close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Drought is over!

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by Tornichio, May 1, 2005.

1. My fishless drought is now officially over. I fished quite a few different places friday afternoon with not much luck. So I decided to try a spot that ak and myself have been scouting saturday afternoon. We only fished a couple of hours. I was able to land 2 fish. They were not real large but they fought pretty good since I was using 6 lb line and a med. light graphite rod. It was a lot of fun at any rate. Today we went back and did not have much response to our chum. So Ak had some things he had to do. So I went to were I had been seeing the fish, but was unable to cast that far. Set my chum out and started to fish. It was not too long into the session when my ultralight had a run. I fought the fish for quite a while and landed an 8lber. As soon as was done weighing the fish and had released it,my second rod took off. I then proceeded to land a 7 lb fish. After that the runs were fairly steady. It was pretty cold with the wind blowing as hard as it was. All together I landed 5, 1 was a 2 1/2lb catfish. I lost 3 that I had on. The largest fish I fought for quite a while when it wrapped me around a log. I held steady pressure on it but lost the fish. I could just see it's tail sticking out of the water but it was really pretty large. I don't think it would have went over 20lbs. though. I thought that it broke my line but it ended up that the hook I was using had a small gap between the eye and shank and the knot slipped through. That was a bummer. All in all not too bad of a day. I was happy to just catch something even if they were on the small side they fought real well on the light tackle.

Later,
    Marc

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

maaan.. it was fun to get out and fish.. i'm trying to get the pictures to post for ya maan.. :)
    and yup, the drought is finally oveeer.. :D thanks to u, my net stinks now.. :D

3. Great to hear you finally got into some fish. Ak has been trying to get me to fish the river with him lately...I'm just not equipped with a bike pod yet :D . Nothing like having all the work you do on new spots pay off.

4. crappielooker

sure you are equipped CW..i think i saw a few bikes in your garage.. :D
    we'll have to get together this week sometime and slay some.. ;)

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Marc I am happy for you!

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Congrats man! Your doing MUCH better than I. LOL. I haven't had the time to even get out the past few weeks. WAY too much going on up here.

7. Dude, I'm hoping wednesday will be free...looks like that'll be my only chance before the weekend. I'll let you know...

8. So the fish started biting good after Ak left :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. crappielooker

hahaa..brian.. marc should re-phrased that bit.. the bites was pretty consistant thru out the day, but after i left, it picked up.. LOL.. plus he moved on me.. :D

10. thanks for the replys guys.

I can't give ak a hard time at all he wooped me the first day we were there 4 to 0. Fished this spot 3 times so far.

Some things that I have learned this year about fishing rivers. I am by no means an expert, not even close. So I am sure you verteran river fishers know this, but I have learned that not only is current very important, but also the level of the river. It sure seems to be almost as important as current, as to weather the fish are there or not. I put in a lot of stubborn hours fishing areas where fish were not. So I have learned a valuable lesson and that is to fish where the fish are. I am always on the look out for moving fish. So when I see them I keep a note of where they are and why they are there.

a novice river fisherman,
    Marc

11. WTG Mark... I am glad to see the fish are coming your way... It will be easier now for you !!