Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all OGF'ers who post helpful techniques and programs for us rookies. I have learned sooo much that has helped me shorten the learning curve and has lead to many fun and successful outings. Not always a limit but that never was the only goal. It's just flat out more fun when you know what you're doing! Two solo trips last week NE of Kelleys both ended with limits caught and one day, after searching for hours, I finally found some hungry fish and had a ball trying to net them by myself. Especially the last two of the day, back to back FO's. The most important success so far this summer was having my brother-in-law from Tennessee, who has been enduring Chemo off and on for two years, up for a couple of days of fishing. I had his Big Lots FLW rain suit ready (that he's modeling in the pic) and he had a ball catching walleye on our harnesses that we rigged up (thanks to all your posts) just for the occasion. Finally, please keep posting cause hundreds of us are reading and learning and appreciate all you do. Oh yeah, pink panties and horny toad, 0 dipsy, 3 setting, back 85. Thanks again
Waterline (Steve) Hope it posts OK.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Awesome job, Big fish on top of it. OGF is grand isn't it. That's what we are hear for!!!. Nice story! keep at em and you'll be filling tickets like it's your job soon enought practice makes perfect. :T

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
This is what the OGF is all about! Glad to see you are gettin' the hang of it. You ought to try to make the Spring Hetfest at turtle creek for jigging/trolling/eating fun, and also the Hawgfest is a great get together, usually at least 1 or 2 days of prefishing means campfires and BSing at the campground.

I don't know what I'd do without the helpful folks here, I know that much.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Nice fish. Yep I too started out on OGF blind but these guys have shown me the way. However still waiting for the Fish O.

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
Nice fish. Yep I too started out on OGF blind but these guys have shown me the way. However still waiting for the Fish O.
This fall out of Huron you and I will put several on the boat for ya. We have been talking about getting out together far too long ! The stars will align this fall ! LOL !

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yes they will Matt. BTW heading out of Cranberry Friday weather permitting.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Great job on the 'eyes! How far ne of kellys did you have to go? Hope to make the run the first part next week. I've only got an 18'er so I gotta pick my days carefully.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The smiles and the fish in the pics pretty much tell the story. Glad the lake is treating ya well.

Good luck...be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
I would say "shortening the learning curve" is an understatement! Congrats on some beautiful fish. I too have benefitted from the shortened learning curve due to this site. Keep post coming, others do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Steve;

Great Post! Thank you for sharing your report it's a good read! A couple hours of hunting says a lot about you. Nothing better than the hunt! Hours of searching will most often reap any limit you want on Erie...Nothing better than finding and catching your own! But the fever begins..You will say I'm catching 2-4 pounders' but elsewhere someone is catching 4-5 pounders' but else where someone is catching 6-7 pounders' and somewhere else someone is catching 8-10 pounders' and even bigger! It is an "itis"...East of Kelley's is magic!!!

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ErieEye, lately I have been starting several miles East of the Island and just working my way North, Northeast until I find fish. One of the benefits of my last two solo trips is there is no pressure on the captain. I can goof off and experiment with different things and if it takes several hours with just sheephead then I keep going. Usually, I've got the time and the patience, and l'll eventually find a pod of fish and keep working them. My boat is a tad short of 18' also and I pick my days with care. If you're staying on the Island you might be able to work in afternoon or evening trips even if the Lake starts out a little rough in the morning. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all other replies, I appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
ErieEye, lately I have been starting several miles East of the Island and just working my way North, Northeast until I find fish. One of the benefits of my last two solo trips is there is no pressure on the captain. I can goof off and experiment with different things and if it takes several hours with just sheephead then I keep going. Usually, I've got the time and the patience, and l'll eventually find a pod of fish and keep working them. My boat is a tad short of 18' also and I pick my days with care. If you're staying on the Island you might be able to work in afternoon or evening trips even if the Lake starts out a little rough in the morning. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all other replies, I appreciate them.
Great fish!! nice job. The guys here are great and helpful. I love the solo trips also. when I take my son or friend theres always the perssure to find and catch the fish. Solo I can also try diffrent things to see how the work.
I have a new harness I made and want to try. A willow balde with and eye on it and the blade in front is a smaller gold mayfly blade. Im not sure but Im willing to try it.
Last Thrus. Picked up a nice eye around 3 miles east of the north side of kellys.

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The best fishing site on the internet period.....I just started on erie last year after growing up near and fishing mosquito my whole life,I have a lot to learn and these guys have made it a whole lot easier...nice fish!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts