Thanksgiving day ideas

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by willy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. willy

willy no boat

I thought I would start a thread for everyone to post their favorite Thanksgiving day recipes. What's your favorite way to cook a turkey, what other meats does anyone make instead of or to go along with it, favorite sides, desserts, untraditional, familiy favorites etc. I saw the previous post with the awesome looking bread but I dont want to hijack your post!
    This will be our first year staying at home doing our own spread, we are planning on roasting a fresh store bought turkey with some standard side dishes (stuffing out of the bird, mashed taters, gravy, veggies and pies and whatever else sound good).
    Feel free to add some thanksgiving stories along with the posts if you wish!

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i can't wait to stuff my fat gut:D
    with about 18 of us(kids,gkids,ex,etc,LOL)it's kinda a group effort with the cooking.
    main course will be deep fried turkey(after a good overnight soak in the brine)along with homemade version of honey baked ham.
    then come the mashed taters,scalloped taters,candied sweet taters,baked beans,veggies,stuffing.
    probably a couple casseroles including my favorite,corn pudding.
    my own yummy deviled eggs and who knows what else,LOL.
    then to top it all off,various cakes,pies(including my favorite,pecan),etc and maybe i'll bake up a big batch of my awesome bread pudding.
    that should keep me on the couch for a couple days:D;)

3. willy

willy no boat

-My bro did a deep fried turkey a few years ago it was awesome, what's your brine consist of?
    -Corn Pudding? never had it how do you make it???
    -Deviled eggs sound yummy, how do you make yours?
    -My squeezebox loves bread pudding, maybe I should try making some this year
    -How many calories are in this thread???

4. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

My family is coming to my house this year again. It will be the usual turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato dish, cheesey noodles, green bean dish, corn, homemade bran rolls and pies. I'm making for the first time individual "acorns" that you make with doughnut holes, they look like they will be really cute :) Heres my moms favorite sweet potato recipe:

Carameled Sweet Potatoes
    1-2 Large cans of Sweet Potatoes
    1 t. Salt
    1 C. Brown Sugar
    2 T. Marg.
    2 T. Flour
    1 C. Mini Marshmallows
    1 C. Whipping Cream
    1/2 C. Chopped Pecans
    Drain syrup off of the sweet potatoes and arrange in a greased
    9x13" dish. Mix salt, brown sugar, and flour and pour over potatoes.
    Dot with Marg. Sprinkle marshmallows and nuts. Pour cream over all.
    Bake 350 for 45-50 min.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

just google corn pudding or corn casserole.lots of recipes out there and i don't have my favorite except for my daughter-in-law's,lol.
    for my deviled eggs,it's a simple recipe.miracle whip,a squirt of mustard,pinch of salt,sweet relish and sugar to taste.i like mine tangy and sweet at the same time;)
    for turkey brine try 1 pound salt,1 pound brown sugar dissolved in a couple gallons of water.you can add spices,but i don't.

for bread pudding,try my recipe in this forum.your squeeze will love you for it;)

6. Heres my stuffing recipe-let me know if you guys like it.

3 loaves white bread-cut off crusts (let dry overnight)
    12 eggs
    box of saltine crackers
    1 cup chicken boullion
    black pepper
    3/4 tsp sage
    1/2 lb mushrooms choped up a little bit
    1 cup giblet liquid(when you boill the organs and neck for the dog)
    1 mediun onion diced
    1 lg bunch parsley chopped fine
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    2 stalks celery-diced

tear bread into small pieces-put in pot with giblet liquid-then add eggs, onions, and bullion, then mash. If too dry add water, if too wet add crushed saltines. Then add parsley, black pepper, salt, sage, celery, green pepper,and mushrooms. Fold together. Remember-too dry=water. too soupy=crushed saltines
    put as much as you can in the birds butt, and bake the rest in a casserole dish

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

We have pretty much the same traditional stuff here but I cook the bird on my Weber charcoal kettle. I absolutely only use Kingsford charcoal. Tried several others over the years including some expensive "hardwood" ccoals but none beats Kings. It's simple to do, just follow the instructions that come with the grill. Oh .... and if the weather is cold and blowing do it in the garage. MMMMMMmmmmm now hurry up Thursday!

8. ...Was looking for something different for the table this year...WB185Ranger..your recipe for the Carmeled Sweet Potatoes sound like it will hit the taste buds right where it feels good...Thanks for the recipe...Happy Holidays

9. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Crappie Lover............Your Welcome! I hope you enjoy this recipe. Everyone fights on who will get to take the leftovers home :) Happy Holidays to you too! WB

10. Man no one said Oyster stuffing, w/ some fried ones on the side. Yum.

11. I'd love to get an oyster stuffing recipe

12. As a teenager I would go to my Uncle Jim's farm on Thanksgiving morning and shoot a pheasant. The whole family would arrive early afternoon for a brief visit and then it was time for the feast. The pheasant was for Uncle Jim and me to enjoy along with the eggnog, Turkey, meat stuffing, cranberrys, candied yams, mashed potatoes, breaded cauliflower, corn, green vegetables and fresh homemade bisquits. That was followed by several different pie slices and then it was off to the living room and...................a snooze. Wake up, more eggnog and maybe another plate of your favorites. :p

Now it is a little different. The terrific food spread is the same but the consumption quantity is down and the length of snooze is longer.;)

Isn't Life GREAT!!!!!!!

A Happy and Safe Thanksgiving to all.:)

13. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i've been way too good for a long time trying to lose a little weight but come thursday i'm gonna eat like i'm going the the electric chair!!!:)
    we're having some family coming over this year and my wife does up everything i like!
    dressing,scalloped oysters,oyster dressing,home made noodles,sweet potatos,mashed potatos,rolls,green beans,pumpkin pie,scalloped corn and a bird so big it'll bend the serving forks when i take it out of the roasting pan!!!
    the house will smell great for a couple of days.
    i really wanted to get my entire family together this year but it just didn't work out though.
    i hope every one has a great thanksgiving and be safe when you're traveling!