Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing the Little Miami yesterday. It was a slow day, and I only managed a few dink smallies. It was hot even while wading, I was tired, and stumbling on the rocks on my way back. Once I recovered my balance, I thought that my clouser got snagged in the rocks. Gave it a violent tug, and fly line starts to burn through the water. A massive smallie makes a single jump, and the line goes slack.

I can still see it in the air, but it keeps getting bigger and jumping higher.

It got me to thinking about how I obsess over the fish that get away. Certainly, I have memories of fish being caught, but I NEVER seem to forget the ones that get away. I can still remember vividly fish that got away 30 years ago. I still spend extra time fishing those exact locations….from 30 years ago!

Does anyone else obsess like this over lost fish?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Does anyone else obsess like this over lost fish?
Heck yeah we do and they even get their own names despite their escape. Every now and again a buddy and I will say "remember Flash" we both smile and say "we need to get out there and go after that one again."

That's why we go back again and again it's for the ones that got away.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Waiting for my chance to go after the biggest rock bass(feel free to laugh) I've ever seen. Was fishing a pool behind a boulder and hooked up with a 9" RB. Got it about a foot closer to me from where it bit and a monster RB(this happened two feet in front of me in clear enough water that I could see what it was as it happened) tried to jack the bait. It looked like my two pits tug o warring over a rope.

Anyways the larger one broke the front treble hook off my teeny wee craw without me knowing it. As an addict I cast and retrieved the same pattern and sure enough the monster bit it again. Jumped straight towards me, spit the bait at me like chew, landed in four inches of water( with his dorsal and about an inch and a half of his back out of the water) a foot in front of me and proceeded to splash water all over me in his escape through the cluster of large rocks.

In my frustration, I inspect my lure and discover it's damage. Tie a new one on and cast this hole twenty more times with not a bite. My theory, the smaller one chased my bait into the bigger ones property. Bigger one thought, "my house, my food" maybe he's found his high rise in the sky and will return.

Either way, if anyone catches a big ole RB with a treble hook in his lip and you happen to let him go, just let him know to watch his back! LOL!

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts