Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught saugeye in every lake in Ohio that I've ever tried, but Atwood has my number. I've caught one fish that was what I call a keeper and I've fished there for at least 6 or 7 years. I know they're there. I've tried the following:

trolled bottom bouncers (w/ small Rapalas, worms, leeches, and minnows), jigged, slip bobbered, pulled and thrown cranks, and Lindy's at...

the two points by the marina
railroad bed on the East end
dam
hump out from the beach
sunken island
rocky points NE of sunken island 300 yds or so
riprap around the bridge North of the sunken island
open water
complete shore from the dam launch along southern shore
the party shallows

All this at every, and I mean every, time of the day. I love this lake because my sister lives close and Leesville is 10 minutes away. Any suggestions? Pulling cranks on the southern bank has been the best for me. I'm no rookie, but this place humbles me every year!

·
just catch 'em'
404 Posts
I just keep it real simple with jigs and minnows . I have tried just about everything out there and this is my favorite. That lake did get me last Saturday I thought I would limit out easily and only caught 2 crappie . They have to be turning on soon.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
ahh the lake everyone loves to hate! aka the dead sea! ok heres my opinion on atwood timing is the key. i have done my best here when
a.) its overcast with a light rain
b.) during the week (tues,weds,thurs.)
c.) late at night
d.) mid april thru mid may. then mid sept. thru mid oct.

as far as baits go the jig minnow or jig night crawler produces for me but any of the above methods works ! have you tried trolling shadraps off the public beach roadbed after dark? or drifting the sand humps off of cemetary bay late at night with crawler harnesses? casting spoons to shallow structure is also a hot method here many bass fishermen hook into saugeye while casting shallow !;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"have you tried trolling shadraps off the public beach roadbed after dark? or drifting the sand humps off of cemetary bay late at night"

I haven't heard of these places to try. Any hints as to locating them on the graph?

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
both these guys made points.SIMPLE fishing is the mian one and i will add SLOW then a little slower .The jig1/2worm is my fav.Even a plain hook 1/2 worm has produce the best for me. Hitting any of those areas dragging a jig should produce eye's. May not be :B but numbers you will catch .Larger eyes i have landed came from pounding the banks . This lake to me is late in producing fish . I seem to start catching numbers around Mothers day . This should be a good year there for eye's . But what do i know I,m just a old Browns fan thinking next year will always be better

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
If you set up around 50 yards out from the public beach .Pass by it and you will cross over the road bed Can not miss it on your finder . Most times you will find a boat or two on it ,but not to many . Evenings are a better time for this spot. Jigging casting vibee's seem to work better there for me .
Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dad and I have been fishing Atwood for about the last 4-5 years. I think it is my favorite of all the inland lakes for saugeyes. We also have the best luck keeping it simple. Drift fishing sunken islands, out from the public swim area, and also the point where the boats come out of the marina. Minnows, nightcrawlers and leaches with a splitshot and hook is all it takes. When that isn't working just a simple jig w/ a twister tail. My dad has caught a few on vibees also. Good luck next time!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ohio Wanderer,

I had the same problem as you until Mirrocraft Mike and I met there and he gave me the tips he listed below...Slooooooow was the key. I caught zero saugeye until I slowed it down. Then we were able to at least get a couple each time we went out. Unfortunately though, I learned this late in the year, so hopefully I'll find some this year!! Probably be out this weekend. Hopefully I'll have a good report to post!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
In addition to Vibees, I was turned on to casting jigging spoons a few years ago and it's produced pretty well sometimes when the above methods aren't working. 1/4 - 1/2 oz. Hopkins, Blue Fox, Cotton Cordell, Luhr Jensen, Swedish Pimples in Gold, chrome, firetiger, perch, smooth, hammered etc. (I'm still experimenting). They are normally used through the ice, but they work well all year long. I prefer casting them into the shallows in the direction I'm drifting or trolling so you are casting to water you haven't been to yet. It takes some practice to control the action and keep it in the strike zone, which is a foot or less off bottom without getting hung up. Especially when it's windy. I usually drift or super-slow troll shore lines along sandy/rocky points and edges. The eyes hit them on the fall of the spoon as it flutters down. They produce a reaction strike as apposed to saugeye that are feeding. I've fished them plain and tipped with minnows. They catch fish either way. They catch a lot of bass too. I've been fishing that stupid lake for over 20 years, but only until recently have I done much more than drug a worm around and get sunburned. I feel like I "kinda" know what I'm doing now and some days it still has my number. It really is a finicky fishin hole, but they're in there. It's very true when they say that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, and never was that any more true than on Atwood. Those 10% guys really pi** me off.:D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
...also I wanted to add that learning to catch fish on Atwood requires the patience of a Budist monk...or a Browns fan.
Just wait till next cast.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OHHHHH is that why I do so good at Atwood! :) I'm a BIG Browns fan. LOL It's hard to beat, the hook and split shot. Just enough weight to get it on the bottom. It just depends on the wind on the day your fishing, how much weight to use.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Just to let you know, your thread was discussed on the radio this weekend! Inside the Great Outdoors with Reno Reda, 1420AM WHK.... Your thread was part of the Fishing Report, brought to you by OGF!!!

Great job guys!

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
That's to cool .
Looking foward to meeting some ogf staff at the Mesquito get together . Sounds like a lot of fun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the information. It really is interesting how different techniques work at various lakes, yet I always find similarities. The "bass fishing" approach works around the state. I've thrown vibees, Rattle Traps, twisters, and even little 4" slider worms into the structure at Indian, Alum, Pleasant Hill, Wauseon and Archbold Reservoirs, and even Apple Valley with success. Atwood just hasn't produced the same way.

If any of you ever head to NW Ohio, I can hook you up with some real pigs in places that really get zero attention on the state radar.

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
May have to take you up on that offer . My buddy i was talking about taking a road trip this year to some different lakes . I will keep this in mind Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts