Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and a bud charted new waters today. When we arrived to our put in location the water was up two plus feet and looked like chocolate milk. This was not the kind of day we were expecting. Our mood darkened and to make matters worse there was a storm cell currently moving overtop of us bringing more rain. We decided to drive several miles North and check the water out upstream and to our surprise the rain from yesterday had not affected this stretch of water. To our surprise it was clear and at normal pool! We were shocked and pleased. We still had to wait out 2 hours of hard rain before we could launch.

Exploring new water is one of the best parts of owning a kayak. We pioneered several miles of river. We found pools, riffles, runs, choke points , lay downs and everything in-between. It took some time to develop a pattern that would finally produce a consistent bite. I tried several proven techniques that have found me a few smallmouth already this year. The following lures got wet in the river but were not successful in their purpose: Spinnerbait, tube, jerkbait and even the caffeine shad failed me today.

Eventually I had to make some adjustments and pull out a new bag of tricks. Not only did we explore new water but the trip had me pioneering new presentations as well. I will have to say this new lure/technique has already earned its way into my rotation. The new secret weapon is a paddle tailed shad, rigged with a 3/0 1/8 oz weighted EWG Gamakatsu Hook. The smallies loved it. They wouldn’t touch anything else the whole day.

There were a few ways I worked the lure in the water that seemed to make a difference in generating strikes. I worked it very similar to weightless soft jerkbait . . jerk , jerk, jerk pause and on the pause the lure falls with a nice slow wobble w/the tail moving with some good action. They hit on the pause! Also casting out and letting it fall to the river bottom and slow rolling it along with occasional twitches created some bites as well. It works well with a constant retrieve as well but this generates more follows than bites. A retrieve that has some erratic or unpredictable movement seemed best to get a reaction bite.

The big bite of the day came near a narrow section that took the river on a sharp bend. I had cast out far and was bringing in the paddle tail with intermediate jerks as I rolled it over an underwater boulder where I let it continue forward on an extended pause. Then like a sharp pulse the water bulged directly behind the lure. A large wake formed. It rolled forward and overtook the lure then an explosive bite BOOM! It hammered the lure. Immediately it was game on. I set the hook and it tail waked shaking its large mouth throwing water everywhere. It put up an awesome fight. It was a great fish to be rewarded with after the day proved to give us a tough bite.

A Solid Chunk of 16" Bronze

THE CLONE . . had these guys all day on the paddle tail

Green Money

Choking on the Paddle Tail

Founding this guy committing suicide buzzing on top of the water

Bonus Rocky

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paddle Tail

3/0 EWG Gamu Hook

STEP 1: Making the hole for the hook eyelet
Because the hooks have a weight attached to the lure you can not run it through the nose of the lure as you normally would because it will tear the nose. You’ll need to take the hook point and run it through the nose then pull it back out to create the hole for the eyelet to go through.

STEP 2: Putting the eyelet through the hole
Next you will need to place the eyelet of the hook through the bottom of the nose of the lure on through and out of the nose point.

STEP 3: Final Product
The final step is to simply rig the hook point through Texas style like you normally would for any soft bait.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What river were you on? I'm pretty sure the LMR by me is sorta the same when you guys near cincinatti have chocolate milk water the LMR by me in sprig valley ,Xenia area can be just stained if not clear

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Great report and I really like your post on the rigging, I've never tried weighted hooks.

That section ought to go into the Tackle Forum as a sticky!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll need to get some paddle tail shad. I have some hooks like that, they work well on zulus also!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great report, and good call out on the weighted hook rigging!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts