close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Darby

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Slabs!, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

Hit the Darby up last night around 7 with a friend new to river/creek fishing, one of my favorite holes that I haven't been to in years, because my old fishing partner moved away. The creek looked a lot different, or maybe it was just my memory failing me, but the hole still held fish, just like it used to, in the exact same spots. We managed six smallies and two rock bass in 2 hrs. Not bad, I think. The two biggest smallies were 12 and 18 inches. The other 4 were all 8-10in. The 18 in fish stopped my bait in its tracks and I thought I was hung up, until he bolted and ran about 40 yards downstream. Big fun on an ultralight with 4lb. line. I also missed a big boy, because I thought I was snagged until he started to run on me as well and I couldn't do anything with him for fear of breaking the line. Had a lot of fun and I think I've got my friend hooked on this creek/river fishing. Going again tonight!

2. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Any tips on good places to put in/take out a kayak on the Darby? I live in the Dayton area and have always wanted to go fish the Darby. Which is better, Big or Little Darby? Anything you could suggest would be helpful. Thanks.

3. Slabs!

I only know of one place for sure that you can put a kayak in and that is at the confluence of Big and Little Darby. You may be able to put in at Trapper John's Canoe Livery as well, but I'm not positive. You may want to repost and ask that question.

4. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Have you ever checked out these pages from the ODNR? Tremendous resource for canoing and kayaking!
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/streams/tabid/2307/default.aspx

Check your pm's

5. Slabs!

Just wanted to add, because I know there are a lot of Darby lovers out there, with good reason too, that all fish were released! I wanted to add this, because I have fished the Darby for 17+ years and I know a lot of the waters that used to produce well for me, do not any more and I have seen many people before and since the size limits were placed, remove fish from these areas. Who eats smallmouth?

6. There's a new place to put in a canoe or kayak right north of praire oaks metro park on amity road.

7. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Practice CPR......catch, photo, release!! :)

8. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Take some pics next time, I can't get enough pics of 18" smallies.

Nice job on the big fish, I have seemed to hit a ceiling at 17 1/2", but its good to hear they are out there.

I hit the darby a ton, maybe run into you out there sometime.
    Good luck.

9. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I second the pic idea, an 18" SM around here is a MONSTER PIG!!! Believe me when(not if) I get one past 18" I will have a camera ready to go.
    Mike

10. I find myself in the same boat..I havent fished Darby in a few years but want to give it a shot again, had fair success when I did go but you start trying other places and before you know it you havent been back to your old honey holes in a coons age.

11. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

Streamstalker, my dad has the old set of district pamphlets with the river access information, but I had never been able to find the same information online. Thanks for the link!

12. Slabs!

Sorry, I'm financially challenged and can't afford a camera. ;) I used to carry a disposable back in the day and probably still have undeveloped pictures. Hahaha! I don't fish the Darby much any more, because it has not been kind to me over the last few years and I forget how to get to some of the old holes I used to fish. I also don't bass fish very much any more. I think I got burnt out on it as a kid, because that's all we used to do. Stories, stories, stories.......There are plenty of big fish out there. Back in the day we used to catch a monster almost every time we went out and usually in the exact same places. Either too much pressure or just natural changes have ruined the places I used to fish often. We caught all those fish out of one pool the other day and I would almost guarantee that noone has been in those waters unless they were in a canoe or yak, and in all the previous years fishing that hole.......I've never seen anyone there and........ I'm not complaining! If big fish are what you are after.....They're all in the Walnut nowadays! Good Fishing to All!