close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the law

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Dec 11, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

"all shelters and tip-ups must display the name and address of the owner or user in English lettering"

Is this enforced? Will they actually ticket you if your tip-up doesnt have your name and address on it?

Do I really need to put my name and address on my portable? (fish trap)

What has been your experiences concerning this on the ice with the officers.

thanks in advance for any responses.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great question. If that is true it something the members would benefit from. Never heard of it but I do hope someone that is out on the ice responds.

3. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Have been checked at Buckeye several times. They checked fishing license and the Trap for name and address. Don't know how far they would take it if it wasn't there, but they did check.
    I put a card with the info inside the plastic holder you use for a hunting license and pin it by the door where it can be seen.

4. Yes, they do check. Also, for the PA guys, the fishing license MUST be visible. Just like a hunting license.

Label your shanties, fellas. I've never been ticketed, but there's always that chance.

5. Thanks for the info you may have saved me a few $$$$$$$$$$
    Geowol
    George

6. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

In all the years I've been ice fishing I've never had an officer come out to check on me. I've only had my license checked twice in my lifetime. Once in Ohio and once on Santee Cooper reservoir in South Carolina. However it is true you are supposed to have your name and address on your shanty . I'm not sure about tipups?

7. For the record:

"ICE ANGLERS may use holes no larger than 12 inches in diameter. In Lake Erie ice anglers may use holes no larger than 12 inches in width. Ice anglers may not use more than 6 tip-ups and 2 rods per person. All shelters and tip-ups must display the name and address of the owner or user in English lettering." - Ohio Department of Natural Resources - Division of Wildlife

For my tip-ups, I print mine out and cut them into 1 1/2" inch strips and cover it with clear tape. That holds up really well. My shanty has a clear, plastic pocket on the front of it just for this purpose...

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Now I know nothing about ice fishing, but this confuses me.......Would a hole 12 inches in diameter be 12 inches wide?? or does this mean that on Erie people cut out 12 inch square holes.....I can only believe that a hole 12 inches around will be 12 across at any point....(DUH!) :rolleyes: So why would they word it separate. Somebody please fill me in. You never know when I may take off to Erie to ice fish! :D

9. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

my guess is that some people use chisel instead of auger to make a hole on erie..

10. On erie some will drill several holes over lapping each other to for a rectangular hole. When I fish in an area where I am not near a travel path, can be dangerous if hit the wrong way with a 4 wheeler or snowmobile ski.I usually drill enough holes to have a 10" by roughy 36", same as the width of my shanty. Really makes it easier to get a big Wallagator out if the gaff hook doesn't get stuck in the chin. If you ever sink a gaff hook into a gators belly and try to get him out of a 10 in circle sideways and keep your arms dry you can picture what I am saying.

Scott