Ohio Game Fishing banner

The leaf factor in the creeks...

825 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bubbagon 
#1 ·
I wasn't able to make it out yesterday; are the leaves making it tough, or are we not quite there yet? Thanks...

#2 ·
I got out last evening for a couple hours. This is what was working for me:

Find a BIG pool. Sit down, take a 5 minute breather and look for baitfish crashing the surface or making any kind of disturbance. Throw a weightless tube on a 4/0 hook, something goldish or with gold flakes. Twitch it like a fluke.
Local fish were digging it last night.

#3 ·
I got out last evening for a couple hours. This is what was working for me:

Find a BIG pool. Sit down, take a 5 minute breather and look for baitfish crashing the surface or making any kind of disturbance. Throw a weightless tube on a 4/0 hook, something goldish or with gold flakes. Twitch it like a fluke.
Local fish were digging it last night.
I like the "five minute breather" part; time for quiet reflection and what not...

#7 ·
Leaves are not terrible yet. Saw some surface action tonight and got two including a 16.5" on lightly weighted josh but got around dozen more on a tube still including another 16" and an 18". They are still loving them crays, can't wait to find some busting on big schools of shad here soon. Should be any day!

#9 ·
Leaves are not terrible yet. Saw some surface action tonight and got two including a 16.5" on lightly weighted josh but got around dozen more on a tube still including another 16" and an 18". They are still loving them crays, can't wait to find some busting on big schools of shad here soon. Should be any day!
We have about the same thing going on. Seems like this past week it started heating back up. The fellas floated this weekend. I heard and saw pics of some 18's, a 19", and a heart breaking 19.5"er. (See if Stucky can post a report and a pic).
They were slamming them on spinnerbaits, which would suggest the move is on from crawdads to chasing baitfish.
I've been more flukes, swimbaits and tubes lately, but haven't seen the size the fellas did last week.
On my home stretch, I don't see any crawdad activity right now.
I'm taking a baster out with me next trip and empty out the stomach of the first smallie I catch and find out for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.