close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Nest?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stampede, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

When do these fish go on the nest?
    A: Smallmouth
    B: Largemouth
    C: Crappie
    D: Catfish

And don't tell me the first weekend of may.

2. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Catfish, especially flatheads, seem to shut off (go on nest) at end of June thru July. they feed heavily before that.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Channel Cats mid June, Flatheads late June..All depends on water temps!

4. catking

catking Banned

Right about now. Depends on the water temps. In ponds, LM bass are I believe already spawning. But even in large bodies of water, they are getting close. They are probably staking out their nest. CATKING

5. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Might be tough fishing the first weekend in may when we head for barkley.I'll have to brush up on fishing for bass on the nest.But i'll still have cats. :D

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

When the dogwood trees are blooming the largemouth are on the beds. Some people will say I'm full of it but you can actually smell when the spawn is on. I have a GC nose.

7. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

LM in ponds are on beds right now

8. catking

catking Banned

This usually does hold true. But also the first full moon in May ( I believe it's about 4 days away?) is also been tested true. It really has everything to do with the water temps. CATKING

9. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

In what water depths do bass usually nest.I was always one who wouldn't fish for nesting bass,mostly from lack of knowledge.Now i know you can catch them and am learning how.I'm planing on throwing black lizards and suspending any thing that looks like a bluegill over the "nest"-spot.Also crawdads and frogs.Any thoughts on baits and ways to catch em.

10. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Bass will nest at almost any depth above 20 feet or so. It always depends on the surroundings that are offered.

I have found over the years that a Drop shot rigs work very well. You are able to toss out your line and dangle your bait in one spot over or in front of the nest for a long time. The Longer you stay in the strike zone the better chance you will P O the fish off to strike the lure. Don’t forget once they are on the bed most strikes they offer are strikes of anger and to ward off the intruder. They are not strikes to eat the bait so; they will be hard quick bites. Make sure you have a sharp hook and be gentle with the fish if you plan on C & R.

Just my 2 cents

11. why even mess with them and get them all stress out!!! you mean and naugty boys!!!!god, what a mess when there spittin eggs all over the place and them fantastic gills are out to eat!!!!!