Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....of 17" plus eyez.

3 charters in a row with 5hr or less limits.
2 of the 3 trips were C & R.
34-36 fow from Rt 61 stack to the Castle and beyond.
6oz bottom bouncers back 70-90, 3 oz inline harnesses back 60, and 2 oz with deep RR's back 60-80 all produced well. Double willows outperformed colorados or hatchets. Best colors pinks 'n' purples.

Today the crew wanted to try for some smallies after the eye limit , so we moved into the skinny off the reef east of Cranberry, 14 -17fow. Drift'n'casted but only caught more walleye, a couple cats but no smallies. 2 of the 3 days the whities were minimal. There are some 4-6lbr's mixed in, but the majority were right at the 17" mark. Trash minimizes over 2 mph, but today the eyes wanted it a little slower, 1.6mph.

With "all" the reports of smaller fish being caught this year, the future looks much brighter than the official forecasts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good deal Oh Yeah! Great getting to meet another OGFer. I was behind you sunday at the ramp in the white Lund. It took us a little longer than 5 hrs but we got em. Great eaters. 17". It didn't help that my crew caught the Erie flu. But I give em credit they wanted to stay.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BaiterBen, yeah it was good meetin ya at the ramp. In Sundays waves, we made it to 28/22 before my crew cried "No Mas". We then made a single 5hr troll sw with the waves. We had a steady pick of fish all the way to the Rt 61 stack just east of the Huron river.

BigJohnson, oh yeah it was some kinda fun breaking out the spinning reels and "catching" them again. Good old 3/4oz erie dearies ruled the day vs harness rigs : ) Casting & hopping bare hair jigs even pulled a few in the skinny water. We had a blast ! <my Opti is running so much better now that all 6 cylinders are firing !! >

So far I've been able to raise the size limit to at least 17" on my boat and haven't had any negative feedback from customers.

It's been years since the bowl has been this active in late July. 6 boats ago and flatlining a RR while drifting and casting : ))))))

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Really great news to hear of people hitting good numbers of smaller (17-20") fish. The hatch surveys have left a lot of questions about what the future of walleye fishin would be like.

A big "thanks" to everyone who can drop those "barely legal" fish back over the side to grow another yr or two. Just because it's legal doesn't mean ya have to box it.

Good luck....be safe out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to the advice of the OP; we went out yesterday evening. We originally tried pulling RR's at various depths, speeds, and water depth without any fish. We decided to change over to hot n' tots and go in shallow. Within 5 minutes of switching over to the hot n' tots, we started picking up the walleye. All fish were caught in 15 to 19 feet of water, directly off of the white boat house between Cranberry and the Castle. We were using the green firetiger color; 90-94 back with 20lb powerpro. Speed was 2.2 to 2.3mph. We kept 9 fish between 17 and 22 inches. Released 3 fish under 17 inches; kept 1 under 17 inches because it was bleeding badly. All fish caught between 7:30 and 9pm. All of the fish seemed to come off the contours between the reef that sits in 13 foot of water and the drop off on the north side. The other boats in the area seemed to to pick up on the pattern, and successfully caught fish also. The fish are grouped up really tight pods. I hope they are still there on Sunday! Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Nick-were you using the 1/4 oz. or 1/2 oz. Hotntot? Running planer boards or flat-lining. Haven't used Hotntots for years but we killed in Canada a few yrs. ago on them. Maybe something different made the difference. I know those resident fish have seen hundreds of worm harnesses and RRs. Thanks for the info. Will make sure I have Hotntots in my boat from now on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nick-were you using the 1/4 oz. or 1/2 oz. Hotntot? Running planer boards or flat-lining. Haven't used Hotntots for years but we killed in Canada a few yrs. ago on them. Maybe something different made the difference. I know those resident fish have seen hundreds of worm harnesses and RRs. Thanks for the info. Will make sure I have Hotntots in my boat from now on.
We were using the larger size, so I guess that would be the 1/2 oz. We were flat-lining. I wanted to put some boards out, but never got around to it. If fact, we only had two lines in the water, didn't have the opportunity to put more in- kept having to take the damn fish off. Lol.
As with you, it's literally been years since I've fished with a hot n' tot. I grew up fishing out of Cranberry, and remembered killing the walleyes in close with hot n' tots; and thought "why the hell not try". Nothing else was working, but it was no more than 5 minutes after putting one on that we had our first fish. Never caught a fish other than a walleye; but that probably had something to do with our speed. Hell, I might have to break out my stash of Wiggle Warts and Flat-fish to see what they do. Lol.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Thanks for the info. We used wiggle warts and hot tots flat lining yrs ago too, may have to change it up a bit. What kind of boat do you have? I have a 17 1/2
Sea Nymph fishin machine. Usually on channel 79 or 68 when out of Huron/Vermilion area. Call name Kenlow. Good luck-maybe see ya on the water. Thinkin bout going Sunday but need to check weather. Did your fish turn on more before dark or was it a steady bite?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The "bowl" is the stretch of water between Huron and vermilion. Just because it looks like a bowl on the map. Really good spot for wallies in the fall for sure. And according to these fine gents, now as well! Go get em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts