Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man was the wave report was wrong today, it was supposed to be N wind 9knts 1-3's in the mourning and 2 fol. later in the day. We got there at 830am and the waves were 3-5's and mostly 5's and the wind was about 10-15 knts. out of the NE, so we chatted with some other guys at the ramp waiting for the wind to die down for about an hour. Then some guy and his kid launched a 16 foot alluminum boat and headed out, I was alittle worried about them so I watched them go out, just in case they got in trouble. They made it out but not far and started fishing, so we decided if they made it in that boat our 20 foot big water ranger would have no problem. it was slow going out but we got to 53 fow NE of the crib and set up to troll, we saw a couple other boats out in the 60 fow rang but saw no need to trek that far in steady 3-5's and why go all that way when the fish are so close still? First rod in the water at 10am and last fish in the boat at 4 pm. Big dipsey's at 3 and 2 1/2 setting 100 back did most of the work and the spoon colors were spring chicken, pooh bear chart. and blue mongoose w/copperback(this color pulled 8 fish in about an hour Hot!) all big spoons, best speed was 2 to 2-3 much slower than normal and not alot of trash. I think we only had one sheepy and about a dozen white bass but my buddy likes to eat those white b's so that does not bother him when we catch them. Besides the waves great day on the water w/ 1 triple and a couple doubles and a box full of eaters:D Most guys at the ramp never even launched, they took one look at the lake a packed it in and went home. Too bad for them!:D

·
Registered
367 Posts
great job!

keep in mind that those surges will make your boat go faster than the paddlewheel will tell you and possibly the gps won't register those brief surges either (not sure about that as i usually pay more attention to the paddle indicator).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right Pik. in the mourning the surges did push up the speed and the gps did register it but when it laid down alittle, that was what I was going off of. We changed the set when it started to lay down, we were happy to get anything goig early and did not experiment until it was more comfortable to do so. My knee's are still sore from trying to stay balanced while working the rods and reelin in fish, in those big waves.:T :D

·
"SUPPERS READY" ON 68
254 Posts
I Hear Ya. We Got There A 6:00 Their Was No Wind At My House . But It Was Rollin. Slow Go To The Crib Fished 52-59' Lost First 3 Fish To Equiptment Falier, The Leaders Kept Breaking, Bad Line. Lost 3 More Spitting The Hook At The Boat. Fixed That Problem We We Slowed Down To Net The Fish. Some Really Big Rollers.seemed Like We Were In And Out Of Fish All Day. The 57' Are Was Proudicing Well Than Just Turned Off. The Downrigger With Worm Harness Was Hot. Also Big Dypsi Set At One 90 Off Back With Harness.big Dypsie Off Side Set At 2 75 Back. Finished With 3 Man Ticket At 1:00

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey King,Launch out of edgewater and look straight out north and its the big orange thing sitting in the water, can't miss it. Remember that we only use this as a reference point to describe where we are really fishing. Maybe there are some near it but we allways fish away from it.:T :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts