Ohio Game Fishing banner
2581 - 2600 of 2612 Posts

·
Angry hillbilly
1,592 Posts
Went to western Erie yesterday with boat got screwed with 2 much ice! Saw a piece of ice that was at least 2 in I brought no auger or pick so I didn’t try to get on! So I packed up heading east to Erie pa no ice and fished open water and will be there tomorrow . Those ice picks were from Chautauqua could of drilled a hole had no auger just my handy scrapper! All the the 3-8in perch u wanted! Only fished a hr

Attachments

·
POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,586 ·
Went to western Erie yesterday with boat got screwed with 2 much ice! Saw a piece of ice that was at least 2 in I brought no auger or pick so I didn’t try to get on! So I packed up heading east to Erie pa no ice and fished open water and will be there tomorrow . Those ice picks were from Chautauqua could of drilled a hole had no auger just my handy scrapper! All the the 3-8in perch u wanted! Only fished a hr
A younger more foolish Brad would have given it 3 good stomps & fished it! . Good to see real outlaws are still alive & well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,591 · (Edited)
Good morning freeze buddy’s! -

This little warm up isn’t anything to worry about. I wouldn’t even call it a minor setback. Maybe a hiccup but not a setback .

Everything is on our side right now. Dwindling daylight hours in combination with already cold water. It won’t take much at all to make fishable ice in some places.

One night of single digits , 2 nights in the teens & one night in the 20s & some of us will be walking on water. I know it sounds a little far fetched but that recipe has been tested & proven a time or two.

If you do your homework on your local microclimates & you can pinpoint pretty accurately where your 1st ice will be located.

We’re in the home strech now! It could literally be next week if the right combination of cold comes along. Might only last a few days in December or it might hang out it’s up to the ice gods.

I can think of several years we started 2nd week of December and fished right through the new year. [mention]IceHoleDestroyer [/mention] Remember that time we fished on NYE all day with a glass floor? I think I still have that video somewhere. And then Im pretty sure you stayed & fished solo that night. Good times!

I’m up early & amped up for ice fishing!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good morning freeze buddy’s! -

This little warm up isn’t anything to worry about. I wouldn’t even call it a minor setback. Maybe a hiccup but not a setback .

Everything is on our side right now. Dwindling daylight hours in combination with already cold water. It won’t take much at all to make fishable ice in some places.

One night of single digits , 2 nights in the teens & one night in the 20s & some of us will be walking on water. I know it sounds a little far fetched but that recipe has been tested & proven a time or two.

If you do your homework on your local microclimates & you can pinpoint pretty accurately where your 1st ice will be located.

We’re in the home strech now! It could literally be next week if the right combination of cold comes along. Might only last a few days in December or it might hang out it’s up to the ice gods.

I can think of several years we started 2nd week of December and fished right through the new year. [mention]IceHoleDestroyer [/mention] Remember that time we fished on NYE all day with a glass floor? I think I still have that video somewhere. And then Im pretty sure you stayed & fished solo that night. Good times!

I’m up early & amped up for ice fishing!

This is the only pic I have from that day that I could find. Took a while to scroll back!

·
Registered
991 Posts
All right I'll ask all you experts this. When this happens, aren't they technically just trolling?
I do hope everyone's rescued and safe. And all you guys have a safe and fun ice season.

Minnesota crews working to rescue more than 100 people stranded on large ice chunk on lake

Kip

·
Registered
620 Posts
A guy could use some help pinpointing microclimates. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? Resources/references
In central Ohio and hoping to learn more about them for multiple activities in multiple seasons.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,757 Posts
Look at low temperature maps. There are some locations, protected from wind, lower areas, ect that typically have colder or less impacted water. These micro climates may only be a pond size area or even a single bay on a lake. Spend time driving on the first cold snap
A guy could use some help pinpointing microclimates. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? Resources/references
In central Ohio and hoping to learn more about them for multiple activities in multiple seasons.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Look at low temperature maps. There are some locations, protected from wind, lower areas, ect that typically have colder or less impacted water. These micro climates may only be a pond size area or even a single bay on a lake. Spend time driving on the first cold snap
Will do!
Much appreciated johnboy.

2581 - 2600 of 2612 Posts