Ohio Game Fishing banner
2601 - 2620 of 3394 Posts

· Registered
1,307 Posts
Look at low temperature maps. There are some locations, protected from wind, lower areas, ect that typically have colder or less impacted water. These micro climates may only be a pond size area or even a single bay on a lake. Spend time driving on the first cold snap
You’re still patrolling the site? Nice to see you around!

The low lying areas are your best friend. The site below is a fun one to watch as you get temps logged all over. Keep an eye out for spots that drop quicker and colder than others at night. A good example is Rome Ohio, roaming rock lake(private). Have seen it in the -30s on morning that everywhere else is 0 to -10. Same concept happens when it’s the right conditions on a 20° night it’ll get to single digits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,606 · (Edited)
That link [mention]IceHoleDestroyer [/mention] shared is solid gold! . He turned me onto it years ago & it’s saved me a bunch of driving & looking.

It’s a lot easier to go looking where you are certain it got the coldest. Plus you can watch it throughout the day to see just how much effect daytime high temperatures effect these specific places.

You’ll likely notice they aren’t warming up like the rest. Then after you investigate further you’ll see things that add up . Like large hills surrounding the low lying area that you’re targeting that’s limiting its sunlight exposure and wind exposure.

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,607 ·
By the way…were you successful this week yet???
Haven’t been in the woods all year. I planned on it but a bunch of adulting is screwing things up. Hopefully I’ll squeeze in some late season hunting.

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,615 ·

Feels great out there this morning!

Unfortunately the forecast sucks dog nuts. We might need to add some spoons to the freezer collection. Definitely gonna have to dance a little harder. Might even need to find a weatherman for sacrificial purposes.

🧊🧊🧊🧊🧊

· POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,618 ·
You might have to go back to Florida. It was much colder in Ohio earlier in the fall when you were down south. You did this!
Your right! It’s totally my fault maybe I should put myself in time out somewhere around Naples for a few weeks as punishment.

2601 - 2620 of 3394 Posts