Ohio Game Fishing banner
3181 - 3200 of 3408 Posts

· Registered
3,233 Posts
Yes, when I took the blades in to be sharpened I made sure I could talk to the guy actually doing the sharpening. They had not done auger blades before and I wanted to make sure he understood to only sharpen from the top side and leave the bottom alone except to remove the burr. I believe he sharpened with a belt though as the sharpened surface now has a convex shape. The upside though is they only charged me $12. I hope to get things right using the diamond stones. I've got a spare set of blades that just need touched up, so I think I'll be set if we ever get ice again in central Ohio.
Hope it works for you...years back the guy that taught me said to let the ice remove the burr...good luck

· Registered
554 Posts
Codger, new blades aren't crazy expensive, I don't remember exactly but maybe $25ish? And my new ones lasted 3 years til I drilled into some wood!
I did consider going that route, and even looked into the ones I found on Amazon. What I found was that most, even some that claim to be Swedish, are actually made in China (according to the reviews) and the reviews weren't that good. Then I decided that since I've been looking for a reason to get some quality diamond stones anyway I could to justify (to DW) spending more on the stones than new blades would cost ;)

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,191 ·

Good morning ice hounds! - I love it when can feel the cold coming & I feel it!! 🧊

It’s gonna be a good week to watch those microclimates make ice sooner than a lot of the rest of the places.

If you know of some protected low elevation puddles & back bays it’s a good week to keep a close eye on them. Watching that ice grow in your favorite spots will help you navigate safer as it becomes fishable.

It is especially helpful if we get some snow and your unable to visually tell where the danger ice is. Knowing where the oldest thickest ice is & having that knowledge is priceless at times.

Along with the research when the time comes let’s make sure we have our safety equipment. SPUD,SPIKES,PICKS,ROPE, PARTNER & PLAN.

Keep the ice dance going it’s working!!!🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
48 Posts

Good morning ice hounds! - I love it when can feel the cold coming & I feel it!! 🧊

It’s gonna be a good week to watch those microclimates make ice sooner than a lot of the rest of the places.

If you know of some protected low elevation puddles & back bays it’s a good week to keep a close eye on them. Watching that ice grow in your favorite spots will help you navigate safer as it becomes fishable.

It is especially helpful if we get some snow and your unable to visually tell where the danger ice is. Knowing where the oldest thickest ice is & having that knowledge is priceless at times.

Along with the research when the time comes let’s make sure we have our safety equipment. SPUD,SPIKES,PICKS,ROPE, PARTNER & PLAN.

Keep the ice dance going it’s working!!!🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaw on news some of northern states are hurting like we are, lots of tackle stores have inventory for ice fishing, just sitting on the shelves! I SUPPOSE I CAN BE BLAMED FOR OUR NO ICE DELEMA, I bought some ice fishing stuff, and was playing wiff my equipment during wishful thinking for ice, sorry. so desparate, Ibought ice fishing magazine, reading and doing lots of staring!

· Registered
1,648 Posts
Isaw on news some of northern states are hurting like we are, lots of tackle stores have inventory for ice fishing, just sitting on the shelves! I SUPPOSE I CAN BE BLAMED FOR OUR NO ICE DELEMA, I bought some ice fishing stuff, and was playing wiff my equipment during wishful thinking for ice, sorry. so desparate, Ibought ice fishing magazine, reading and doing lots of staring!
plenty of videos on ice fishing on youtube, it cures the itch for a while...but just for a while

3181 - 3200 of 3408 Posts