Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Fish fire food friends family
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out before 7 am this morning with drive up North and Chagrin river. I fished several spots and eventually ended up at Chagrin river park. (Lost nation)

Low clear water with a lot of folks out fishing and walking. I saw only one fish caught and several surface break's. I made a stop at a lower Chagrin river spot on way home...and with just my 3rd cast got into a nice fish. After a few pictures and release i paused a few minutes then started for home to get ready for the day.馃馃張.

Happy Thanksgiving OGF.

Don.
Water Fluid Liquid Fish Fin
Cloud Water Plant Sky Water resources
Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Daytime Hood
Food Organism Fish Fish products Fin

Registered
Nice one and Happy Thanksgiving... I hit the North Chagrin Res today, pretty early actually, didn't expect that MANY people out. Could only manage a few hours before the crowd was just too much as the weather warmed.

Last 3 days big crowds everywhere I've been. Tuesday North Chagrin was pretty packed even with most holes kinda iced over, Wednesday I hit up the Grand River for teh first time, lotta people there as well, and today was an insane amount of people.

A plus I guess was everyone was extremely friendly which was nice considering how close people were to each other in alot of spots, must be that holiday spirit :)

Registered
I fished several spots and eventually ended up at Chagrin river park. (Lost nation)

Low clear water with a lot of folks out fishing and walking.
Nice fish. I made the 2.5 hour drive up to Chagrin Park last Wednesday and immediately regretted it. Pretty sure every able-bodied male over the age of 5 in the greater Cleveland area was there. Thought I missed my exit and accidentally ended up at Elk - not quite elbow to elbow but darn close at a few holes. Walked/fished my way upstream for over a mile and finally pulled the plug and headed home. Finished the day with the 3 or 4 nice smallies in one of my favorite stretches near my house so wasn鈥檛 a complete loss.

Registered
Nice fish. I made the 2.5 hour drive up to Chagrin Park last Wednesday and immediately regretted it. Pretty sure every able-bodied male over the age of 5 in the greater Cleveland area was there. Thought I missed my exit and accidentally ended up at Elk - not quite elbow to elbow but darn close at a few holes. Walked/fished my way upstream for over a mile and finally pulled the plug and headed home. Finished the day with the 3 or 4 nice smallies in one of my favorite stretches near my house so wasn鈥檛 a complete loss.
Ya Tuesday through Saturday, the Chagrin was a cluster****... I'd been hitting it up in various spots since late August, and never have seen that many people at some of the times I was going. I was up near Eastlake at the buttcrack of dawn like 615am, and there were already 15 people, and by 9am there were close to 50. And the majority of them weren't the usual nice "it okay if i cast here" type of people, they were the throw over your lines and get elbow to elbow with you if they see you catch something. I'd never been more frustrated on Saturday, I even lost my cool for the first time fishing after 2 people snagged my line not once but twice, didn't apologize then did it again literally 2 minutes later.

Hopefully this week will be less eventful :)

Premium Member
Ya Tuesday through Saturday, the Chagrin was a cluster****... I'd been hitting it up in various spots since late August, and never have seen that many people at some of the times I was going. I was up near Eastlake at the buttcrack of dawn like 615am, and there were already 15 people, and by 9am there were close to 50. And the majority of them weren't the usual nice "it okay if i cast here" type of people, they were the throw over your lines and get elbow to elbow with you if they see you catch something. I'd never been more frustrated on Saturday, I even lost my cool for the first time fishing after 2 people snagged my line not once but twice, didn't apologize then did it again literally 2 minutes later.

And this is why I don鈥檛 combat fish for steelies. I avoid that nonsense. Praying there isn鈥檛 a mass shooting out there. Crazy people out here nowadays.

Registered
And this is why I don鈥檛 combat fish for steelies. I avoid that nonsense. Praying there isn鈥檛 a mass shooting out there. Crazy people out here nowadays.
I feel ya, I usually try to go where no one is and leave if people come too close to me... I don't mind fishing near people if they friendly and understand common sense of boundaries :unsure:

Anyhoo, I'm about to head out and give the north Chagrin another go in some rain, high water and at 6am in hopes I'm alone for a bit :)

Registered
And this is why I don鈥檛 combat fish for steelies. I avoid that nonsense.
Neither do I usually but my typical spots weren鈥檛 in play that day so didn鈥檛 have much choice. I figured it would be pretty crowded given the holiday and water levels both further east and on the west side but didn鈥檛 think it would be that bad. Honestly should鈥檝e saved the gas and just stayed home and chased smallies all day. Oh well - like they say a bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Yeah that can happen - people sorta lose their minds sometimes when it comes to fishing especially when it comes to migratory or running fish - steelies, walleyes, even white bass. There鈥檚 a running joke in the golf business about how sometimes the most reasonable, intelligent people will immediately put all reason and intelligence aside the moment they pull into the clubhouse - LOL. Same thing applies here. Be careful out there today - looks like she鈥檚 up quite a bit.

Registered
Be careful out there today - looks like she鈥檚 up quite a bit.
Ya did about 4 hours, water was up I wanna say 2 feet... Somewhat cloudy but not completely murky, was running real fast in the spot I was at. Saw a few surface a couple times and had one hit some orange-ish beads, which was I was trying out for the first time drift fishing(not my cup of tea) and lost it after a few a seconds. Had another hard hit on a chatreuse spinner but didn't hook up.

All in all not a horrible day, slight drizzle where I was you get no wind, and best thing was only saw 1 other person from 630 to 10am :)

Gonna give the Grand another try tomorrow, I expect to see more people there prolly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts