close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the mad?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by riverKing, Jun 10, 2008.

1. i am curious if anyone knows how the mad looks color wise, i know its a little up but i am looking to try it thursday if the clarity isnt too bad. any info on hatches(if the mad ever got such a thing) would also be much appreciated.
    also, are there any cicadas up that way?

2. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

I cross it a couple of times a day. Still pretty high and soupy below Springfield. I didn't see it today, but yesterday it was not so muddy and coming down above town. I'll take a look again tomorrow when I cross.

No Cicadas up here.

MC

3. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Was just over it on rt 70 coming back from C'bus to help my sister bury a dead horse,the river is got a slight green to it but still cloudy(so was the horse)...'bout another day or two at the most as it clears quickly.
    Hatches? There is a hendirickson in april but right now it's Stenecronema spp, aka ,grey fox and cahills in 12-16.
    The hatches are fun but spotty. I prefer streamers for the bigger fish.TC1 ps,no cicadas

4. as long as its not to muddy, i love the hatches there(not) i made it for the henny hatch and saw maybe three in several hours, but the dinks were all about taking a well presented fly. depending on the clarity i may very well be throwing big meaty flies all day

5. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I saw on the news last night they pulled a lady out of the Mad in Clark county. Man, I hope I never find a body when floating these rivers around here!!!!

6. you're kidding right, a dead body in the Mad river? People drown in the ohio alot, GMR and LMR too, but the Mad?

7. fshnteachr

8. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

The Mad has a really powerful current that should never be underestimated. I'd wade deep in the GMR or Stillwater before I'd go waist deep in the Mad.Plus,it has lots of fine gravel that can wash out from under where you're standing/wading which can be bad as you can lose your footing that way.There's also some really wicked sweepers S of rt 4 in S'field.
    I hooked a dead guy when I was 13 y/o in the LMR,right in the wrist...didn't fish that stretch of river again for more'n 20 yrs.TC1

9. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

They're saying now that she was in there for weeks or months. No I.D. yet but they showed a bracelet she was wearing on TV.

The Mad looks a whole lot better today. C.J. Brown is almost back down to normal so they're cutting back on the outflow. Just be glad we're not out in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, etc. They're fishing in cornfields out there.

MC

10. wader

wader Fishing Fool

TC1 provides good advice. Once you get near Spfld, the discharge picks up quite a bit. When the St. Paris Pike dicharge is around 500 cfs, it is a dangerous wade below Eagle City Rd. bridge, and wading upstream in the riffles is a real workout. I don't wade it anymore when that gauge is reading above 400 cfs, the bulletproof days are over...

11. fshnteachr

I agree with you guys. I do not even take the kayak to the Mad anymore to fish. I spend too much time paddling the boat instead of fishing. Going down the Mad in a lot of spots takes concentration just to paddle, let alone focus on any fishing spots.

12. fished the mad Thursday north of Urbana. I'd forgotten just how tight this stream is. The canopy cover provides for plenty of bugs falling into the stream so the fish were hitting terrestrials. If you have a short rod, take it.
    Took a 7-1/2 ft fly rod and wished I'd brought my 7ft.

13. I can't agree more with TC1 - the Mad can really rip through the lower stretches - especially after Eagle City or St Paris bridges. Always ALWAYS watch your footing out there, but particularly in that stretch. Because of the gravel, I find that footing through there can be challenging and there are a number of steep dropoffs. Also - for the same reason - the geography of the stream changes a lot from year to year and flood to flood. You can't assume much of anything.
    With all that being said - it is sure nice to fish it!

14. Another thing to keep in mind this time of year is terrestrials. From now through mid-August perhaps the most consistent fly you can use on the Mad will be a black beetle pattern ;)

15. i did have fish take an ant yesterday, i like terrestrials so i tried to get fish to eat them more but as the day went on they wanted mays and midges, bummer, foam floats with alot less effort, here shortly it should be the fly of choice. chartist, were you fishing cane, i believe you are the gentelman i was talking to, we ran into you twice. there is a full report in the fly fishing btw

16. yes, I had the cane rod.....thinking of going to brookville today but the guage says over 5 feet .....I know it's behind sometimes by as much as 6 hours still it's a drag to drive 100 miles round trip for nothing.