Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend Ben and I hit the Whitewater River this past weekend. We only get together once a year to do an overnight float, fish and camp and I have no memory of ever not having a great time.
We hit the water around 9:30AM. Conditions were perfect. High skies, low humidity, 2 ft of clarity in the pristine waters of the Whitewater River.
2 long time friends, lots of beer and a slew of unsuspecting fish that had no clue as to what kind of hell we were about to unleash upon them. Lets get this party started!
Ben drew first blood by landing a true Striper inside of 15 minutes!
Fish Fishing Bass Trout Fish

Ben was casting a Strike King series 3 chartreuse sexy shad, I was sticking with my (Rebel craw KILLING), Manns Baby 1 Minus.
Before we know it, we have boated nearly a dozen bass. Ben has perfected the art of catching whites and stripers!
We float into a spot I have had moderate luck before and Sporto has had great luck. We float backwards through the hole and cast to a nice eddy. My rod loads up with no small bass! I manage to finally land a bass worthy of being photographed! A chunky 16 inch smallmouth.
Fish Fishing Bass Fisherman Recreation

We pull the canoe over and we are glad we did! Ben caught 4 bass in 4 casts and I landed a decent largemouth. As I'm fighting my largie, Ben is fighting a stipe and we get our first double of our float!!!
Fish Fishing Bass Fisherman Recreational fishing

We continue to float and fish until we get to our campsite and set up camp. We could have continued to fish but the pretty ladies floating by in the millions of canoes are just too attractive to not stop, place our camp chairs in the water, bend our elbows and admire the beauty.....
The following morning, we broke camp, pushed off and again took to fishing. Ben was back to setting the hook and then informed me that he had not yet caught a smallmouth bass on this trip yet! This is something we need to remedy!
We have a great time fishing AND catching. Fishing seems to bring something out of man that is primal and necessary. Throw on camping and you have a weekend that rivals anything that you could make plans to do any other weekend of the year!
Ben finally ties into a smallmouth which gets that skunk out of his end of the boat. Not really worthy of photographing but a smallmouth all the same!
We round a bend and I start into telling him the story of the smsllmouth bass I lost in this hole 3 years ago that I still cannot shake! I tell him I call this hole, "Heartbreak Cove" and why.
Ben tells me he's never really caught a big smallmouth and would love to experience this.
We drift into the hole. I spin the canoe to float through backwards. Ben casts to a spot that had deep water and his rod LOADS UP. Unsure of what he has, Ben rises and stands in the canoe, his rod bent double and all I can do is encourage him to do what he can to land this monster. The fish finally surfaces and reveals itself to be a FAT smallmouth! Ben fights bass with drag and line. The big bass digs and Ben hauls her towards the surface. The big fish has digging in mind. Ben towers over the line where it disappears into the water when out of nowhere the bass bolts from the water, head shaking violently and like it was in slo-mo, the bass and lure were no longer one.
Silence befell the tiny vessel, Ben took his seat again. The only sound made was when my paddle cut the water as we backed away and pulled the nose of the canoe around to face downstream. We were not interested in discussing another heartbreak from Heartbreak Cove.
We continued downstream and ended up with a few more bass.
The humidity was pressing her weight upon us and family was expecting our return. We hastily made our way back to Ben's rig and had a great talk of another fantastic weekend of camping, drinking, fishing, catching and the one that got away.
The one that will better remind us of the trip more so than had he landed the beast. The one that will live forever with him until another breaks his heart, the one that will be the standard, the one that will learn him of what to do next time, the one that reminds him of the heartbreak and of the joy of fishing........

River Recreation Boat Muscle Boating
Fishing Recreational fishing Muscle Recreation Adventure
Fish Recreational fishing Bass Recreation Fishing
Recreation Fishing Fish Reservoir Fisherman

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
That was a great read co-angler. Sounds like the perfect summer weekend.

Great looking fish too!

I think it was Alfred Lord Tennyson that said..."Tis better to have hooked a giant smallie and lost it than to have never hooked one at all."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Outstanding summary, co-angler. It was a great trip even though that overeating heartbreaker of a smallmouth bass has haunted my thoughts since the second it spit that lure on Sunday morn.

She'll be mine, someday. Someday, she'll be mine.

(raise the roof)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Outstanding summary, co-angler. It was a great trip even though that overeating heartbreaker of a smallmouth bass has haunted my thoughts since the second it spit that lure on Sunday morn.

She'll be mine, someday. Someday, she'll be mine.

(raise the roof)
Thanks sir. You put on a clinic over those two days. We should try and hit that stretch again before the end of September!
Opposition from the roof be damned!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,416 Posts
Sounds like a great time, and story. I am planning on the WW Sunday, but I doubt the water will be the same, sticking too the Ohio route since I am too cheap to shell out more $ for a Indiana license yet! my rebel crawl and bass tubes are loaded and river ready.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts