close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The best cellular company?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Well I have to get a cell phone, this summer I'll be traveling all over the upper Mississippi water shed elctroshocking and doing rotone surveys on fish populations. I'll be living in Cincinnati but I'll only be there on the weekends, since the work I'll be doing requires a lot of travel time. I figured in order to stay in touch with family while I'm out on the road, I had better get a cell.

Right now I'm considering Verizon, they seem to have coverage just about everywhere and from what I've heard have great customer service, which Sprint PCS lacked. I will not go back to Sprint, ever! So I was kinda wondering what you guys though, who your providers are, and what your experiance with them has been like.

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I would recamend going with Nextel . Their service area is alsome and the rate plans are very competitive . I realy like the direct connect feature , it is like a two way radio and is great for short conversations or long ones and most plans have unlimeted direct connect minutes . :)

3. I tried several other cellular phone services and none of them provided the coverage like Verizon. I was able to call when other sales personnel with me were unable to do so. This held true all over the USA.
    You will notice that Verizon does not offer the deals that others do, because they have the best and most extensive coverage and best service when someone needs national or out of state coverage. There are some that supply adequate coverage on a local basis. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Hope this helps you decide. :)

4. I vote verizon. I drive a semi, and when I was over the road, country wide, verizon had the least amount of dead zones. I drove with another guy for a while and I could get reception in places he couldn't.

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Verizon is what I have had for several years. Never had a problem with service, or connections. I travel way up in Canada a few times a year and get service to about 10 miles from our cabin. I've even had service on cloudy days in our bay.

6. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

T-Mobile is the best I have found yet. Never get a dull signal and I have been alot of places since I have got it with no roaming. It is almost impossible to get roaming with t-mobile because they use their own towers and have agreement to use towers from verizon, nextel, cincinnati bell wireless, and cingular.

7. I have had Verison for quite a few years and never had a problem. This year I had to renew again and when I went into the office I told them I was happy with the rate I had and wanted the no thrills like I've had in the past. They renewed my contract no problem and they always have answered my concerns. I do alot of traveling and never had a problem. Still have my begining phone also. Once I dropped it in a boat and did some damage to it, took it to my local Verison dealer and they repaired and no charge.
    So far I'm happy , for all I want it to do is work when I want to use it.
    JimG

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thanks for all the great input guys, I just placed an online order for a Verizon phone, we'll see how it works out.

Thanks again.

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Stay far far away from AT&T wireless!

10. Didn't you mean AT&T connectless. They were the first one I tried and it was a total disaster.

11. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

10.00 a mo. for my wife's phone(no miutes)
    15.00 a mo. for mine, and it even includes 30 free miutes a month!
    ( I never use up my full 30 minutes.) Am I getting hosed? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

12. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Considering that I have worked in the telecommunications industry for 10 years now, I can tell you that what is more important is the phone itself, and not neccisaraly the service you go with. Don't get me wrong, the service is important. Most service carriers these days use the same towers as their competitor. They rent space on the tower. What you want to look for is obviously a good rate plan. Free Nights and Weekends are nice. But to me, the most important thing is the phone itself. I have had something like 10 cell phones through probably 7 different companies. Some company's just sucked. Other were pretty good. I currently have Sprint and I never have a problem with service.

My phone broke about 2 months ago, I took it to the store, and I had a brand new one in about 5 min. No questions asked.

good luck.

flash-------------------------------out

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

KSU, that reminds me of an old post I made about my girlfriends phone falling the toilet, if you all recall. She went to the Sprint Store and told them what happened and they started trying to sell her their cheapest model phones - like 200 dollars! She didn't have the insurance policy on her old phone so she was basically up the creek without a paddle. We'll I still had a Sprint phone from the time I used them, so I gave her the phone to use this way she wouldn't incurr any charges. Wrong, $35 setup fee :( Even worse, I just found this out yesterday - she took the toilet phone home with her and plugged it in to see if it would charge, and it did. Now she wants to use her nice new phone again and they are going to smuggle 35 bucks outta her once more.

14. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I know the feeling Fishman. Don't think that Sprint is the only one doing this setup fee, etc... All service providers will try to milk you of your money. If we are talking about the quality of celluar reception, not neccisaraly customer service and cost, then I would say Sprint has the best digital network around.

flash-----------------------out

15. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

All i can say is MY NEXTELL COVERAGE SUCKS.

Mitch

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I was basically just trying to find the "all around" best company. When I first got my Sprint phone, I was told that I would have service in my home town of Shelby. Ya, I got service in my front yard - barely - but once I went in the house or further North into Shelby my service was gone. But the reason I left Sprint wasn't because of the quality of the cellular service but it was the lack there of customer service that burned me. If I lived in a bigger city and was always around big citys, I think that Sprint would be the company for me.

I signed up for Verizon, if I would have went with a 2 year agreement they would have waived my set up fee and my phone would have been 50 dollars cheaper. But I'm leary of all cellular companys - I've needed a cell these past few years but I never got one on account of the experiance I had with Sprint. Hopefully this time things go a bit smoother, you are right they are all in the business of getting our money its just the means they go by to get it and how nicely they pick my pockets that counts ;)

17. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Another nice thing with Verizon is if you call others on Verizon it's a no charge call. Most of my son's friends have Verizon and the calls to them do not get billed.

18. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I have Sprint now and it doesn't work at all inside of buildings. Outside it works fine, but it doesn't do so well inside of buildings. My g/f has cingular and I haven't seen a place it hasn't worked yet. When my phone has no service because I am inside, hers works fine. I think that I will be switching to Cingular soon.

19. My fiancee and I have had Verizon for a few months now and have been very pleased with it...other than a few oddball areas where it will go into roaming i've had no problems with reception. They made a few mistakes when setting up the account, but fixed them without any hassle and even charged me less than what i owed for the month with the billing mixup.

20. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Woohoo Something I am knowlegable in. Okay well here are my thoughts. I was a service technician for Alltel and Verizon before being laid off. I know this is going to be debatable but hear me out.

There is not one best company and here is why. KSU is right most company rent out thier air time and towers for roaming agreements. But the best company for you is going to depend what areas you are going to use it the most. If you are going to be by a major city all the time... The nextels and sprints are going to do a great job. I know with my sprint going up 75 There are quite a few places my phone flat out sucks.

For those of you up north. Verizon and Alltel have roaming agreements since they both use CDMA technology for their phones. When I was by lake Erie Alltel was great and when I was in Columbus I picked up Verizon both being good.

T-Mobile, Spint, Nextel, AT&T and the smaller companies are all good in certain areas.

Technically speaking Verizon (they are all over) and the places that have Alltel are going to give the best all around coverage because of the technology they adapted and basically have the most towers through out the US by far.

Nextel... They have a saying which is very true. Its Nextel or nothing. They dont give the option of roaming or sharing towers so you either have service or you dont.

Sprint... Uses PCS .. Its kind of like CDMA but its a higher frequency and does not pick up as well in buildings such as Verizon Also they have a harder hand off from tower to tower dropping a lot of calls Im not sure if the dropped calls are due to the higher frequency.

Cingular and I believe Cincinatti Bell all use TDMA... Another type of Digital which is really nice but the networks just arent there for the smaller cities.

T-Mobile uses GSM which technology wise is way ahead of verizon and such but again the networks just arent there. England has an awesome cell phone network and they adapted the GSM digital service which is a form of TDMA digital.

Verizon is typically going to be your best bet as far as service goes in most places in the US. The down side is honestly the CDMA technology isnt quite as good which means they have to adapt their phones to handle things. Which is why their phones are really good technically speaking but that is why you notice they are ALWAYS behind on getting the cool stuff. AKA camera phones and all that neat stuff.

Side note. I can get in to a whole big speil over the phones themselves and KSU is right that also makes a huge difference. I prefer Motorola. Especially for Verizon. Although Samsung is pretty good They use to have battery problems although I think that has been fixed. Kyrocera (formally Qualcomm) invented digital and was the leader for a while but Im just not a big fan.

Anything else you want to know ask away :D