Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ERrie showed all her faces today. Lewis and I started out in 2/3 footers whitecapped with an occasional 4 and a NNE wind. She then developed some really large swells prior to switching to a ENE wind. Finally calmed down to remaining swells of 1 to 2 feet. Wind again went ENE and immediately picked up in intensity which produced3 to 5 footers with some 6 which were capped and very steep. We headed back to the river and had a fairly rough ride in.
Fishing was fair prior to the ENE wind which shut down the bite. Lewis will post the fishing results.
A number of night trollers were putting in when we pulled out. Sure hope the lake had settled down prior to their exiting the river. Maybe the rough sea we experienced was part of a large isolated storm and things returned to a more favorable condition. Hope Argee will post the conditions he had as he was one of the late arriving night trollers.
Another great miss by the wonderful weather bureau. :rolleyes: :mad: :p

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
EXEXEC AN I HEADED OUT TONIGHT JUST AS LEWIS AND SHORTDRIFT HEADED IN....HE TOLD US THAT THERE WAS SOME 6 FTERS ROLLING OUT THERE PRETTY GOOD....SO SINCE WE WAS ALREADY THERE AT VERMILLION WE WENT OUT ANYWAYS...AS SOON AS WE GOT OUT OF THE RIVER SOME BIG SWELLS WERE ROLLING AROUND OUT THERE..AS TIME WENT ON THE LAKE STARTED TO CALM DOWN SOME..WE TROLLED WEST AWHILE WITH SOME OTHER BOATS OUT THERE...TALK ON THE RADIO WAS NO ONE WAS CATCHING ANYTHING AT ALL..THE WATER WAS LIKE CHOCALATE MILK..WE TROLLED ABOUT 3 HOURS AND HAD 1 FISH ON...THE WAY IT ACTED IT FELT LIKE A SMALLIE..WE DIDNT LAND IT AND THAT WAS ALL THE ACTION WE HAD ALL NIGHT..WAS NOTHING LIKE THURSDAY NIGHT WHEN THE ACTION WAS NON STOP....THATS WHY THEY CALL IT FIHIN AND NOT CATCHING... :eek:

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,509 Posts
It got downright nasty out there yesterday evening.
Shortdrift did a fine job of getting us back in safely.Lund makes a fine boat!
It was churning so bad,it turned the water to chocolate milk in a few minutes near Vermillion.Closer to Ruggles the water clarity was better.
We fished from 2:00 till we were forced off the lake around 7:00.
In between we must have caught about 13 Smallies,several were nice Hawgs.
Shortdrift managed a couple decent Walleyes.
Our fish Came on Vibe-s,various styles of jigging spoons,and Rattlin Rogues.
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,509 Posts
Notice how were are dressed???
Its amazing how cold it can be on Erie,with 50 degree water and a stiff north wind.It was mid 70's inland!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Why did you guys get the lake all muddy as you left out of there?
I got there just at sundown. Passed Short and Lewis on rt. 60 as they got on rt 2.
It was like a cup of coffee with double cream.
WE had an accident and took 1 walleye on the west side of ruggles at the yellow head light. 22 inches long.
Try again in a couple days, also going to hit Misquito a time or two this coming week.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Started in the morning fishing with a jacket on, later in the morning I was down to a t-shirt then back to a jacket by 2PM, crazy wheather out there!

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,509 Posts
How nice of you Darth.Actually I was not trying to impress anyone,just providing an honest fishing report for the members here.
Been fishing Erie for over 20 years,see my share of big ones.
Bait?....most people dont throw back 23-24 inch Walleyes,do they?
Actually the fish were in a cooler of ice overnight,and I was trying to keep the fish slime off of my pajamas this morning :D .
I refered to them as eaters,if you notice.
Looking forward to your latest report,and maybe you can share some of your pics with us?

·
Registered
11,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures partner. Mine are darn near duplicates of yours so I won't bother posting them. I still can't believe how well that second walleye fought. Thought for sure it was a smallmouth. That boat is one seaworthy craft. If the captain does his job, that boat will get him home.
Remember that Lowe with the black Lab that was going out as we came in? That was Ducknut. He turned around at the river mouth as he said the waves had built to the point of breaking over the wall. Guess we made it in just ahead of the worst of it and what we had was bad enough. Understand it backed down as fast as it came up. Do you know who that was that started the motor and ran it up befor the water intake was submerged? I'll tell you when we go out again. Next weekend looks good for me.

·
More Horsepower Raider!!
1,263 Posts
Shortdrift. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Hopefully one of these days I can come up and meet some of the Erie guys and even Lewis too :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Went to a pier for a bit of shorebound walleye fishing on Sunday evening. Left home with upper-70s and no wind (less than 3 miles from the lake). At the lakefront, we found temperatures about 20 degrees cooler, with a north wind and 2-4 foot waves (more 4 than 2, it seemed). Water was muddy, with a lot of nasty currents running in and out -- so heavy at times where I couldn't reel fast enough to keep up with the crankbait. Thunderstorms building to the north and a cooler wind shift ended the short evening fishless. Back at home, it was still 70s with no wind.

Saw one boat out, and hauling a-- back in to try and beat the thunderstorms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts