Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fish when I can...
28 Posts
F.Y.I.

My brother and I get out about 4 times a year. We went to Long Lake on Sunday and had an unremarkable day fishing (except for the time we spent fishing together). When we went to pull out, there were 2 parties who spent the better part of an hour " on the ramps.

The party of the first had been done fishing for a while and was filling in a hole in the ramp (I applaud this by the way). The party of the second had two guys who were either spening time smoking crack while they got their boat in the water--or, perhaps, had bladder problems. While this was happening, the party of the first entertained one of the 2 guys in the second party until the other guy finally showed up-

My problem:

The party of the first sat and tied up 2 ramps while he screwed around filling in a 2 foot hole right in the middle of the ramp area. The party of the second disappeared (well, one of them did)--after they had moved their boat into the launch area. (or something else) while 3 other boats floatilla'ed around waiting to pull their boats out. This went on for the better part of the next 45 minutes.

Am I crazy because I didn't go off on these folks? My brother had to be somewhere and was late because of their action/inaction. How would you have handled this? I would love to hear your response(s)!

Tight lines-

·
Registered
969 Posts
Unfortunatley we have to deal with some real morons like this at ramps sometimes. I know what I would've done, especially if I suspected drug activity. I would rather not say!

·
Bassmaster
285 Posts
If I know MPD5904 he would've went berzerk on them, he has a temper!!! Ask his wife! Just kidding.
I would've been cool with them too. Some people are just idiots. You can't change them...

·
Registered
455 Posts
I know what I would've done, especially if I suspected drug activity.

Well, you've got a Steelers logo, so you probably would have joined them! Haha, I'm just kidding MPD. I'm a Cleveland fan, so I had to make that joke. ;)

Sammonator, about all you can do is bide your time and wait for the morons to leave. You could try asking them to hurry up, but that usually just makes them slow down...or so it seems. Too bad they made your brother late though, I know that would make me mad.

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
i always give a crude remark to people who tie up ramps ,but only when it is peak times of course.you shoulda said something . guy 1 coulda moved his rig to work on the hole.

·
Akron
2,435 Posts
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not trying to be rude on purpose, but instead have no clue about common ramp courtesy. I therefore try to help them out by explaining to them what a dumb azz they are.

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,589 Posts
I agree with leeabu. Most people dont know your not allowed to tie up the ramp and dont care if they are in the way simply because its their turn. I always kindly mention something. Most say thanks I dint know while others are jerks. I love West Branch because the rangers inforce ramp etiqute all the time.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
If they just had their boat beached on the ramp, and were off doing somethng else, I would have had to move it to an adjacent piece of shoreline and tied it off. Or it could have possibly "somehow" ended up floating away from the shore. A polite reminder may have been in order. A simple " hey mister can you make room for us to load up?"

Frustrating situation for sure.

Huntnbull

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree with leeabu. Most people dont know your not allowed to tie up the ramp and dont care if they are in the way simply because its their turn. I always kindly mention something. Most say thanks I dint know while others are jerks. I love West Branch because the rangers inforce ramp etiqute all the time.

If common sense don't tell people to NOT tie up the ramp then these people need put away for everyone's good or at least not allowed to own a damn boat or a firearm.
I also like the idiots that put their boat on the trailer then pull it up far enough to walk around the back without getting wet and then loading everything into their vehicle and then tying down right there.
I had this happen and told him they have pull off spots above JUST for that stuff, he took the hint and went to the pull off area.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
F.Y.I.

Am I crazy because I didn't go off on these folks? My brother had to be somewhere and was late because of their action/inaction. There were 2 other parties (at least) that were as pissed as we were because of these "tools".

How would you have handled this? I would love to hear your response(s)!

Tight lines-
Well, I did go off on two guys because of this similar situation. I tried to apologize, but instead one of the two just proved what an a$$ he was by his comments posted. After all he was the d... who stood around b.s. ing on the good half of the ladue ramp while I sat and waited. I used to think sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and wait. But the more I experience people, the less I seem to like them. Speak your peace, let them know the rules/ettiquette, and if they can't handle it then they don't belong on the darn lake to begin with.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well, I did go off on two guys because of this similar situation. I tried to apologize, but instead one of the two just proved what an a$$ he was by his comments posted. After all he was the d... who stood around b.s. ing on the good half of the ladue ramp while I sat and waited. I used to think sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and wait. But the more I experience people, the less I seem to like them. Speak your peace, let them know the rules/ettiquette, and if they can't handle it then they don't belong on the darn lake to begin with.

Someone in this thread was the one tying the ramp up or am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Tatonka,

I think you are reading it wrong. My situation occurred recently at another boat lauch.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Another common thing is people fishing right on the ramp, Then when your headed in ya hear the kid say "daddy hes gonna run over my line!" I waited that day for 5 mins just outside the ramp till i finnally said we we trying to load up. I shoulda known, the bobber was as big as a cue ball. I say its best to wait it out till ya realize they dont really know how it works.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am a new boater. I just got my boat this spring. My boss is an experianced boater and has given me alot of direction. I pull up into the prep area,ready my craft, my girlfriend knows her role, (dont think Im an *******) once its off the trailer she pulls out of the way if the ramp is busy while I move the truck.My bitch is the jet skiers that think the ramp is their personl maintance bay. If your vessel wont run dont bring the crap to the lake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
" If your vessel wont run don't bring the crap to the lake"

ha ha that was an awesome line. Amen brother

·
Registered
854 Posts
My time is NO LESS important than theirs, so they will be reminded of that...first to state the facts,...... if that does not work, their ignorance/stupidness/selfishness will get the appropriate response in a very quick manner.......

I dont expect people to read my mind, so I will let them know so that we can both cut through the chase.

·
Banned
94 Posts
i agree with bobby. im in sales and deal with people all day. the last thing i wanna do on the lake is deal with dumb people. my line ive said to folks tying up the ramp is , hay! **** or get off the pot! works every time. with the right tone of voice, and a bulldog look on your face they move quick. ha like fishing, its all in the presentation........;.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts