Ohio Game Fishing banner
3201 - 3220 of 3408 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Tired of waiting for the ice to return. Took the canoe out today for about an hour and a half. Paddled around til I found some fish. Caught a decent 12+" Crappie on a jerk right next to the canoe. While taking it off the line, I noticed the rod I had hanging over the side with a small tube and wax worm was bouncing. A barely legal (9 1/4") Crappie took the hook deep so I kept it too. No bites after that, but at least I got my lines wet.

Boat Water Watercraft Vehicle Plant

Water Blue Fin Underwater Organism

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,204 ·
Tired of waiting for the ice to return. Took the canoe out today for about an hour and a half. Paddled around til I found some fish. Caught a decent 12+" Crappie on a jerk right next to the canoe. While taking it off the line, I noticed the rod I had hanging over the side with a small tube and wax worm was bouncing. A barely legal (9 1/4") Crappie took the hook deep so I kept it too. No bites after that, but at least I got my lines wet.

View attachment 503214

View attachment 503215
Good stuff!

Cold water crappie & tube fishing I can vibe with that! . My favorite color tube this time of year is purple with & white skirt paired with either orange or black jig head.

Or if you want a real crappie killer 1” black shad Gulp minnow paired with 1/64 to 1/80th jig head. Sluggish crappie love that slow flutter in the cold water. It’s also a good setup to use to power cork under a weighted float. Man do I love power corking! Dancing that float in place has talked many fish onto the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,205 ·

I’d like to see a 1 where the 2 is but I won’t complain about a below freezing start to the day!

If you listen closely you can hear into the future. It sounds like spuds tapping!

Keep dancing its working!

🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊

· Registered
1,307 Posts
Where are you goin? I' be heading up in two weeks and lake is still up for debate as far as I know, Would like some ice reports. The frontrunning lake had reports of 8" of ice. Hate to drag snowmobile up if ice isn't any good.
Everywhere I had been was 5-9” of ice once you get north of Saginaw bay

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,216 ·

Good morning ice friends! - Winter’s return had my life hours upside down yesterday.

Sure looks a lot like there will soon be some ice fishing in neo! 🧊

I feel strongly that with this forecast comes game time. Even with the pitiful temperatures we have been having I’ve seen ice formation taking place. These forecasted temperatures should seal the deal!

Who’s ready to fish some inland puddles? ME!!!!!!

Keeping a close eye on my favorite early spots this week. As soon as a berg becomes fishable im jumping on!

Its a good time to double triple quadruple check your gear. Most importantly your safety gear. You won’t want to be out there without your:
SPUD,SPIKES PICKS,ROPE,PARTNER & A PLAN.

SOON it will be positive vibes & lips on hooks!

Let’s keep that ice dance going it’s working!!!🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊

#freezebabyfreeze

3201 - 3220 of 3408 Posts