fits all in the zone You hunt in. Does anyone realize how long it will take for some areas to have a hunt able population, if ever? I see people on this forum bragging how good the hunting is on their private managed property, well what about the guy that hunts alone on public land that had to sit and watch his deer hunting taken away, or for years does not hunt at all to allow the herd to recoup just to have people from large metro areas to keep killing any deer left. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE ODNR. I want the wrong that's been done fixed now, not after I am dead!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  13. bobk

bobk

Bragging?

hopintocash2 likes this.
  14. Very well said about harvesting does. By the time gun season rolls around the first stage of the rut has usually come and gone. A lot of the mature does have come into estrus and have been breed, by this time of the year. Now as outdoorsman, it is our responsibility to think before we pull the trigger on that "really nice doe." I have no problems with hunters harvesting whatever deer they see fit and is legal game. We as sportsman should always think twice before pulling that trigger, because it maybe a "really nice doe" but remember it's also carrying next years fawns.

15. If this is directed at me, no I am not bragging. I moved just over a year ago. Did not hunt ohio last year. Also, did not harvest an animal where I live now.
    I do like to keep tabs on what's going on "back home" though, and use this site to do so. I just found the numbers Lundy posted to be pretty interesting, seeing that 40% of tags were filled in 2015.

16. Welcome to deer hunting, not deer shooting. If your not seeing deer hunt for an area that has some, they're out there.
    I'm trusting Odnr and biologist not opinions on a hunting forum, they know what they're doing.
    If they sell tags hunters will harvest deer, that's how it is supposed to work.
    If we ( hunters)don't harvest the numbers they want Odnr will find other methods to accomplish the task so you may as well kill deer.
    Good luck and Good Hunting !

17. roundheadjig

IMO yes, how do hunters in a state where they do not have access to farm land reduce
    The number of deer on farm land? They don't.

18. roundheadjig

Well said

19. I agree with you on this. The states solution to this is deer damage permits, which is a sad answer to the problem in my opinion. I have lived and hunted in other states with very good hunter access programs. Ohio tried and failed at this. If other states can do this effectively, why can't Ohio? Damage permits aren't always carried out in an ethical manner. Shooting deer from the truck and throwing them in the woods to rot does not sit well with me. This may not always be the case, but it happens a lot. It is an easy and effective option. If this option was eliminated, and land owners were forced to use hunters to control the population, more sportsman would be able to utilize the resource and help the land owner at the same time.

20. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

In 2014 there were 4244 deer reported killed on damage permits. The sheet I posted yesterday shows the damage permit kills per year