close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Captn's First Smoke!

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by captnroger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Inspired by this thread: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=94710

I've never done a successful smoke before, let alone own a "real smoker". So I set out to Walmart to purchase SMS unit (99 buck gasser), thanks to Sporty for the transport as the box wouldn't fit in my truck. Assembled it, and it sat on my back deck for a couple of weeks. Today I decided would be the day to give it a shot.

Off to Giant Eagle for some full spares ($2.29 a lb and they will trim them into full spares, pull the membrane and give you the skirt and extras free of charge.) Got them home and cleaned them up a bit (for reference the cutting board below is 24" wide, big ribs!)

[​IMG]

After rubbing yellow mustard and the rub, they are ready for the smoker:

[​IMG]

Here they are, loaded in the smoker. I replaced the small smoker box with a 8" cast iron pan loaded with a couple of chunks of mesquite wood.

[​IMG]

Smoke closed up and sitting at 225 on the nose after it comes up to temp.

[​IMG]

Updates to follow

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

An hour into the smoke I start to work on the fatty (stuffed pork sausage). I decided to stuff mine with green peppers, onions, and motz cheese. Here are the veggies sweating down:

[​IMG]

Ready to roll:

[​IMG]

Ready for smoker: (note to self, let hot ingredients cool before loading onto the sausage...was a real bear to roll and I'm not sure the seam will hold:

[​IMG]

1-1/2hrs into the smoke, the smoker is cranked as low as it can go and I'm reading a steady 230 on a relatively hot day. I guess I'll take it. I hit the ribs with some apple juice/jim beam mixture for the first time as I load the fatty (note to sell, you're about out of jim beam...) More to follow:

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Fatty's out of the smoker resting. I used thick bacon, and even though it looks uncooked it's quite crispy. I took the fatty up to 175 before pulling it to give the bacon some extra time. Can't wait to cut into it.

[​IMG]

Ribs cooked uncovered for 3 hrs at 225, they went into foil for two hours, will pull them in 1/2 hr and unfoil and let them smoke another hour, pics when I do that.

Impressed with the smoker so far. Very easy to keep the temps + or - 10 degrees even on a windy day. Remote probe and alarm helps.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

and this is why you don't trust the built-in themometer. Even though the grill thinks it's 250degrees, the seperate probe on the right confirms 226 even though they are less than an inch apart in the smoker! That's a 24 degree difference!

[​IMG]

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

sorry for the blurry pic, it's from my iPhone. Here's the inside of the fatty:

[​IMG]

Closeup of smoke ring:

[​IMG]

This stuff is going to be great with Eggs tomorrow morning. Fantastic flavor. Needs more smoke but I'd rather have too little than too much.

Ribs coming out of the foil:

[​IMG]

Very tender. Almost fell apart when I transferred them back to the rack. Here's an undershot to see how much they separated from the bone:

[​IMG]

I realize now I used too much rub but hopefully it will cook off during the last hour of cooking. They are back in the smoker uncovered for another hour this time at 230 to "tighten" them up, and I threw a hunk of wood in the skillet as I wasn't happy with the smoke level of the fatty. Hopefully that'll help. I did taste one of the piece of the "skirt" that was cut from the bottom of the rib and oh my was it ever tasty.

T-minus 1 hr till the feast!!!

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Ribs turned out fantastic. Some were "fall off the bone" and all were "bite off the bone". Definately room for improvement but they were very tasty, and I'm way stuffed. Finally product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Lookin' good Roger!!!

Pics look a lot better than the text messages :p.

8. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

You're killin me Roger...I have the same smoker except it's charcoal. I use a different beer too..."Unleaded Bud works much better" :cool:
    You can never put too much rub or use too much wood for smoke on those puppies...the more the merrier. Heck, I like using straight wood and no charcoal...that's the true method of the "Pit Master's" :D
    Take a shot at a cured Turkey, you will not regret it...and everyone will love you too...! ;)

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Oh Rod, needless to say I'm hooked. I usually eat pretty well so Turkey is on my list. Next will be a pork butt though, and ATBs. Turkey will be third smoke.

10. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Roger, pickup a package of "Tender Quick" curing salt. Dissolve 1 pound in 2-3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket. Put the bird in and let it cure for 2-3 days in the fridge. Season it up and place an apple, orange(sliced), onion, and celery ribs in the cavity. Throw it on the smoker and walk away...you're in there buddy. :D

Oh yeah, let the bird set in luke warm water for 1 hour prior to cooking. This will pull out any excess salt.

11. Roger,
    dang , it all looks awesome! I love fatties. mostly i do them unstuffed , but whenever i see Bob Evans on sale, I snag me a half a dozen and always have a couple smoking on next shelf above my other meat. Personally, I would think bacon would be an overkill (at least on my arteries) with an already fatty meat..but hey...go for it!!!

12. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Don't knock it until you try it mister. It's great with eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast! Next one I try will be Italian style with sauce, pepperoni and cheese.

13. Looks real good! I think bacon on top of sausage is truly inspirational!

If you like sharp white chedder, such as Vermont or New York makes, pick up a couple small blocks of Cabot's from Kroger or Wal-Mart and smoke some this winter. Need a very small fire, just enough to make a thin stream of smoke and let it go for about an hour. Killer with summer sausage and in ABTs!