close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

the bay was on fire

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnfreak, Jul 7, 2007.

1. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

me and a buddy hit the sandusky bay yesterday. we launched my boat and headed to the railroad bridge not really expecting much but to kill some time and maybe catch a few cats and some sheepies.. boy were we wrong. we anchored off the bridge about 100 feet in 10 fow. it took us 20 minutes to catch the first channel cat then they just started hittin fast and furious. the only thing i can compare it to is perch fishing they bit so fast. i have never in my life caught so many good quality catfish in one spot. there must have been hundreds in that little area we lost count at 50. thats the first time i have fished the bay from a boat but ill deffinately be back to do it again. no real hogs but we caught alot of fish in the 3-5 lb class with 3 going over 6. none the less it was a great day on the water.

2. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

I went up there on thrusday, and like you said, the action was fast and furious! They hit real good from about 11 am to 3pm, slowed down for about 2 hours, and then it was on again until i left at 10. Really is a good time, i did have some big sheepies mixed in (caught on cutbait too) and what a workout it was. I really did pee off a few people by throwing all of my cats back. the key was casting into the current, that seemed to yield the better cats.

When the flatheads are spawning, i think i may have found a way to keep myself cattin' until mid august.

3. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Sounds like you guys had fun. It's been awhile since I've boated the bay, but it used to be pretty consistent with the cats and bullhead. I know in the Spring it can be on fire like that - but don't ever recall hearing such good news from summer. Very cool!

I have been fishing the Portage River pretty consistently and doing rather well on the channel cats. Was very happy I took a break to fish the Maumee though on the 5th! ;)

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I knew I had snapped a pic... nothing special here's the size I been getting:

[​IMG]

5. Man the cats are turning on around here also looks like fun!

6. Kayaked Abbotts Bridge to Old Fort today. Cats were biting quite well along the way as well. Good, relaxing, fun trip!