Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The tug is the drug
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went over to see my good buddies at R&R to pick up some minnow flash twisters by venom and several 1/16th oz jigheads when i thought "i oughta run over and check out greenlawn dam."

Got to Greenlawn road side of dam (so i could watch my car) and managed to wade out to the island and cast till dark.

it was only me and a nice african american fellow fishing in the water there at the time, and shortly after greeting him he managed to land a 2 pound channel cat. i threw on the trusty 1/16th oz twister combo and tipped it with 2 inches of night crawler. moments later i sensed a bite rippling through my 6'6" st.croix/ quantum PTi meduim light finesse outfit. I quickly set back and was hooked into a 16+ inch smallmouth, jumping and spinning and shaking out of the water. eventually, he threw my jig and was gone. 2 or so casts later, i was battling a 3 or 4lb channel cat myself. brought him in and recieved shouts from both sides of the dam, requesting the fish for table fare. the shouts went something like this " AYYY MAN, CAN I GET DAT CAT!!!". i chuckled regally and passed the fish on to very gracious and kind hands. he thanked me over and over and i was on my way fishing again.

Several missed fish later i found myself guiding the man i first met along the process of landing a rather large mysterious fish...i kept giving him pointers like, "loosen your drag and tire the fish out", "keep your rod tip high" and so on. soon after, we se a 10 or so lb buffalo sucker leap out of the water where his line met it, and we thought this was his fish...rather bummed out we both kind of gave up hope on it being something exciting. moments later, his fish emereged and all i see is a gaping mouth and whiskers. it is a beautiful, chunky, 10-15lb flathead catfish. the mans face lit up and we rejoyced. he thanked me for the pointers, and crossed to the bank to meet his excited buddies. all of this excitement from the use of a simple stoneage setup. the hook line and sinker. oh, and small 2 inch peice of night crawler...

To be continued....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey great story, im not sure exactly where that greenlawn damn is, can you give me a rough idea where it is? I took a ride today to the scioto by griggs dam and saw a few people fishing there past the marina, not sure if it was anyone who belongs to this group, but i didnt see any fish being hauled out of the river. I talked to a guy who just got in from fishing and he said the fish really havent been doing much biting on the scioto for the last week or so. Im gonna give it a try tommorow night down by the dam and see how i make out, will try some crawlers on a jig and a rod on the bottom, maybe ill land a cat or two;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
the FIRST AND LAST TIME i ever went to greenlawn damn, i was shocked at how many people were keepin their fish... most of them also had their girlfriends... who i will refer to as "baby mommas" with them...
dressed in their best [way to small] velor sweatsuits... in the 80 degree weather.

it was also the night i innocently asked someone why so many latex glove were scattered in the woods....

and he said "around here, those arent gloves... those are hand condoms..."
good thing im to innocent to know what that ment
or i might not have slept that night

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I believe R&R is that shop there on Front St. I could be wrong though!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
R&R has always treated me well I have been going down there for better than 20yrs, there bait seems to last longer and is more lively than bait gotten from some other area shops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts