close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The decline of fishing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Looking for the ODNR fish stocking records, I came across some interesting information about license sales. Since 1990, there has been a 24.6% decline in the number of annual residential fishing license sales. I was aware that there was a decline, but I had no idea that it has been that severe.

1990 918481
    1991 918403
    1992 873382
    1993 867969
    1994 866700
    1995 804609
    1996 769479
    1997 781247
    1998 764177
    1999 753825
    2000 742587
    2001 754704
    2002 721472
    2003 692405

Is this trend positive or negative for Ohio fishing? Fewer sales should equate to less fishing pressure, and potentially better fishing. It also means less revenue for the ODNR, less funding for fishery management, and it could potentially have a negative impact on fishing. I'm not happy with many of the fishing regulations outlined by the ODNR (far too focused on catch and keep rather than developing trophy fisheries). However, I'm now also concerned that the future of fishing could be in even more jeopardy because of the lack of interest in the sport itself.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Very interesting, You would think that less fishemen would mean more fish..However if they start stocking less fish???

I fish Rivers mainly so stocking does not effect me.

3. Might also reflect a down swing in the states population overall. I believe we were just cut down a few represenatives to congress a few years back. The lack of heavy industry and the support that goes with them also contributes to the population going south literally and figuratively.

Lets not get into too complicated fish and game laws. That has a way of discouraging people of trying something new. If I take a lawyer fishing I do not want to be a necessity but because I enjoy their company.

4. The population of Ohio has increased from 10.8 million in 1990 to 11.4 million in 2003.

5. I would like to think that its just people going back to fishing private ponds and private bodies of water where fishing licenses are not needed. But that's probably not the whole reason.
    Just think of society today. It's run, run, and run for work, kids, etc., Fishing is a sport of patience and relaxation (if the fish are cooperating :D ) but nobody wants to slow down and enjoy the beauty of nature. For them, too bad. Just getting out to a body of water and matching wits is fun, but challenging. I hope that I can pass this great sport on to my kids one day, until then, I'll enjoy it!

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

There's an increase of jet skis and pleasure boats. Maybe that's run alot of anglers to quit. Anyone have stats on boats & jet skis ??

7. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Here's a graph that shows that the number os licenses being purchased is dropping at an avg of 16,978 per year. The red section shows the effects of the $5 increase in a license (a drop of 29,067 in one year). I guess next year we'll know how the parking fee will effect this also. The population increase pointed out by rooster is negligible at an annualized growth rate of 0.397%. The annualized growth rate for fishing licenses is -1.758. Nearly 25% loss of anglers in Ohio over the past 14 years. That's quite impressive.

Attached Files:

8. Let's not forget how licenses were sold to "fisherman" to fish Lake Erie only. In the early 90's "fisherman" came from all over the state, plus the midwest, to fish the best walley lake in the midwest. Do those numbers reflect non resident sales?

9. there are plenty of fishermen in the spots i go to, just none of them are licensed. not to many of them even speak english. they do however keep plenty of fish no matter what size they are.

10. Good information Rooster. We all need to be aware.....blinders are not an advantage. I think that the price is getting too much to bear for some....money is getting tight since the rpice of gas skyrocketed. I am very interested to know what you find out about stocking programs. Please continue the hunt for information.

11. 'harry1' its good to know that I'm not the only one who has that problem with the spots that I go to.

12. i don't care who fishes as long as they play by the rules. i'm afraid there are many who don't.

13. http://www.glhabitat.org/news/glnews407.html

Water pollution and contaminated fish aren’t just bad for your health, they’re bad for the economy. Power plant pollution is hurting the $1.2 billion sport fishing industry in the Ohio portion of Lake Erie. It is estimated that a long-term decline in angling of just 25 percent due to the lake and stream-fouling effects of mercury would cost the state’s economy $308 million per year and jeopardize many of the 10,782 jobs in Ohio that depend on fishing.