Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the sounds of it most anglers go to Davis Bessie reefs probably because they are in a nice cluster.

Is it just as productive to go to the others:
West Harbor
Middle Harbor
Lakeside
Marblehead
Starve
Mouse island

Thanks in advance...My boat will be docked in Vermilion next weekend and would be commuting on the water. These are closer.

My boat should be ready in time for the outing, but I will need more confidence with the bigger boat before I fish in a heavy traffic area.
I hate looking like a shmuck at a busy dock and those channels are narrow. If it's windy I can see myself getting into trouble.

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
thaxs for talking about the other reefs, I was just looking at differnt charts and noticed these reefs but had never heard anybody fishing them. Is there less pressure on these reefs? I hope to get out wed, thur, friday and maybe sat.

·
Walleye Killer
507 Posts
Back in the 80's those reefs use to be on fire (as well as the rest of the lake)- but it seems that the Port Clinton Reef Complex is where you want to be as far as quanity of fish in the western basin especially during spring.
I fish the Port Clinton reef area early spring to early summer before I put my tub in.

Caught 5 on Toussaint last Saturday

I use to fish Middle Reef and Starve Island Reef regularly however we did not have much action during the last few years that we kept boats docked around the islands.

Now we dock down at Vermilion

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I dock in W Harbor, and try to fish the near reefs as much as possible with marina gas at $3/ gal...........if you are there before boat traffic is bad ( June-September) middle reef, starve, and AE Shoals can produce decent action. early and late each day is the secret, once a few boats have blasted over the shallow water, the fish get lockjaw. And every season, ( last year was 1st week in June) the fish hold up in that triangle for a week or so on their trip east. Last year it looked like a boat raggata right out in front of the ailing East Harbor beach.Everyone took adavantage of the short run. I think there are eyes' in the triangle all year, if a guy would learn where and how to find them. Just south of starve island a mile or so there is a tight little trough that does not show up on the charts where the water goes to almost 60' deep, always good marks on those steep ledges.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
south of starve a mile wont that put you on the beach? i would love to fish that area as i stay on catawba would save me a drive. ll be up there for a long weekend maybe ill give it a shot on sunday
________
Paul bracq

·
Registered
841 Posts
The first couple of times I ran over that deep spot, I slapped the finder...looked at the charts again.... doesn't show, but it is sure enough there, great perch spot also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts